Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Platinum Status for Upgrade

Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,

I will be traveling on Japan Airlines later this year from JFK to NRT. I am a American Airlines Platinum member, which translates to a OneWorld Sapphire member. I booked my flight through AA. I was wondering if there is any chance I would be upgraded on my Japan Airlines flight. Does anyone have any luck with this or any suggestions? Is it even work asking at checkin for a free upgrade? I'll be traveling for my honeymoon and very new to platinum status so sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mihirmj
Hello all,

I will be traveling on Japan Airlines later this year from JFK to NRT. I am a American Airlines Platinum member, which translates to a OneWorld Sapphire member. I booked my flight through AA. I was wondering if there is any chance I would be upgraded on my Japan Airlines flight. Does anyone have any luck with this or any suggestions? Is it even work asking at checkin for a free upgrade? I'll be traveling for my honeymoon and very new to platinum status so sorry if this is a dumb question.
low

you could ask and check if ur flight is full, but ure pretty low down the pecking order
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka

low

you could ask and check if ur flight is full, but ure pretty low down the pecking order
That's putting it mildly.

JAL only upgrades if they are overbooked, once they've made it through JAL Diamonds, JAL JGP, JAL JGC, JAL Sapphire, and Oneworld Emerald it is very unlikely that there is a need to upgrade a Oneworld Sapphire. And also any JMB members wanting to use points for upgrade.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Very low probability of overbooking and even lower probability to get to a lowly OWS after they have gone through the long list of JAL elites.
Im a JAL JGC and even that usually puts me behind 20 or so JGPs and Diamonds (literally on all of my many flights).
So, unless you are willing to pay the fare difference to upgrade to Biz, or the premium economy upsell at the counter, just forget about it.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
You almost certainly wont get upgraded and there is absolutely no point asking for a free upgrade at check in. If it is to happen (flight overbooked in y but not in other travel classes which would be unusual on this route except maybe on a few peak summer dates) jl will decide who to upgrade rather than giving it to those who ask.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA, DL
A few years back, we were flying back from TSA (Taipei) via HND to SFO. From TSA to HND, we were in Economy; while from HND to SFO, in Premium Economy. I was OWS with BA. When we checked in at TSA, we were polite and courteous. We didnt ask for any upgrades. The agent gave us our boarding passes and off we went. I didnt notice that our seat numbers from HND to SFO were changed until several hours later at the HND lounge. We were pleasantly surprised and happy with the upgrade.

I guess that you dont need to ask for the upgrade, since Sapphires are low on the pecking order. If your flight is overbooked, and there is enough to go around, youd be sure that JL would get you upgraded. You dont want to come across as feeling entitled. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.