JL F Japanese Whisky program change

Old Feb 19, 19, 12:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 723
JL F Japanese Whisky program change

No more Hibiki 17.

New F class pour is Hibiki Blender's Choice (NAS).
MattEvan is offline  
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:16 pm
  #2  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DCA
Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Posts: 1,167
What route did you experience this on? The online menu indicates that the 17 or Blender's Choice would be available, possibly depending on the route.: https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/menu/pdf/drink/nrt_jfk_f_d_201902.pdf I haven't seen menus for March yet.
Beltway2A is offline  
Old Feb 19, 19, 12:20 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 723
Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
What route did you experience this on? The online menu indicates that the 17 or Blender's Choice would be available: https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/menu/pdf/drink/nrt_jfk_f_d_201902.pdf, but I haven't seen menus for March yet.
JL43 // HND to LHR

Senior purser said it's 17 until JL's stock runs out, and then there is no more available for them to buy.
Beltway2A likes this.
MattEvan is offline  
Old Feb 19, 19, 2:52 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JGC Sapphire
Posts: 54
That's a shame. Suntory announced last year that they'd be discontinuing both Hibiki 17 and Hakushu 12 last year due to stock shortages, so it makes sense. Unfortunately until what's currently in their barrels matures, all we can do is wait.
Mizunara is offline  
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:14 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 202
I fly SFO > HND in 6 days....hope there is at least a splash left to try. I'll try to update what was available post enjoyment.
tpsmith82 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 4:24 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 202
Well back to report....just finished a ful F cabin from SFO to HND and I can confirm there was no Hibiki 17. Also, by the time I asked for a glass of the Hibiki she also said that the Blenders choice was loaded, but all gone at that point...Still a great flight.
Beltway2A and Tokyoite like this.
tpsmith82 is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 10:35 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by tpsmith82 View Post
Well back to report....just finished a ful F cabin from SFO to HND and I can confirm there was no Hibiki 17. Also, by the time I asked for a glass of the Hibiki she also said that the Blenders choice was loaded, but all gone at that point...Still a great flight.

Thanks for reporting back! I've never had Blender's Choice, but just by the name is sounds mediocre! So they were out of that too huh? Do you recall is Chivas Royal Solute is still on the menu? If so, that might be my go-to in November...it was pretty good last time I had it in 2015, but would never pay the MSRP for a bottle.
stillmatic is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 2:35 pm
  #8  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,573
Originally Posted by stillmatic View Post
Thanks for reporting back! I've never had Blender's Choice, but just by the name is sounds mediocre! So they were out of that too huh? Do you recall is Chivas Royal Solute is still on the menu? If so, that might be my go-to in November...it was pretty good last time I had it in 2015, but would never pay the MSRP for a bottle.
The Royal Salute is still on the menu.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 1, 19, 5:48 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Asia
Programs: Yes
Posts: 572
First it was Yamazaki 12 that was drained. Then some Hakushu. Then Hibiki.
4 years ago Yamazaki 12 was around USD100 at duty frees. Now you get nothing.
I stocked up mini bottles of Yamazaki 12s at OKA duty free.
SKRan is offline  
Old Mar 1, 19, 5:54 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Asia
Programs: Yes
Posts: 572
Suntory must be laughing. Oh by the way ANA has Hibiki 21 on HND-JFK/LHR/FRA, 17 on other routes.
https://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/g...f_201903_d.pdf
joeaf likes this.
SKRan is offline  
Old Mar 1, 19, 2:56 pm
  #11  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,573
Originally Posted by SKRan View Post
Suntory must be laughing. Oh by the way ANA has Hibiki 21 on HND-JFK/LHR/FRA, 17 on other routes.
https://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/g...f_201903_d.pdf
The 17 is apparently coming in a limited number of miniatures per flight.

There has for a long while been rumours that supply from Suntory would dry up completely, and they are around again now. The story is that Suntory suspended production, and revived it again later, but there will be a gap with no 17 and 21 available. I'll leave it to the connoisseurs to bring the ups and downs on these rumours
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Apr 11, 19, 8:49 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 658
Flew JL3 JFK -> NRT this week. Choice of whiskeys were:
- Chivas Regal Royal Salute 21 Years
- Suntory Hibiki Blenders Choice
- L&G Woodford Reserve
edsh is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 11:39 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 64
Here everyone,

Since I think this is basically the Whisky master thread. Any reports on current J-Whisky offerings?

Is it safe to presume this month and next month's will be Hibiki's Blender's Choice?

Also, any thoughts on ordering the Hibiki over Mori Izo(shochu)?
stillmatic is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 3:52 pm
  #14  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 9,573
Originally Posted by stillmatic View Post
Here everyone,

Since I think this is basically the Whisky master thread. Any reports on current J-Whisky offerings?

Is it safe to presume this month and next month's will be Hibiki's Blender's Choice?

Also, any thoughts on ordering the Hibiki over Mori Izo(shochu)?
That's a bit like asking Tanqeuray gin over Grey Goose vodka? Two very different things. I am not a whisky drinker, so I'd take the Mori, but lots of people don't like shochu so they'd pick the other way.
Tokyoite likes this.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 10:33 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
That's a bit like asking Tanqeuray gin over Grey Goose vodka? Two very different things. I am not a whisky drinker, so I'd take the Mori, but lots of people don't like shochu so they'd pick the other way.

Just like your example shows two spirits that are actually very similar at their core (grain alcohols), I think the overlap is enough to justify most spirit drinkers.

I have limited experience with shochu, but many high-proof aged shochus in the US are marketed as 'whisky.' So my experience is more in these high-proof shochus made from rice, rather than Mori Izo's sweet potato.

Given that, I'm sure someone can comment on differences and preference.

Or if current offering is Hibiki's Blender's Choice, then I'm sure they can comment of value there. Both Mori and Blender's Choice are very hard to find in the states. But myself not having experience tasting either, someone may be able to relate Blender's Choice to an offering I may be experienced with.

For example, Blender's Choice < Harmony

Or Blender's Choice > Yamazaki 12.

Any discussion like that is valued to me.
stillmatic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread