Flying JAL from TPE or MNL to Europe

Old Feb 17, 19, 8:36 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC MM
Posts: 1,432
Flying JAL from TPE or MNL to Europe

I have been trying search flights from TPE or MNL to Frankfurt return and always prefer flying with JAL Economy because I am traveling with my son and JAL is simply the best in Y even if I have to pay a little more but it looks like it is not possible to buy tickets originating in SE Asia.

Could this be due to slightly backtracking? I can't imagine it is since SQ is offering flights and it's even further than going up to NRT/HND and then on to Europe.

Just wondering if anyone has an answer or if there is some other way to book JAL to Europe short of issuing 2 separate tickets.
yvrcnx is offline  
Old Feb 17, 19, 11:19 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: MP, BR
Posts: 373
I think JAL just doesn't offer that routing option on one ticket.
kaka likes this.
Chromie25 is offline  
Old Feb 18, 19, 9:24 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,996
SQ may have chosen to offer those routings, but JAL has chosen not to offer any routings from Asia to Europe, with the exception of Korea to Europe.
(Either they don't see the market to bother offering it, or simply don't bother to file such a fare.)
Just chose an alternative from the various airlines avilable (BR/SQ/TG/CX/CA/CI/ME3 etc.). Or, fly two separate tickets via Tokyo!
Tokyoite is offline  
Old Feb 18, 19, 11:02 am
  #4  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DCA
Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Posts: 1,325
As others have noted, fare rules most likely won't allow routing through Japan for those routes. For TPE in particular though, TPE-FRA is around 4 miles shorter than NRT-FRA. I don't disagree that JAL offers one of the best Y products out there, but you'd be adding an extra 1300 or so miles to your journey in the opposite direction to get it.
Beltway2A is offline  
Old Feb 18, 19, 11:24 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 2,559
https://flights.app.goo.gl/Gw3JM

There obviously are fares filed or Google flights wouldn't be able to find it. The issue seems to be actually booking
ajeleonard is offline  
Old Feb 18, 19, 11:48 am
  #6  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DCA
Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Posts: 1,325
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
https://flights.app.goo.gl/Gw3JM

There obviously are fares filed or Google flights wouldn't be able to find it. The issue seems to be actually booking
Plugging your search into ITA indicates that this is actually two fares, ONN0N8DI (between Taiwan and Japan) and SLXAPTS (between Japan and Area 2). It looks like end-on-end ticketing is possible, but there's not a fare filed between TPE and FRA on JL.
Beltway2A is offline  
Old Feb 18, 19, 2:11 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC MM
Posts: 1,432
Thanks everyone, very helpful. I understand it's a detour but then people fly from the US via IST to other destinations in Central and even North Europe.
Personally I wouldn't mind the detour at all but understand why JAL might not file those fares, especially if they know it would be very low yield.
yvrcnx is offline  
Old Feb 18, 19, 8:25 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 12,790
Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
As others have noted, fare rules most likely won't allow routing through Japan for those routes. For TPE in particular though, TPE-FRA is around 4 miles shorter than NRT-FRA. I don't disagree that JAL offers one of the best Y products out there, but you'd be adding an extra 1300 or so miles to your journey in the opposite direction to get it.
Looking at the route China Airlines has to take from TPE to FRA to avoid Chinese airspace, Narita is not going ro be much of a mile wise detour, though of course the stop does add time.

But considering that people regularly fly London to Cape Town via DXB, or London Tokyo via DXB, I doubt this level of detour is much of a show stopper for most people

yvrcnx likes this.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Feb 18, 19, 10:34 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: YVR
Programs: AC MM
Posts: 1,432
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Looking at the route China Airlines has to take from TPE to FRA to avoid Chinese airspace, Narita is not going ro be much of a mile wise detour, though of course the stop does add time.

But considering that people regularly fly London to Cape Town via DXB, or London Tokyo via DXB, I doubt this level of detour is much of a show stopper for most people

That's what I was thinking too with regards to the detour since it's practiced by all airlines. I can for example fly YVR - FRA - LIS or SFO - IST - FCO and these are common routings.
In the end it's JAL not seeing value in offering routes from other Asian cities via Tokyo to Europe, if they did, I would be the first one to book these kind of routing.
kaka likes this.
yvrcnx is offline  
Old Feb 19, 19, 1:53 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
As others have noted, fare rules most likely won't allow routing through Japan for those routes. For TPE in particular though, TPE-FRA is around 4 miles shorter than NRT-FRA. I don't disagree that JAL offers one of the best Y products out there, but you'd be adding an extra 1300 or so miles to your journey in the opposite direction to get it.
only china airlines offer the nonstop. i can think of many reasons why one would be looking for an alternative

btw, whist the great circle distance is 4mi shorter, tpefra avoids entering china so has a detour (tpefra block time is 90 mins longer than nrt fra)
kaka is offline  
Old Feb 19, 19, 4:50 am
  #11  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DCA
Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Posts: 1,325
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Looking at the route China Airlines has to take from TPE to FRA to avoid Chinese airspace, Narita is not going ro be much of a mile wise detour, though of course the stop does add time.

But considering that people regularly fly London to Cape Town via DXB, or London Tokyo via DXB, I doubt this level of detour is much of a show stopper for most people
Originally Posted by kaka View Post

only china airlines offer the nonstop. i can think of many reasons why one would be looking for an alternative

btw, whist the great circle distance is 4mi shorter, tpefra avoids entering china so has a detour (tpefra block time is 90 mins longer than nrt fra)
Thanks for pointing this out, for some reason I assumed either BR or LH would fly this. Apparently not. I completely missed the detour.
kaka likes this.
Beltway2A is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: