Flying JAL from TPE or MNL to Europe

Old Feb 17, 19, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM
Flying JAL from TPE or MNL to Europe

I have been trying search flights from TPE or MNL to Frankfurt return and always prefer flying with JAL Economy because I am traveling with my son and JAL is simply the best in Y even if I have to pay a little more but it looks like it is not possible to buy tickets originating in SE Asia.

Could this be due to slightly backtracking? I can't imagine it is since SQ is offering flights and it's even further than going up to NRT/HND and then on to Europe.

Just wondering if anyone has an answer or if there is some other way to book JAL to Europe short of issuing 2 separate tickets.
Old Feb 17, 19, 11:19 pm

Programs: MP, BR
I think JAL just doesn't offer that routing option on one ticket.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
SQ may have chosen to offer those routings, but JAL has chosen not to offer any routings from Asia to Europe, with the exception of Korea to Europe.
(Either they don't see the market to bother offering it, or simply don't bother to file such a fare.)
Just chose an alternative from the various airlines avilable (BR/SQ/TG/CX/CA/CI/ME3 etc.). Or, fly two separate tickets via Tokyo!
Old Feb 18, 19, 11:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
As others have noted, fare rules most likely won't allow routing through Japan for those routes. For TPE in particular though, TPE-FRA is around 4 miles shorter than NRT-FRA. I don't disagree that JAL offers one of the best Y products out there, but you'd be adding an extra 1300 or so miles to your journey in the opposite direction to get it.
Old Feb 18, 19, 11:24 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
https://flights.app.goo.gl/Gw3JM

There obviously are fares filed or Google flights wouldn't be able to find it. The issue seems to be actually booking
Old Feb 18, 19, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
https://flights.app.goo.gl/Gw3JM

There obviously are fares filed or Google flights wouldn't be able to find it. The issue seems to be actually booking
Plugging your search into ITA indicates that this is actually two fares, ONN0N8DI (between Taiwan and Japan) and SLXAPTS (between Japan and Area 2). It looks like end-on-end ticketing is possible, but there's not a fare filed between TPE and FRA on JL.
Old Feb 18, 19, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I understand it's a detour but then people fly from the US via IST to other destinations in Central and even North Europe.
Personally I wouldn't mind the detour at all but understand why JAL might not file those fares, especially if they know it would be very low yield.
Old Feb 18, 19, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
As others have noted, fare rules most likely won't allow routing through Japan for those routes. For TPE in particular though, TPE-FRA is around 4 miles shorter than NRT-FRA. I don't disagree that JAL offers one of the best Y products out there, but you'd be adding an extra 1300 or so miles to your journey in the opposite direction to get it.
Looking at the route China Airlines has to take from TPE to FRA to avoid Chinese airspace, Narita is not going ro be much of a mile wise detour, though of course the stop does add time.

But considering that people regularly fly London to Cape Town via DXB, or London Tokyo via DXB, I doubt this level of detour is much of a show stopper for most people

yvrcnx likes this.
Old Feb 18, 19, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Looking at the route China Airlines has to take from TPE to FRA to avoid Chinese airspace, Narita is not going ro be much of a mile wise detour, though of course the stop does add time.

But considering that people regularly fly London to Cape Town via DXB, or London Tokyo via DXB, I doubt this level of detour is much of a show stopper for most people

That's what I was thinking too with regards to the detour since it's practiced by all airlines. I can for example fly YVR - FRA - LIS or SFO - IST - FCO and these are common routings.
In the end it's JAL not seeing value in offering routes from other Asian cities via Tokyo to Europe, if they did, I would be the first one to book these kind of routing.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 1:53 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
only china airlines offer the nonstop. i can think of many reasons why one would be looking for an alternative

btw, whist the great circle distance is 4mi shorter, tpefra avoids entering china so has a detour (tpefra block time is 90 mins longer than nrt fra)
Old Feb 19, 19, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post

Originally Posted by kaka View Post

only china airlines offer the nonstop. i can think of many reasons why one would be looking for an alternative

btw, whist the great circle distance is 4mi shorter, tpefra avoids entering china so has a detour (tpefra block time is 90 mins longer than nrt fra)
Thanks for pointing this out, for some reason I assumed either BR or LH would fly this. Apparently not. I completely missed the detour.
kaka likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: