Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Japan has tentatively granted JL 11.5 slot pairs and NH 13.5 slot pairs: https://r.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO48713010Z10C19A8MM8000

Official allocation: http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/c.../001305161.pdf

US: JL 6 NH 6
China: JL 2 NH 2
Russia: JL 1 NH 1
Australia: JL1 NH 1
India: JL 0.5 NH 0.5 (flight will use day time + night time pair)
Italy: NH 1
Turkey: NH 1
Finland: JL 1
Scandinavia: NH 1
Print Wikipost

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:16 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Hopefully the upcoming mid-term management plan update will shed some light on JAL's plan. Will see if they plan to accelerate A350 deliveries or switch over to international config deliveries first. Or perhaps order more 787s?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
When are these likely to come online? Any chance my LAX-NRT in October becomes LAX-HND...?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by etiene
When are these likely to come online? Any chance my LAX-NRT in October becomes LAX-HND...?
October of 2019? Unlikely... article above has Summer 2020 as the start, but that's for US carriers with just a mention of slots for Japanese carriers without start dates.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:54 pm

Did we get trumped and all slots are going to american carriers?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by jgchiker
Did we get trumped and all slots are going to american carriers?
Not sure which "we" (Japan? Europe? ), but no, not all slots are going to US carriers. US carriers are receiving 12 daily slot pairs (8760 annual slots) out of 39,000 additional annual slots, which leaves 30,240 additional annual slots (~42 daily slot pairs) for non-US carriers. Japanese allotment appears to be roughly the same as US, so another 12 slot pairs leaving half of the new allotment for non-US/Japanese carriers.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etiene
end of March 2020
etiene likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Not sure which "we" (Japan? Europe? ), but no, not all slots are going to US carriers. US carriers are receiving 12 daily slot pairs (8760 annual slots) out of 39,000 additional annual slots, which leaves 30,240 additional annual slots (~42 daily slot pairs) for non-US carriers. Japanese allotment appears to be roughly the same as US, so another 12 slot pairs leaving half of the new allotment for non-US/Japanese carriers.
More precisely, 24 daily slot pairs are set aside for flights to/from the US. US airlines will get half of those (12 daily slot pairs), allocated through the US government, and Japanese airlines will get the other half, allocated through the Japanese government. This was part of the deal for opening up the US military controlled airspace to the west of HND. There isn't a lot of public detail yet as to what will happen to the other slots. Presumably some will be allocated to international routes and split 50/50 between airlines from Japan and airlines from other countries, while some will be allocated to domestic routes. A separate issue is that the current domestic slot allocations at HND expire next January, and there is talk about completely revamping the allocation to allow LCCs more opportunities to serve HND.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Would love to see IAD and have another east coast option.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by joejones
A separate issue is that the current domestic slot allocations at HND expire next January, and there is talk about completely revamping the allocation to allow LCCs more opportunities to serve HND.
Whoa, that's pretty big. Would this also perhaps even the tables for ANA and their "captive carriers" (for lack of a better word... AIR DO, Starflyer, etc.) versus JAL who is on their own?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:03 pm

Newsroom - American Airlines to Apply for Additional Service at Tokyo?s Haneda Airport - American Airlines Group, Inc.

AA posted their HND wishlist

2x DFW
1x LAS
1x LAX (in addition to the existing LAX)

Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The LAX red-eye is the most exciting piece of that news for me -- ANA will no longer be the only overnight option. Though I guess this means there will also be an early morning departure from HND to LAX or LAS, which would not be as much fun.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Newsroom - American Airlines to Apply for Additional Service at Tokyo?s Haneda Airport - American Airlines Group, Inc.

AA posted their HND wishlist

2x DFW
1x LAS
1x LAX (in addition to the existing LAX)

Seriously? Almost no chance for them to get 2x DFW and 2x LAX...but the red-eye LAX isn't using the day-time slots I guess? And if that's their plan...what's left for JL?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Surprised DL didnt ask for 12

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...haneda-456005/

HA wants 3x HNL lol
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
Seriously? Almost no chance for them to get 2x DFW and 2x LAX...but the red-eye LAX isn't using the day-time slots I guess? And if that's their plan...what's left for JL?
Guess AA is counting JL on HND-ORD. But I still hope JAL could also add HND-LAX, preferably daytime (like 2pm ish?)
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer
Guess AA is counting JL on HND-ORD. But I still hope JAL could also add HND-LAX, preferably daytime (like 2pm ish?)
That was my guess. Seeing the AA red eye though, I wonder if JAL might add that from other locations as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.