Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Japan has tentatively granted JL 11.5 slot pairs and NH 13.5 slot pairs: https://r.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO48713010Z10C19A8MM8000

Official allocation: http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/c.../001305161.pdf

US: JL 6 NH 6
China: JL 2 NH 2
Russia: JL 1 NH 1
Australia: JL1 NH 1
India: JL 0.5 NH 0.5 (flight will use day time + night time pair)
Italy: NH 1
Turkey: NH 1
Finland: JL 1
Scandinavia: NH 1
Print Wikipost

12 additional HND-US daytime slots are up for grab

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Another hint from the same JAL executive quoted in post 60: HND-LAX is one of the routes under consideration, but they would not drop NRT-LAX as there is room for demand growth on both routes.

https://trafficnews.jp/post/86523
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
11 daily flights between LAX and TYO? Looking forward to the rock bottom fares. Sometimes LAX barely scratches half of SFO, pricing wise.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:18 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
11 daily flights between LAX and TYO? Looking forward to the rock bottom fares. Sometimes LAX barely scratches half of SFO, pricing wise.
it’s rock bottom for some carriers
Old May 30, 2019, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Hopefully, that means we can get a bit more variety in timing than currently.
joejones likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:41 am

I think that's true for economy class, but less so for premium cabins, which are relatively easy to sell on a city pair like LAX-TYO.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
NRT 6
JL 1 AA 1
UA 1 NH 2
SQ 1

HND 3
NH 1
AA 1
DL 1

JL can certainly enter this market with only 1 flight to NRT. LAX is a premium heavy market and I find pax would want to be on a JAL or ANA flight more than any of its JV partners for premium products.

As for fares going rock bottom in economy, that’s certainly something that NH/JL don’t have to worry about with the cabin geared premium heavy. JV may play a role but it should only help AA/JL in this case as they are not only picking up cattle pax from OW, but from all competitors as well.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by joejones
I think that's true for economy class, but less so for premium cabins, which are relatively easy to sell on a city pair like LAX-TYO.
For a vast majority, that's all that will matter.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:18 am

Lightbulb

For a vast majority, that's all that will matter.
Economy pax are not really a "vast majority" for JAL since JAL's planes are so premium-heavy. AA, DL and UA are probably bearing the brunt of the bloodbath on this route.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:09 pm

Economy pax are not really a "vast majority" for JAL since JAL's planes are so premium-heavy. AA, DL and UA are probably bearing the brunt of the bloodbath on this route.
Yes, I was speaking from the market as a whole, not just one airline. After all, it's inter-airline competition that induces all of this in the first place.

I'm more curious whether SQ stays on this route or decides to call it quits. The current LAX-NRT-SIN isn't that great for pax ending their journey in SIN and there are several direct flights at this point from the West Coast and JFK. From NRT pax, getting into the far-off airport in the evening isn't ideal when there will be almost, if not an equal number of options from HND.

Last edited by FireEmblemPride; Jun 3, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I'm more curious whether SQ stays on this route or decides to call it quits. The current LAX-NRT-SIN isn't that great for pax ending their journey in SIN and there are several direct flights at this point from the West Coast and JFK. From NRT pax, getting into the far-off airport in the evening isn't ideal when there will be almost, if not an equal number of options from HND.
This is little old information, but I used to live at Los Angeles area and once I read an interview of a head of North America of Singapore Airlines on Los Angeles Times business section. One of the question asked was about LAX-NRT-SIN flight, as extra long haul fuel efficient aircraft come out (such as 787 and A350XWB) will SQ keep LAX-NRT-SIN when flying LAX-SIN non-stop become more of norm? The head of SQ at North America said that TYO flights (HND/NRT) have highest revenue (paid ticket) occupancy rate in F and J in entire SQ route system. The guy said that SQ has no intention of terminating LAX-NRT-SIN
joejones likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
This is little old information, but I used to live at Los Angeles area and once I read an interview of a head of North America of Singapore Airlines on Los Angeles Times business section. One of the question asked was about LAX-NRT-SIN flight, as extra long haul fuel efficient aircraft come out (such as 787 and A350XWB) will SQ keep LAX-NRT-SIN when flying LAX-SIN non-stop become more of norm? The head of SQ at North America said that TYO flights (HND/NRT) have highest revenue (paid ticket) occupancy rate in F and J in entire SQ route system. The guy said that SQ has no intention of terminating LAX-NRT-SIN
I remember paying $2500 for an RT J ticket on NRT-LAX a few years ago. I can understand why. If they think they can keep it, then that'll be great as the competition will be very vibrant.

Technically Garuda is still planning to join this market as well...

(In my post above, I meant EWR BTW!)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I remember paying $2500 for an RT J ticket on NRT-LAX a few years ago. I can understand why. If they think they can keep it, then that'll be great as the competition will be very vibrant.

Technically Garuda is still planning to join this market as well...

(In my post above, I meant EWR BTW!)
As Garuda plans to launch (have launched?) a codeshare agreement with JAL on tpac, I think the plans for using their own metal on LAX are on ice.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:52 am

At the AGM on Tuesday, JAL's CEO said they will not announce new HND routes until the fall, so I guess we will have to keep speculating for a while longer.

国際線の就航便数が約4割増加予定の羽田空港については、2019年の秋ごろに同社の具体的な便数や航路を 発表する予定だ。
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:57 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
At the AGM on Tuesday, JAL's CEO said they will not announce new HND routes until the fall, so I guess we will have to keep speculating for a while longer.
Nothing can be announced when they don't have the slots needed
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
JAL Haneda slot increase from 2020

国土交通省は羽田空港の新飛行ルート開設に伴う来年3月の国際線発着枠の増加で、全日本空輸に1日13.5 便、日本航空に11.5便割り当てる方向で最終調整に入った。

JAL is getting 11.5 pairs of slots in Haneda (ANA is getting 13.5, in comparison).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.