Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JGC Premier vs JMB Diamond (and partner status option)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JGC Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Hi,

Is it worth keeping JGC status after achieving JMB Diamond since the JGC Premier and JMB Diamond perks seem to be almost identical.
Currently I am paying through the nose for the JAL credit card annual fee.
Perhaps the biggest perk is the bonus miles for those holding a JGC JALCARD (credit card) upon purchasing a JAL ticket?

Also follow up question is related to the service selection for choosing partner status option: if I exit from JGC (and therefore would be JMB Diamond and not JGC Diamond), then would my partner would not have to sign up for a JGC JALCARD? In the past being JGC Premier has hindered me from choosing this option.

Understand this is a bit of a rabbit hole so appreciate the advice!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:02 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
You need JGC for 5* benefits
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
You need JGC for 5* benefits
Thanks JALPAK- so you're referring to intangibles like service and upgrades, and tangibles such as milestone luggage tags, calendars etc...?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:00 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Holding the JAL credit card allows you to receive a 5,000 FOP bonus (8,000 FOP if also JGP or Diamond) after your first JL flight.

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I noticed there isn't much difference in benefits between both Premier and Diamond. It seems only the Service Selection is slightly better.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Hay Yau
Currently I am paying through the nose for the JAL credit card annual fee.
Switch to the cheapest card (club A card) at 90usd/year
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:08 pm

If you have JGC, then best to keep it. "Leaving JGC" means cancelling your credit card and hence you lose the "almost for life" Saphire status awarded to JGC members.
You should just switch to the cheapest JGC card.
Also, althought the difference is minor, but how do you plan to requalify for Diamond for 2020? On JAL or another OW airline?

If on JAL, then the 5000 FOP bonus, the recent NRT-SEA and NRT-MNL double FOP bonuses, the domestic double FOP for a month bonus are all there to make it easier to requalify on JAL.
Furthermore, the more than double miles bonus (130%) on ALL AA/BA/IB marketed flights exclusively for JAL elites makes it easy to rack up a ton of JAL miles.

Finally, keeping the JAL card and registering for the JAL Card Tour Premium (20 USD/year) gives you 100% miles for ALL JAL flights that typically earn less than 100% (tokuwari, sakitoku, most international economy fares etc.) Another JGC perk that makes it easy to rack up a ton of JAL miles.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Jan 6, 2019 at 5:08 am
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
If you have JGC, then best to keep it. "Leaving JGC" means cancelling your credit card and hence you lose the "almost for life" Saphire status awarded to JGC members.
Also, althought the difference is minor, but how do you plan to requalify for Diamond for 2020? On JAL or another OW airline?

If on JAL, then the 5000 FOP bonus, the recent NRT-SEA and NRT-MNL double FOP bonuses, the domestic double FOP for a month bonus are all there to make it easier to requalify on JAL.
Furthermore, the more than double miles bonus (130%) on ALL AA/BA/IB marketed flights exclusively for JAL elites makes it easy to rack up a ton of JAL miles.

Finally, keeping the JAL card and registering for the JAL Card Tour Premium (20 USD/year) gives you 100% miles for ALL JAL flights that typically earn less than 100% (tokuwari, sakitoku, most international economy fares etc.) Another JGC perk that makes it easy to rack up a ton of JAL miles.
I did not catch that they increased the bonus for BA flights, in 2018 it was "only" 100% miles bonus om BA marketed flights. Still very decent bonus.
​​​​​
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Is Tokuwari applicable for tour premium ?
At least in Japanese page, Tokuwari isn't listed as a fare for tour premium.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
Is Tokuwari applicable for tour premium ?
At least in Japanese page, Tokuwari isn't listed as a fare for tour premium.
i stand corrected on this
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I did not catch that they increased the bonus for BA flights, in 2018 it was "only" 100% miles bonus om BA marketed flights. Still very decent bonus.
​​​​​
Just double checked the JAL site, IB and BA still earn 100% bonus. Only AA and JAL flights has the 130% bonus
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Just double checked the JAL site, IB and BA still earn 100% bonus. Only AA and JAL flights has the 130% bonus
Thanks for all your insights so far.
I plan on staying with JAL, they are my main carrier. Most of the perks you listed (except the 5,000 FOP) are open to not just JGC but also Diamond members too though.

The reason I have stayed, and probably will stay, with the platinum card (and therefore JGC regardless of status) is for the "Add on miles". If you purchase any JAL group ticket then you get 2 miles per 100 yen as opposed to 1 miles per 100 yen (normal shopping point mileage), correct me if I'm wrong.
Good shout on the JAL card tour premium for getting more miles, I've not done a JAL tour before but this definitely good to know!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
The reason I have stayed, and probably will stay, with the platinum card (and therefore JGC regardless of status) is for the "Add on miles". If you purchase any JAL group ticket then you get 2 miles per 100 yen as opposed to 1 miles per 100 yen (normal shopping point mileage), correct me if I'm wrong.
You get additonal 2 miles per 100 yen (so, 4 miles per 100 yen in total) when purchasing JAL tickets.

BTW, I use AMEX for puchasing JAL tickets, because it earns 3 points per 100 yen (i.e ANA 3 miles).
(addtionally, via rebates.jp, you can earn additonal 1 rakuten point per 100 yen, i.e. ANA 0.5 miles)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
You get additonal 2 miles per 100 yen (so, 4 miles per 100 yen in total) when purchasing JAL tickets.

BTW, I use AMEX for puchasing JAL tickets, because it earns 3 points per 100 yen (i.e ANA 3 miles).
(addtionally, via rebates.jp, you can earn additonal 1 rakuten point per 100 yen, i.e. ANA 0.5 miles)
Thanks, I'm on that card too.
How did you get 4 miles per 100 yen total in your initial sentence?
I calculate 3 points per 100 yen as you mention in your second sentence. 1 shopping mile and 2 add on miles with platinum amex.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:56 am

Thanks, I'm on that card too.
How did you get 4 miles per 100 yen total in your initial sentence?
I calculate 3 points per 100 yen as you mention in your second sentence. 1 shopping mile and 2 add on miles with platinum amex.
When you purchase good/service/ticket from designated shop, or dine at a designated restaurant, you get 1 shopping miles and 1 additonal special retailer mile.
JAL online ticket/sales is one of those special retailer shop.
So,
1 shopping mile
1 special retailer mile
2 add on miles
In total, you get 4 miles per 100 yen.
JAL gold card gets 1 add on mile, so 3 miles in total per 100 yen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.