FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Booking Seats JAL Business FRA-NRT in Jan ( BA Avios redemption) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1947279-booking-seats-jal-business-fra-nrt-jan-ba-avios-redemption.html)

The _Banking_Scot Dec 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Booking Seats JAL Business FRA-NRT in Jan ( BA Avios redemption)

Hi,

I have just redeemed BA Avios for 2 JAL flights ( booked as JAL 408/407) from FRA to NRT in Jan but when using the BA booking reference on JAL.com it just calls up my name with limited other information ( and no space to select seats)

Do you know if it is possible to book seats and if so how would I do it please ( I did not see any details when doing a search)

Many thanks

TBS

Tokyoite Dec 23, 2018 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 30568530)
Hi,

I have just redeemed BA Avios for 2 JAL flights ( booked as JAL 408/407) from FRA to NRT in Jan but when using the BA booking reference on JAL.com it just calls up my name with limited other information ( and no space to select seats) .Do you know if it is possible to book seats and if so how would I do it please ( I did not see any details when doing a search) Many thanks. TBS

Economy class booking?
Can you see the "select seats" button on the right hand side of your booking?

The _Banking_Scot Dec 24, 2018 1:03 am

Hi tokyoite,

no this is a business class booking. I did not see a seat selection icon but will have another look today

many thanks

tbs

CPH-Flyer Dec 24, 2018 1:47 am

The US region site has historically always been the best place for non JAL bookings and seat selections. I have not tried since they went to Amadeus as generally the options on the Japan site has gotten better with Amadeus.

An alternative is to call JAL to get it fixed.

The _Banking_Scot Dec 24, 2018 2:04 am

Hi,

thanks. Will try that.
it is just a flying visit to Tokyo for 3 nights ( but it is Tokyo) with no availability from the UK and will see the Christmas lights in ginza shinjuku and the carretta shiodome

regards tbs

The _Banking_Scot Dec 24, 2018 5:40 am

Hi,

still no joy online (Ba.com where I had booked my flights said seats available at check in)
so I phoned jal UK and got answered straight away on the general line and got aisle seats assigned

3c outbound to nrt and 7h bound to fra with all windows having been booked

i do prefer window seats but I guess this is what happens when you book at the last minute but will ask at check in if any windows have opened up.aircraft is a b787-9

many thanks

tbs

CPH-Flyer Dec 24, 2018 5:57 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 30569690)
Hi,

still no joy online (Ba.com where I had booked my flights said seats available at check in)
so I phoned jal UK and got answered straight away on the general line and got aisle seats assigned

i do prefer window seats but I guess this is what happens when you book at the last minute but will ask at check in if any windows have opened up.aircraft is a b787-9

many thanks

tbs

I would look to check in online the second it opens if it was me. Window seats are often blocked for award redemption.

Tokyoite Dec 25, 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 30569690)

if you are a OW elite, adding your ffp number unlocks those blocked seats at T-96.

The _Banking_Scot Dec 25, 2018 11:29 am

Slight Change of plans

Hi,

Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the advice.

It has been an interesting 24hrs

As Frankfurt was proving to be interesting to get to from my home near Edinburgh I was contemplating giving up on Oneworld and flying with Lufthansa or KLM to get to FRA.
However I was checking last night and all of a sudden BA was showing availability for the same days
LON-HND JL J
HND-LON JL F!!!

( Where is my Credit card!!!!)

after finding it and entering the details it started processing only to advise ...one of the flighrs has sold out! ( Nooo!!!)

However checking Paris CDG there was availability

CDG-HND JL F
HND-LHR-CDG JL F/BA CE

for the same dates

so I have booked the following ( BA .com also showing seats being assigned) as one ways ( I can cancel FRA-NRT for 35GBP)

2nd Jan CDG HND JL 46 F (2K)
6th Jan HND LHR JL 43 F (1K)
First time in JL F so looking forward to it ( JL uses the Air France lounge at CDG-not la premiere but the pictures from trip reports look ok)

My previous flights into tokyo ( 5 now) have been into NRT but have flown out of HND 1 ( love the Red suite) and I think the K side is the wrong side for views of Mt Fuji but I have seen fuji-san close up (from a CX flight NRT-HKG) before

Regards

TBS

CPH-Flyer Dec 25, 2018 11:43 am

The Air France J lounge used by JAL is pretty decent. Normally 2 champagnes, and food is not bad. But still a J lounge for an F flight.

rickywk Dec 25, 2018 8:54 pm

I can select windows seat for my AM award