FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Skywider Economy Seats on International Flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1945226-skywider-economy-seats-international-flights.html)

floridastorm Dec 11, 2018 11:23 am

Skywider Economy Seats on International Flights

Flying BKK/NRT/JFK in Economy. For those of you who have actually flown in these seats, how do they compare to other airlines economy seats? Supposedly JAL has wider economy seats and with better pitch. Trying to avoid another bout of DVT. :rolleyes:

CPH-Flyer Dec 11, 2018 3:50 pm

The important point for width is that JAL is still having 9 seats per row on international 777 and 8 seats per row on the 787. Were almost all airlines go for 10 and 9. But even compared to other 9 per row seating in a 777 they feel slightly wider.

The standard pitch is 34" close to Main Cabin Extra on AA.

floridastorm Dec 11, 2018 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30524627)
The important point for width is that JAL is still having 9 seats per row on international 777 and 8 seats per row on the 787. Were almost all airlines go for 10 and 9. But even compared to other 9 per row seating in a 777 they feel slightly wider.

The stabdard pitch is 34" close to Main Cabin Extra on AA.

Sounds like a plus. Thanks..................................^

dici Dec 11, 2018 10:15 pm

It is very wide and more legroom in general. It would say you won't feel any cramp.

Just I'm not so liking the padding. Sometimes I feel the padding is too hard sometimes is fine

Jinxed_K Dec 13, 2018 9:41 am

I have to agree with CPH-Flyer above.
It was one of the more comfortable economy products I've been in... which I think it was the feeling of spaciousness due to the one less seat rather than the actual seat size. (787-8 to BOS in my case).
There definitely was more room owing to the slimmer seat + pitch combination and number of seats across, but being a 12+ hour flight, getting up every once in a while was still a necessity for me.

The premium economy product isn't bad either, though I suppose that would depend on your budget and what the price difference is on your route.

floridastorm Dec 13, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K (Post 30531344)
I have to agree with CPH-Flyer above.
It was one of the more comfortable economy products I've been in... which I think it was the feeling of spaciousness due to the one less seat rather than the actual seat size. (787-8 to BOS in my case).
There definitely was more room owing to the slimmer seat + pitch combination and number of seats across, but being a 12+ hour flight, getting up every once in a while was still a necessity for me.

The premium economy product isn't bad either, though I suppose that would depend on your budget and what the price difference is on your route.

When you are able to book the Japan Airlines international flights through American Airlines the pricing is about 1/2 what Japan Airlines alone charges. Have no idea how they can do that, but they do. The strange thing is that PE on JAL JFK to BKK through American is $950 one way. Through JAL it's $1,800 . From BKK to JFK through American it is $1,800 PE one way the same as JAL.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Dec 15, 2018 4:30 am

Skywider isn't going to prevent DVT. You probably already have these - but for others coming across this thread 'flight socks' are great - they make a huge difference to reduce swelling and elimiate any pain associated with sore legs: https://www.travelandleisure.com/sty...lying#sockwell

floridastorm Dec 15, 2018 9:04 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 30538016)
Skywider isn't going to prevent DVT. You probably already have these - but for others coming across this thread 'flight socks' are great - they make a huge difference to reduce swelling and elimiate any pain associated with sore legs: https://www.travelandleisure.com/sty...lying#sockwell

Yes, thank you. I already need to wear the compression socks (they call them stockings because they go all the way from your foot to the top of your thigh). They really do work and greatly assist in mitigating any clots that might form due to long distance flight traveling. According to government stats all long distance flyers are susceptible to getting DVT and that 50% of these travelers develop DVT conditions after only one long distance flight. That is why the FAA has been petitioned to have the airlines make economy seating 34 inch pitch on international flights. They are framing the petition as a medical requirement.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Dec 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by floridastorm (Post 30538539)
That is why the FAA has been petitioned to have the airlines make economy seating 34 inch pitch on international flights. They are framing the petition as a medical requirement.

That would be fantastic if they were successful! If all airlines were forced to do it we'd still have competition and lower fares, and finally some comfort again!

CPH-Flyer Dec 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 30539268)
That would be fantastic if they were successful! If all airlines were forced to do it we'd still have competition and lower fares, and finally some comfort again!

I would not object to such a regulation. But taking 3" to 4" extra per row would not do wonders for the pricing. Taking a United 77W they would have 20 rows to add 3" to, assuming they don't want to add to Economy Plus pitch (34" currently) that will cost them two rows, or 20 passengers per flight. And if they don't want to kill any E+ revenue, probably another row of 10. Which financially speaking would probably mean no more E+.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Dec 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30539816)
I would not object to such a regulation. But taking 3" to 4" extra per row would not do wonders for the pricing. Taking a United 77W they would have 20 rows to add 3" to, assuming they don't want to add to Economy Plus pitch (34" currently) that will cost them two rows, or 20 passengers per flight. And if they don't want to kill any E+ revenue, probably another row of 10. Which financially speaking would probably mean no more E+.

I don't know JAL's current financial position... but their wider seats and increased pitch haven't resulted in a fare increase (at least in some markets like Australia). Probably does affect their bottom line.

CPH-Flyer Dec 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 30539861)
I don't know JAL's current financial position... but their wider seats and increased pitch haven't resulted in a fare increase (at least in some markets like Australia). Probably does affect their bottom line.

Have you looked at the prices JAL charges out of Japan? The main part of their passengers originate in Japan, and paying 150,000 (1300 USD) yen return to London should be considered a cheap ticket. Unless you do a package tour. The competitive landscape is very different.

But JAL's financial position is pretty good.

floridastorm Dec 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Actually most of the Asian airlines have 34 inch pitch as their standard international economy. It is only the western airlines that seem to think that 31 inch pitch is just dandy for 14-16 hours. If the Asian airlines can do it why can't the western airlines? The Asian airlines have to be competitive also. I am truly hoping that the FAA has the guts to make this ruling. The western airlines won't charge any more as they have to compete with the pricing of the Asian airlines and other carriers that have better seating and service.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Dec 15, 2018 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by floridastorm (Post 30540349)
Actually most of the Asian airlines have 34 inch pitch as their standard international economy. It is only the western airlines that seem to think that 31 inch pitch is just dandy for 14-16 hours. If the Asian airlines can do it why can't the western airlines? The Asian airlines have to be competitive also. I am truly hoping that the FAA has the guts to make this ruling. The western airlines won't charge any more as they have to compete with the pricing of the Asian airlines and other carriers that have better seating and service.

Unfortunately I think 31-32 is more likely the norm for Asian airlines... including the likes of Thai, Singapore, Air China, Cathay in that mix. There are some configurations at the 32-34, but they're becoming increasingly rare with the introduction of new planes and 10 abreast in coach.

floridastorm Dec 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 30540429)
Unfortunately I think 31-32 is more likely the norm for Asian airlines... including the likes of Thai, Singapore, Air China, Cathay in that mix. There are some configurations at the 32-34, but they're becoming increasingly rare with the introduction of new planes and 10 abreast in coach.

The Asian airlines that have 34 inch pitch on most of their aircraft types are:
ANA
Asiana
Garuda
Japan
Korean
Scoot
Thai on a couple of their long distance planes.

There are some 32-33 inch pitch configurations on some other Asian carriers. Believe there are only two or three that have 31 inch pitch.

I'm just going by Seat Guru for my information.

At any rate, I still maintain that anything less than 34 inch pitch is detrimental to a passenger's health. That's on the airlines and not the passenger. It will be only a matter of time before there may be class action lawsuits against the airlines for huge medical payments for people who have developed blood clots resulting in pulmanary embolism, strokes, and heart attacks.directly caused by DVT.