Status bonus mileage

Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Status bonus mileage

I have just banked in all my previous JL flights and immediately become JMB Sapphire from basic card. Will I still get the status bonus mileage benefit for Crystal members?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I am guessing you did a retro claim for a bunch of flights to go instantly to Sapphire?

I am not sure what the rules are, but it will not happen by itself, it it did not happen at the time the mileage posted. So you would need to reach out to JMB and explain your case. My best guess for the outcome is "Computer says no"
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
You could do it but they will only make special cases. I don't think yours qualified if you just decide to bank them all now.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Yes, that's pretty much my situation. Instead of doing a retro all at once, all the non JL was done in June and all JL was done recently. Let me give JMB a call to see what they can do. Anyway, the difference is probably around 3k miles, so not a big loss if unsuccessful.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Chatter
Yes, that's pretty much my situation. Instead of doing a retro all at once, all the non JL was done in June and all JL was done recently. Let me give JMB a call to see what they can do. Anyway, the difference is probably around 3k miles, so not a big loss if unsuccessful.
I doubt they will do much. As the status requires the JAL flights to be posted to get the 50% JAL group FOP.

But I could be surprised, so do let us know what happens.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Simple answer is you won’t, due to the 2 day time lag between accruing the required miles for the status and actually achieving the status after the system updates.

Also, retroactively claiming miles flown before you achieved the status does not entitle you to receive bonuses as though you already had achieved the status when you flew.
i.e. if you achieve crystal level on July 1st, flights flown before that date will not earn you crystal level bonuses even if retroactively claimed after July 1st.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Jan 2, 2019 at 4:51 am
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
I have a related question.

So while I flew a ton this year on AA for work in the US, I only have enough JAL miles to ding my JGC over to JGC Crystal for 2018.

I have an already booked RT to Sapporo on 12/26 that'll push me over the line. However, I was debating going to Aomori on 12/23, looking at that mileage, that'll push me over the line to hit JGC Crystal too.

So my question is, is hitting JGC on 12/23 via the Aomori RT going to actually reflect when I fly the Sapporo RT on 12/26 and get the bonus miles, or not enough time? And if not enough time, how long for JAL systems to reflect the change?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestic flights normally post reasonable quickly, but as they both will post with roughly the same time delay, I would expect the 23rd flight to post in time for the 26th flight to post under the new status.

Based on what colleagues have seen of status change, it is in the system the same day as the final flight for that level posts. I have never actually tested that myself.
​​​​​
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:41 pm

Thanks, CPH-Flyer.

For a $100 it's worth the gamble.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
How did it go? @NYCBunny?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:40 pm

Ack, sorry. Wasn't actively watching this while in Japan.

It worked out perfectly. Process flow was like this:

Flew out Sunday 12/23
Miles need to ding JGC Crystal showed on 12/25
Status change to JGC Crystal appeared in my account when I woke up at 6AM JST 12/26

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.