F Class - Complimentary Wifi ?

Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS GOLD
F Class - Complimentary Wifi ?

Hello,

I read that JAL provides complimentary WiFi for F class passengers. I am flying soon from LAX-NRT. What kind of speed can I expect from the WiFi?

Thank you
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I have not run a speed test on it, but in my experience the Telekom powered inflight WiFi is the best option around. The transpac route is good, I sometimes find that the very northern routes of the Siberian route to Europe have problems with coverage.

I can support company VPN and working on all the systems I need. I have had inbound IP calls coming, though never picked up.

I doubt it will support streaming video services. Though I have not tried that either.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:13 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I have not run a speed test on it, but in my experience the Telekom powered inflight WiFi is the best option around. The transpac route is good, I sometimes find that the very northern routes of the Siberian route to Europe have problems with coverage.

I can support company VPN and working on all the systems I need. I have had inbound IP calls coming, though never picked up.

I doubt it will support streaming video services. Though I have not tried that either.
Even if it’s fast enough for streaming, it would be really selfish for someone (not you obviously ) to do it given the very limited bandwidth and the rest of the passengers will be affected.

anyway, the wi-fi speed on LAX-NRT varies a lot. There were times the wi-fi was just not usable even when satellite was connected. And expect constant disconnect near Alaska and Russia too.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

Even if it’s fast enough for streaming, it would be really selfish for someone to do it given the very limited bandwidth and the rest of the passengers will be affected.

anyway, the wi-fi speed on LAX-NRT varies a lot. There were times the wi-fi was just not usable even when satellite was connected. And expect constant disconnect near Alaska and Russia too.
There are always outages on inflight WiFi, the further north the route goes, the worse it gets. I would guess south has the same problem, but I never tried. It has to do with the orbits of the satellites.

LAX NRT goes much further north than NRT LAX, giving a higher risk of connection loss to Japan. Though Tokyo to Europe often goes even higher north.

I think they actually block streaming services tbh. But I don't know.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:28 pm

There are always outages on inflight WiFi, the further north the route goes, the worse it gets. I would guess south has the same problem, but I never tried. It has to do with the orbits of the satellites.

LAX NRT goes much further north than NRT LAX, giving a higher risk of connection loss to Japan. Though Tokyo to Europe often goes even higher north.

I think they actually block streaming services tbh. But I don't know.
I can find out soon but I guess you will beat me to that
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can find out soon but I guess you will beat me to that
Shockingly enough, I don't have a JAL flight until the 5th of December....
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:48 pm

Shockingly enough, I don't have a JAL flight until the 5th of December....
Ha! I will find out whether JL blocks YouTube and some other less popular streaming sites before you do then
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:29 pm

Either JL blocks YouTube or the speed is so slow that I can’t even load anything. Facebook video didn’t work wither
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Either JL blocks YouTube or the speed is so slow that I can’t even load anything. Facebook video didn’t work wither
I would imagine that they block it.... Can test on Moscow in a few days.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:13 pm

It’s crawling now can’t even upload photos to twitter or facebook. No problem posting here though lol
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s crawling now can’t even upload photos to twitter or facebook. No problem posting here though lol
Special priority for FT posts? That would be cool
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:39 pm

Special priority for FT posts? That would be cool
I still couldn’t upload photos but text seems to be fine. And OLCI works eventually.

According to the CA, we are flying extra north today and it may have contributed to the poor connection
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still couldn’t upload photos but text seems to be fine. And OLCI works eventually.

According to the CA, we are flying extra north today and it may have contributed to the poor connection
You are going pretty high north today....

Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:02 pm

You are going pretty high north today....

not north enough, I want to go see Santa
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:03 am

Even over Japan, the WiFi was so unstable it’s barely usable. But the 788 flight to HKG has so much better WiFi speed. Not sure if that’s because people aren’t using it or the equipment or location is better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.