JL335 HND-FUK canceled due to oversold

Old Nov 22, 18, 6:56 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
JL335 HND-FUK canceled due to oversold

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/other/181121.html

Apology : Flight cancellation of JAL335 on November 21.

Thank you for your patronage of JAL Group.

Regarding JL335 (HND-FUK) scheduled on November 21, 2018, seat reservations exceeded the number of available seats, causing a lack of seats. In response, JAL took action such as asking passengers with flight bookings to transfer to another flight voluntarily. However, as it took time to coordinate, departure from Haneda Airport was significantly delayed and it became uncertain whether the flight would arrive at Fukuoka Airport by the curfew. Therefore, the flight was cancelled.

We will implement measures to ensure that this does not happen again.

Please accept our deepest apologies for the inconvenience caused to many passengers and persons affected.

(To customers affected by the flight cancellation)
To customers with seat reservations on JL335 who were affected by the cancellation including those who transferred to another flight voluntarily, we would like to provide explanations on settlement of accommodation costs and other matters. We ask that you kindly contact the toll free number below.

Dedicated contact
JAL335 Customer Center
TEL : Toll free 0120-25-9750 (03-6740-1361)
Business hours : November 22, 2018 (Thu) 17:00 - 20:00
November 23, 2018 (Fri) - November 25, 2018 (Sun) 10:00 - 18:00
I guess JL is so not used to deal with oversold situation that they had to cancel the entire flight instead LOL This is just too funny. That's the other extreme compared to UA who would have dragged passengers off the plane just to operate the flight
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:04 am
Original Poster

FYI, the flight was scheduled to operated with 3-class 777-200 with 375 seats (14F, 82J, 279Y). JL sold 401 tickets and there were 6 no-shows. So there were 395 passengers and JL needed 20 volunteers...and they finally had 20 volunteers 35 min after the scheduled departure time
Old Nov 22, 18, 5:26 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Yeah, I got a note on this one from JAL in my inbox, despite not flying I guess leading in to a long weekend people where unwilling to get off..

Why not just offload the people with no seat assignment, only load luggage as seats are confirmed....
Old Nov 22, 18, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Yeah, I got a note on this one from JAL in my inbox, despite not flying I guess leading in to a long weekend people where unwilling to get off..

Why not just offload the people with no seat assignment, only load luggage as seats are confirmed....
thatís the mystery. I guess they try not to upset those 20 customers without seats so they asked for volunteers. And this results in upsetting all of the customers on the flight lol
Old Nov 22, 18, 6:55 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
I guess they are just not very used to handling this.

​​​​​​This went badly, and even more so than just kicking out the last 20 indiscriminately. I wonder if it was the junior intern running the gate that day....
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you need that many volunteers and for various reasons, people really want to take the flight, you need to increase the price offered and not just wait for more people to decide that they're willing to take a later flight, in this case the next day.
royng and jinglish like this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

I guess they are just not very used to handling this.

​​​​​​This went badly, and even more so than just kicking out the last 20 indiscriminately. I wonder if it was the junior intern running the gate that day....
you think some Japan based VIPs will take this lightly if you kick him out? There could be JMB Prestige amongst the 20 pax with unassigned seats.

I would just kick those JEP/Yokoso passengers instead, esp those potential freeloaders
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:08 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

you think some Japanese VIP will take this lightly if you kick him out? There could be JMB Prestige amongst the 20 pax with unassigned seats.

I would just kick those JEP/Yokoso passengers instead
The likelihood of having a Prestige in that group is very low, and as the JEP passengers anyway only can get a seat at check in,, there is a high chance that it is already them.

I am not saying don't ask for volunteers, just be ready to take action with the remaining unseated passengers once the deadline for departure in relation to curfew is there.
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

The likelihood of having a Prestige in that group is very low, and as the JEP passengers anyway only can get a seat at check in,, there is a high chance that it is already them.

I am not saying don't ask for volunteers, just be ready to take action with the remaining unseated passengers once the deadline for departure in relation to curfew is there.
but who do you seat first when there were 10 volunteers? Based on fare plus check-in time I guess?
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:18 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

but who do you seat first when there were 10 volunteers? Based on fare plus check-in time I guess?
Status and fare would be my two selection points
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Status and fare would be my two selection points
you still need check-in time as tie-breaker
Old Nov 22, 18, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
20,000 YEN + Lodging/Meal compensation sounds good if you don't need to be there within 12 hours.
Old Nov 23, 18, 1:06 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
20,000 YEN + Lodging/Meal compensation sounds good if you don't need to be there within 12 hours.
That sounds like about the lowest bump compensation I've heard of in the last two decades. Less than $200?

I average between $400-600 per bump. More in situations where the airline is really desperate or in the EU.
Old Nov 23, 18, 1:10 am

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
That sounds like about the lowest bump compensation I've heard of in the last two decades. Less than $200?

I average between $400-600 per bump. More in situations where the airline is really desperate or in the EU.
Yeah, seems a tad stingy.
Old Nov 23, 18, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, NH PLT+SFC, JL JGC+Sapphire, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
The ultimate flight cancellation was due to the Fukuoka airport curfew. In the midst of all this JAL realized they canít takeoff in time.

Search this Thread