Wiki Posts
Search

JAL Domestic F, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
JAL Domestic F, worth it?

In Japan for a month over the holidays, booking a couple of flights on the Japan Explorer's pass, but debating for the NRT<->FUK leg to spend a few hundred more for a ticket in F. Worth it for a 2 hour flight, or not really?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: JGC premier
Not really in my view. It’s a quick flight less than 3 hours and the seat is a recliner. Meal served is simple, tastes fine but nothing special. Not worth big premium over class J esp. on a short route like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It is just 8000 yen. The food depends a bit on departure time, some of the meals are very nice, some are a bit simple. For the routes where it is an option I generally book it if I can Osaka would probably be an exception, but I have yet to fly to Osaka as opposed to taking the Shinkansen
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is just 8000 yen. The food depends a bit on departure time, some of the meals are very nice, some are a bit simple. For the routes where it is an option I generally book it if I can Osaka would probably be an exception, but I have yet to fly to Osaka as opposed to taking the Shinkansen
it it’s just the usual 8000 difference of course it’s worth it but the OP mentioned a few hundred bucks difference (maybe he’s comparing different fare buckets? Not sure), in which case then I don’t think it’s worth it.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

I'm wondering where the 8000en difference is coming from myself. I'm comparing the discount Japan Explorer pass for tourist which is gonna clock in around $200 for r/t vs. a tokubin21 at 53,000en. I figure roughly $300 difference.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:27 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by NYCBunny
I'm wondering where the 8000en difference is coming from myself. I'm comparing the discount Japan Explorer pass for tourist which is gonna clock in around $200 for r/t vs. a tokubin21 at 53,000en. I figure roughly $300 difference.
Just request the upgrade at check-in to get the JPY8000 price
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Wow, that's an incredibly cheap upgrade from Y to F. Thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The general difference is 8000 yen, however you have the added point of moving from a booking class that can't confirm an F seat in advance to one that can. So that comes in to the equation as well. Which I did not include in my point...
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
In Japan for a month over the holidays, booking a couple of flights on the Japan Explorer's pass, but debating for the NRT<->FUK leg to spend a few hundred more for a ticket in F. Worth it for a 2 hour flight, or not really?
NRT-FUK ?
Really ? Which date are you flying ?
I couldn't find F service on NRT-FUK by random check.
Usually, NRT-FUK is operated by either of international configuration 73H and domesctiv configuration 73H.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:03 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
NRT-FUK ?
Really ? Which date are you flying ?
I couldn't find F service on NRT-FUK by random check.
Usually, NRT-FUK is operated by either of international configuration 73H and domesctiv configuration 73H.
even with 777 and an actual F cabin, JL doesn’t offer F service on that route. So I assume he was talking about HND-FUK
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Oops, you are correct, JALPak, I meant HND - FUK
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Just thought I'd add a data point on my recent First Class flight CTS-HND. Overall, I really enjoyed the flight and thought that First Class was worth it.

The First Class checkin at CTS was really nice, leading to a dedicated security that goes directly into the lounge. The First Class lounge itself was recently renovated and was beautiful, with a selection of 4 beers and a highball from the machines, plus Yamazaki 12 and other beverage options. During the flight, my seat was comfortable and service was excellent and friendly. The dinner meal was simple but very tasty. Great flight!

CTS

CTS JL First Class Lounge

Pochama likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Just thought I'd add a data point on my recent First Class flight CTS-HND. Overall, I really enjoyed the flight and thought that First Class was worth it.

The First Class checkin at CTS was really nice, leading to a dedicated security that goes directly into the lounge. The First Class lounge itself was recently renovated and was beautiful, with a selection of 4 beers and a highball from the machines, plus Yamazaki 12 and other beverage options. During the flight, my seat was comfortable and service was excellent and friendly. The dinner meal was simple but very tasty. Great flight!
This experience matches mine almost exactly. The ¥8,000 upgrade in my opinion is worth it particularly as at the time, it earned F status credits into QFF. I had an excellent crew and seemed to be the only person drinking anything on a weekday afternoon, the crew were delighted that I liked their Sake recommendation, insisting I had some more. (I mean, it'd be rude not to!) From memory there were only 4 or 5 of us in the cabin.
chrisny2 and kaka like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Sam Chui has an excellent vLog of the JAL domestic F flying CTS-HND. Have a look and evaluate if it is "worth it" the 8000 yen ($70) it costs.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Personally, I'd just spend the 1000jpy and get the class J upgrade if available. JEP+Class J would come out to 11,800jpy each way.
Not sure a JEP+8000jpy uprgade to F gives enough bang for the buck on a 1-2 hour flight, but it definitely is cheaper than booking it straight up.

It is something I'd like to try once to see how it really is though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.