Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Skipping last leg of inbound one-way award itinerary

Old Nov 4, 18, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Greetings, I have a trip to Japan coming up. The inbound and the outbound itineraries are on separate one-way award reservations.

The first, inbound (towards Japan) itinerary was supposed to end up in Hiroshima, leaving from Haneda, but I decided to change my trip plans and as result I want the inbound itinerary to end up in Haneda.

Ticket rules do not allow changes in sectors, they only allow changes to other flights available between the destinations.

So my question is, would skipping the last leg of the international inbound one-way award flight have any effect on the outbound one-way award flight?

Thanks!

EDIT - sorry for the improper terminology use, I meant cancelling the last leg of the OUTBOUND one-way award international itinerary.

Last edited by Sannomiya; Nov 5, 18 at 1:31 am
Old Nov 4, 18, 3:26 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
huh? last leg of the inbound itinerary is the last leg of everything...why would it affect other flights? But since two tickets are separate, it shouldn't have problem either way
Sannomiya likes this.
Old Nov 4, 18, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
huh? last leg of the inbound itinerary is the last leg of everything...why would it affect other flights? But since two tickets are separate, it shouldn't have problem either way
As the trip is to Japan, flights in/towards and out of Japan. Not sure if common practice in the forums is the opposite (out from and in towards the user's home base/1st departure point)? Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the reply.

Last edited by Sannomiya; Nov 4, 18 at 6:03 pm
Old Nov 4, 18, 9:00 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
OP's editing still confusing.
In terms of airline ticketing convesion, 'OUTBOUND' is always an itinerary from the originating point to the destination, and 'INBOUND' is an itinerary from the destination to the origin.
You had better not use OUTBOUND/INBOUND for other meanings in this forum.

Assuming your first award ticket is ORIGIN - xHND - HIJ, then you want to drop HND-HIJ ?
Strictly speaking, it is routing change. So, you have to reissue the ticket.
Practically, you have to clear immigraiont/custom at HND with your bag, So you can no-show for HND-HIJ.
Of course, there is a little chance that JAL see this as an invalid use of a ticket.
Sannomiya likes this.

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; Nov 4, 18 at 9:20 pm
Old Nov 5, 18, 12:56 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
If it's all in one ticket then it matters.

If it's two separate tickets (meaning two ticket numbers) then no it does not matter.
Sannomiya likes this.
Old Nov 5, 18, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
The outbound happens before the inbound. You are using the terms incorrectly. As stated above, if you are on separate tickets, the last flight of each can be skipped.
Sannomiya likes this.
Old Nov 5, 18, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Apologies for the misunderstanding, and thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
Assuming your first award ticket is ORIGIN - xHND - HIJ, then you want to drop HND-HIJ ?
Strictly speaking, it is routing change. So, you have to reissue the ticket.
Practically, you have to clear immigraiont/custom at HND with your bag, So you can no-show for HND-HIJ.
Of course, there is a little chance that JAL see this as an invalid use of a ticket.
Yes, that is the case. For convenience and to be in the safe side I will not check in my baggage, which is only one small trolley case anyway. More than that and traveling around gets very slow and cumbersome.

Last edited by Sannomiya; Nov 5, 18 at 1:42 am

Search this Thread