Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

LHR-HND co-pilot arrested for excessive alcohol consumption before flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:01 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/other/181101.html

On October 28, 2018, a Japan Airlines co-pilot scheduled to board flight JL044 from London Heathrow Airport to Tokyo Haneda Airport failed a breath test in violation of UK`s Aviation Law (Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003), which showed he had excessive alcohol. The individual was arrested by the police and gave a sample of blood to be tested.

On November 1 (5:00AM Japan Time), the company received an official notification from the local authorities following the results of a blood test, which concluded that the co-pilot was in violation by seeking to fly with a blood alcohol reading in excess of the permitted level; ultimately resulting in the prosecution of the individual.

Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20181101_39/

The copilot admitted to airline officials that he had drunk more than 1.5 liters of wine and more than 1.8 liters of beer in a hotel bar and in his room the night before.
That's a good chunk of alcohol to consume the night before. I'm guessing it was spread into the morning to hit that level of intoxication during the test (roughly equivalent of .20BAC). Didn't interact with any other JAL crew until being driven to the plane when the driver of the van noticed? Kind of surprising.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20181101_39/

That's a good chunk of alcohol to consume the night before. I'm guessing it was spread into the morning to hit that level of intoxication during the test (roughly equivalent of .20BAC). Didn't interact with any other JAL crew until being driven to the plane when the driver of the van noticed? Kind of surprising.
He did and he even passed the internal breath test. As a result of this, JAL will speed up the new generation device outport rollout. But yea, no idea why the other pilots didn't notice the smell during the internal breath test, esp when his alcohol level was 9.5 times over the legal limit.

https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/159158

乗務予定だった28日は、一緒に乗務する機長2人とともに午後5時ごろオフィスへ出社。アルコール感知器を 使い、3人で相互確認する呼気検査では、副操縦士からアルコール反応は検出されなかった。2人の機長やオフ ィス内の社員への聞き取り調査でも、副操縦士に変わった様子や言動は見られなかったという。
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:12 pm

Hard to tell from the NHK video clip. How many deep, sincere apolgy bows did a piss drunk pilot require at the presser?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I can understand that circumstances sometimes mean that a person ends up having a lot to drink when they don't intend to, or really should not.

But I really can't understand why he reports for duty, why would he not just report in sick. I do also understand Japanese work ethics were reporting in sick is seen as a terrible faux pa's, but he must be aware of the greater responsibilities.

Did the rest of the crew try to cover for him? Technically speaking they could probably have covered the flight no sweat.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I can understand that circumstances sometimes mean that a person ends up having a lot to drink when they don't intend to, or really should not.

But I really can't understand why he reports for duty, why would he not just report in sick. I do also understand Japanese work ethics were reporting in sick is seen as a terrible faux pa's, but he must be aware of the greater responsibilities.

Did the rest of the crew try to cover for him? Technically speaking they could probably have covered the flight no sweat.
Yea he should have just called in sick, just like the ANA Wings captain did the other day.

They ended up flying back with only 3 pilots anyway. It's really hard to believe why they didn't smell the alcohol during the internal testing. Maybe they all have stuffy nose caused by seasonal allergies LOL
heartface and Tokyoite like this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:49 pm

Very infrequent poster on here but I was on said flight. Knew nothing of this until today. All they said at the time was the pilot had 'been taken ill'. Suppose that's true. Sort of!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gl20
Very infrequent poster on here but I was on said flight. Knew nothing of this until today. All they said at the time was the pilot had 'been taken ill'. Suppose that's true. Sort of!
I would probably have used the term incapacitated. Not being specific, yet very accurate in this case.

Was this the English or the Japanese announcement? I am curious if there was a difference between the two.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

I would probably have used the term incapacitated. Not being specific, yet very accurate in this case.

Was this the English or the Japanese announcement? I am curious if there was a difference between the two.
or just say he’s arrested lol
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lucky at OMAAT made an interesting point i had not thought of. The flight departs around 7pm, if this level of blood alcohol comes from the evening before, how drunk was he the evening before? He must have been drinking through the day....
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:24 pm

Lucky at OMAAT made an interesting point i had not thought of. The flight departs around 7pm, if this level of blood alcohol comes from the evening before, how drunk was he the evening before? He must have been drinking through the day....
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. See the NHK link, he reportedly admitted drinking more than 1.5L of wine and 1.8L of beer. So at least two full bottles of wine and 5 beers.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. See the NHK link, he reportedly admitted drinking more than 1.5L of wine and 1.8L of beer. So at least two full bottles of wine and 5 beers.
Still that needs to be consumed reasonably close in to the flight to achieve those levels of blood alcohol, or he has like zero alcohol metabolism. Either way, this would have been visible a mile off to anyone, I would think.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:14 am
Original Poster

JAL has released an update to the incident and list of preventive measures: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/other/181101.html

Interim Investigation Report
  • In regards to the results of the in-house breathalyzer test, the company met with the individual on November 1 and received an apology for his actions. The company has also found that the results on the current breathalyzer model can be falsified. As a result, the company has grounds to believe that the individual performed an unlawful act by falsifying the results of the test.
  • In terms of the scent of alcohol, the two captains were interviewed on four occasions and recalled that the co-pilot discreetly kept his distance from the crew, which may have resulted in the inability to notice any scent of alcohol on the individual.
  • In total, thirteen individuals who had been in contact with the co-pilot (i.e. cabin crew and airport security personnel) were interviewed, but other than the bus driver, no one noticed the scent of alcohol. (5 Airline Staff / 8 Non Airline Staff)
  • The two captains were found at fault for neglecting to double-check the test results reported by the co-pilot.
  • In terms of the excessive consumption of alcohol, the company has found that the co-pilot lacked an awareness on the effects of alcohol, including the time it takes to fully decompose it out of one`s system. Based on the actions taken by the individual, the company has concluded that the co-pilot knowingly falsified his test results, while fully understanding the flaws of the current breathalyzer system.
So the co-pilot "falsified" the in-house breathalyzer test and by keeping a distance from the other pilots, they were not able to smell alcohol? What was his plan when they got into the cockpit?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
JAL has released an update to the incident and list of preventive measures: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/other/181101.html

So the co-pilot "falsified" the in-house breathalyzer test and by keeping a distance from the other pilots, they were not able to smell alcohol? What was his plan when they got into the cockpit?
Chewing lots of strong mint chewing gum?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:35 am

Chewing lots of strong mint chewing gum?
And mask due to a “cold”?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.