Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Unable to book JAL domestic first class

Hello,

Could use some help.

I'm located in USA.

Today is Oct 31, 2019

Trying to book First Class JAL Feb 19, 2019 ITM(Osaka) to HND(Tokyo), 2:30pm - 3:35pm. Flight JL 120

Unable to see anything other than coach availability on the JAL domestic website.

First class does show availability via Expedia or Chase Ultimate Rewards Portal (now run by expedia), However, upon checkout I get error messages that the fare is unavailable.

I do not understand how to book domestic first class on JAL. Seems impossible.

Any advice appreciated.

In contrast, I have been able to book ANA domestic first without any issues.

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:05 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Use jal.co.jp
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I can talk from my experience only. Standard domestic flight reservation for JAL starts 2 months in advance. There are restricted fare “Sakitoku” (先得) which the reservation is available prior to two month of the travel date. Currently reservation for using “Sakitoku” fare is available up till flights for March 30, 2019.

With my limited experience, it looked like domestic first class is not available by “Sakitoku” fare, “Sakitoku” fare is only available for economy and Class-J. On Japanese website of JAL (in Japanese) shows first class reservation for “Sakitoku” fare as「予約不可」, as reservation not possible.

It looks like domestic first class reservation on JAL is available only from two months before the flights. On my most resent reservation I made on JAL domestic flight, I made the reservation more than two month in advance on “Sakitoku” fare and was available only in economy and Class-J. I put the reservation on hold for Class-J, did not purchase ticket. I went back two months before the flight and saw first class availability on the flight.

It may be possible to make a reservation on domestic first class in JAL prior to two months before the flight if you make a reservation as part of international ticket, but I never tried that.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
You can book domestic F more than two months before when you combine it with an international reservation.

For example,
You can book ITM-HND-JFK-HND-ITM (all in F) for April 2019.
It costs 2,166,460JPY.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the info. I wish JAL would make the 2 month rule clearly known for their customers. This is poor customer service.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dfaiabohbir8
Thank you for all the info. I wish JAL would make the 2 month rule clearly known for their customers. This is poor customer service.
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/reservation/ticket/

I don't know how much more you want? A big flashing banner on reservation page to tell you to read the rules? Fares available before the 2 month mark already states F reservation isn't available. There's only so much the airline can do when the customer doesn't read the rules
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

I'll tell you what I want;

To quickly and easily find this information immediately prior to or during the booking process.

This information is found two clicks from the home page, first by finding a small link at the bottom of the home page, then deciding one needs to click on the "booking commencement date" link.

Never on any airline have I needed to read rules buried two pages deep to book a ticket.

The solution is easy; make it known during the initial flight search.

Who the heck needs to read "rules" to book a ticket? Make it simple like every other international airline.

Even Expedia.com and Chase Ultimate Rewards Reservation agents are not aware of this 2 month rule for domestic first class. I called personally to ask them to assist booking JAL flights for me; their answer was there was a "problem" with the JAL reservation engine. If professional travel agents cannot figure this out, I certainly should not need to.

Last edited by dfaiabohbir8; Oct 31, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by dfaiabohbir8
I'll tell you what I want;

To quickly and easily find this information immediately prior to or during the booking process.

This information is found two clicks from the home page, first by finding a small link at the bottom of the home page, then deciding one needs to click on the "booking commencement date" link.
I know exactly what you mean, and I fully agree.

If it displayed a the relevant info on the reservation page, then it's all good, but being two clicks away on a website that is not exactly designed the best in terms of ease of finding information is not a good thing.

I say that despite my generally being supportive of JAL...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.