Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narita Airport Lounge Closure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Comet21
  • They no longer allow you to specify which sushi pieces that you want. You have to grab the set that comes with the egg
Do they want people to throw away the egg by wasting food?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
writing from lounge now

overall a bit of letdown. feel very claustophobic as mostly wall amd where there is window it face airconditioning eqipment.

i agree someone mentiond 4th floor will be used as dining area in future (most likely with full alarcarte menu, restaurent style as area felt too plain to be a lounge). the room is square in shape with presumbaly a central kitchen in center, which suggest this hypothesis

sushi is set only. i can choose chutoro or hirame though. i dont like it, they try to fill u with futomaki... does FIRST really need o be that cheap? i wont throw food away

a hassel to pick food up. used to be all central now spread apart with lots of walking. thus i suspect it would soon be restauent style

lounge was rather busy at 4pm weekday felt like half the table was taken. would i come to Narita again for this? maybe not. done once and thats all i needed.

btw if u ask for "Tonkotsu".noodle u get the pork on top. noodle was not something i would pay for. (but CX dan dan noodle i would happily pay for if i could choose it)

Last edited by fakecd; Apr 4, 2019 at 3:04 am Reason: clarify bathroom
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:06 am

just to add

i moved to satellite F what an oasis! i count perhaps 5 pax in lounge... this is BIG difference to main building 4/F F.

also there is something about decor... the color tone at new lounge is light but at satellite F a lot more heavy wood.

best of all all food is within short reach (with soup stock too) only missing sushi/noodle. but even sake collection is identical...

if flight departs from satellite definitely stick to this side
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
My first visit to the renovated lounge today. Even though my flight is from the satellite building the check in agent recommended going to the newly opened 4th floor lounge.

The new lounge does very clearly have a dining area feel. 90% of the lounge are tables that are meant for eating. A small area at one end is more of a seating area.

As others have remarked, the tables along the walls and windows are placed quite close. And I would hope once the 3rd floor opens and less seating is needed they take one table out per block..

It is now 9:25, and I would say there are more open seats in the lounge than there typically was on the 3rd floor while the 4th was closed. So they did keep seating rather dense up here.

There is the sushi bar, two points for ordering the various tray sets, and one point for ordering the ramen and Japanese set. The buffet options are very limited.

At the moment they do offer Laurent Perrier champagne here, I don't know if that will continue, or once the renovation is complete it will revert to only being available in the satellite lounge.

I tried the sushi, which is same as usual. I did not ask for a customisation, but the person in front of me did and got it. The English text on the sign is the same, while the Japanese text does indicate that the sushi is only a available in the defined 3 piece set. I have to admit I don't remember what the exact text was I Japanese in the old sushi bar.

I tried the tonkotsu ramen, and while I have had better in town and certainly in Fukuoka, it was good. It came with the mustard pickles though I'd prefer to have them on the side rather than added from he beginning.

There is an elevator down, but I don't easlit see where they would add a staircase to connect to a seating area in the third floor.

As a dining area, I think it is a good solution and should it be combined with a 3rd floor seating area, it ends up being a quite good, but not excellent first class lounge..

rustykettel likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Like the Haneda Lounge, a bit of historical items here as well. First flight letters. Airlines used to issue these for all inaugural flights, and they were quite the collectors' items

rustykettel likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

There is an elevator down, but I don't easlit see where they would add a staircase to connect to a seating area in the third floor.

I have a feeling the staircase will be somewhere behind the wall on the picture above (where the flight display is) as that space is blocked-off on the floor map. Haven't tried knocking on the wall if it is solid or not so may be I should do on my next trip. Hahaha.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musashino22
I have a feeling the staircase will be somewhere behind the wall on the picture above (where the flight display is) as that space is blocked-off on the floor map. Haven't tried knocking on the wall if it is solid or not so may be I should do on my next trip. Hahaha.
That could be a possibility. Am back on the 21st, will have a closer look.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP CXDM, Bonvoy Gold, WOH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Amex Cent
Does anyone know if they are they welcoming back Oneworld emeralds now when not flying JAL?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by jetsetter1k
Does anyone know if they are they welcoming back Oneworld emeralds now when not flying JAL?
They really never denied any in the first place, except some very limited cases, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I never had a problem during the reno.
jetsetter1k likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetsetter1k
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
They really never denied any in the first place, except some very limited cases, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I never had a problem during the reno.
They do turn other airlines' passengers away during busy hours, and the signs clearly say that passengers flying AA, QF, CX, S7, MH, and UL should use the other lounges. BA and QR have their lounge agreement with JAL so their passengers are always welcome.

I asked at the front desk of the 4th floor lounge, as long as the lounge is not busy, they will accept all OWE passengers.

jetsetter1k likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:01 pm

Yeah, I think I saw this notice, but really, I've not had any trouble. Will check again on Sunday morning, I guess. Maybe they'll reject me and that'll just be my luck, heh.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yeah, I think I saw this notice, but really, I've not had any trouble. Will check again on Sunday morning, I guess. Maybe they'll reject me and that'll just be my luck, heh.
I have seen a fair share of people being sent away, and some friends have been turned away with Cathay boarding passes Though this has generally been at the peak of the morning crunch. First day ofr the March long weekend, there were a line of eligible passengers waiting to get an open seat. And they were turning people away.

It all depends on when you arrive.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by musashino22
behind that wall i think there is a VIP room. i saw ageent standing in front and when i was there i saw pact of 6 young "punks" (stereotypical spiky hair, lots of piearcing and rugged jeans and tank top sort of wear) and to be honest i was surprised to see such clientale at first (forgive me for prejudice) but when i saw one of them opn the door behind agent and went into that space...

so i suppose a VIP room, and maybe this "punks" were some Rock artists travelling F as vip...
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:55 am

Here is my photo album

Just want to give you the link to my photo album of the new First Class Lounge at 4th Floor

New JAL First Class Lounge (4th floor of main course)
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ca...lassLounge2019

Message Chair

Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:28 pm

such sadness.
So no problem entering, even though quite busy, but jesus, you can’t custom make the sushi combo anymore!

First they take away the unlimited sushi (3 max so had to line up every time), which is maybe not unreasonable, but now they take away the custom combo? Come on guys. That’s going to create so much waste - I like salmon and tuna, but I don’t really eat egg, so that’s going straight into the garbage. what the.

[edit] visually indicating the problem with this arrangement. and i was lucky because it’s tuna and salmon today ... i don’t even really enjoy squid, so the day it’s tuna, squid and egg. i basically will throw out 66%

i guess that means i’ll eat less, which is probably the intent here. but i really like their sushi!!

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; Apr 13, 2019 at 6:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.