Out of Fish Option in J - Twice

Old Sep 28, 18, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver, Marr LTTitanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Out of Fish Option in J - Twice

I requested the Western fish option on both outbound and return and, for both, was told that they were out of the fish, so I went with the beef instead. I was in the back/2nd cabin in J so maybe they take orders front to back, or was it just bad luck? For me it was just personal preference, but I can see that, for others, it might have been a bigger deal.
Old Sep 29, 18, 6:54 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Originally Posted by bosman View Post
I requested the Western fish option on both outbound and return and, for both, was told that they were out of the fish, so I went with the beef instead. I was in the back/2nd cabin in J so maybe they take orders front to back, or was it just bad luck? For me it was just personal preference, but I can see that, for others, it might have been a bigger deal.
There are others who know better than I probably but from what I know they look at JAL status first. Before I was a JAL diamond i was a CX diamond and also had this issue where they ran out of my choice even though I was OW emerald. Since I have been JAL diamond never a problem...YMMV
Old Sep 29, 18, 7:36 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier View Post
There are others who know better than I probably but from what I know they look at JAL status first. Before I was a JAL diamond i was a CX diamond and also had this issue where they ran out of my choice even though I was OW emerald. Since I have been JAL diamond never a problem...YMMV
Orders are front to back. On the 787s they seem to do both cabin at the same time back to front. I have never been asked out of order so to say, but I do by and large get my meal choice. I can't remember when it failed last time.

I am not sure if status actually do factor in, if it does it is not very obvious. I would guess they go out to the galley and prioritise, and then notify the unfortunate few.
Old Sep 29, 18, 10:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I am not sure if status actually do factor in, if it does it is not very obvious. I would guess they go out to the galley and prioritise, and then notify the unfortunate few.
I strongly suspect they prioritise in the galley, as you are notified of not getting your choice a while after you stated your meal choice.

I also have a suspicion that they have an internal prioritisation system that is a bit different from OWE/OWS etc. type of simple prioritisation.
I used to frequently miss out on my first choice as an OWE.

Since I started to frequent their domestic F flights, all that missing out on my first choice of meals completely stopped and always get my first choice on every international flight (domestic F doesn't offer any choice of meals). Greetings from the senior crew member started to happen very consistently at the same time. It feels too much to be a simple coincidence, and I am wondering if there is an internal scoring system in use.

The only alternative I can think of is that they used to not rank OWEs high in priority for meals but they started doing that about the time I started frequenting their domestic F.
Old Sep 29, 18, 11:04 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I strongly suspect they prioritise in the galley, as you are notified of not getting your choice a while after you stated your meal choice.

I also have a suspicion that they have an internal prioritisation system that is a bit different from OWE/OWS etc. type of simple prioritisation.
I used to frequently miss out on my first choice as an OWE.

Since I started to frequent their domestic F flights, all that missing out on my first choice of meals completely stopped and always get my first choice on every international flight (domestic F doesn't offer any choice of meals). Greetings from the senior crew member started to happen very consistently at the same time. It feels too much to be a simple coincidence, and I am wondering if there is an internal scoring system in use.

The only alternative I can think of is that they used to not rank OWEs high in priority for meals but they started doing that about the time I started frequenting their domestic F.
The only time in J I can remember not getting my choice, I was told immediately at the seat And I was also JAL Diamond at that time. I have always received my choices in F on JAL.

But somehow, there is probably a priority. And understanding that there was probably a reason why I could be told directly at the time I ordered.
Old Sep 29, 18, 11:15 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
The only time in J I can remember not getting my choice, I was told immediately at the seat And I was also JAL Diamond at that time. I have always received my choices in F on JAL.

But somehow, there is probably a priority. And understanding that there was probably a reason why I could be told directly at the time I ordered.
You didn't tell them to just change someone else's order when that happened? LOL
Old Sep 29, 18, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
You didn't tell them to just change someone else's order when that happened? LOL
Maybe I should have. But I did not....

To be honest, I am not too worried. Most options are usually rather good.
Old Sep 29, 18, 2:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

In my case, it was always sometime after. They went around the cabin telling people who were going to miss out.

My guess is that your choice probably didn't get loaded in your case (or they dropped the lot on the floor ), rather than someone else being given a priority over you, and that could well have been why they knew straight away.
Old Sep 29, 18, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
In my case, it was always sometime after. They went around the cabin telling people who were going to miss out.

My guess is that your choice probably didn't get loaded in your case (or they dropped the lot on the floor ), rather than someone else being given a priority over you, and that could well have been why they knew straight away.
Doubtful that it was not loaded, as I asked for the Japanese menu on LHR-HND.
Old Sep 29, 18, 4:06 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Doubtful that it was not loaded, as I asked for the Japanese menu on LHR-HND.
Was that a "we are primarily here for your safety" crew?
Old Sep 30, 18, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Was that a "we are primarily here for your safety" crew?
Can't remember to be honest.
​​​

Search this Thread