Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Seat assignment keeps changing itself - blocked seats?

Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PRO, BA S

I’m traveling on an U fare AA award for a JAL operated BOS-NRT - when I use my JAL PNR to try and modify my seat from an aisle seat (2C) to one of the available window seats (4A/K, 7A/K) and hit confirm, it confirms my seat, but then when I refresh the page it shows my seat as the original 2C again (AA app still shows 2C as well so it’s not a display issue).

Ive called JAL twice to assign the seat from their end and they have no problem selecting the seat but then it overrides them too and they just tell me to wait until I get to the airport to assign a window.

Any idea what’s going on here? On a 787-9 (the 2-2-2) 7 is a bulkhead so maybe those are overriding me because they’re bassinet seats (but oddly I can select them and hit confirm as opposed to selecting 1K in first where it’s just blocked out), but I can’t imagine row 4 (last row in a mini cabin) is a bassinet seat? Any advice on how to get a window assigned? For my first 787 flight I kind of want a window...

thanks
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by perkerkeem
Ive called JAL twice to assign the seat from their end and they have no problem selecting the seat but then it overrides them too and they just tell me to wait until I get to the airport to assign a window.
Same here. TA tried too, gets confirmation and approx. a minute later the system appears to override the seat selection.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
you dont have the status to get those seats. simple.
this allows full fare pax and/or high status pax to the the preferrable seats. im surprised not more airline use it.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by kaka
this allows full fare pax and/or high status pax to the the preferrable seats. im surprised not more airline use it.
Other airlines do that too but show those seats as blocked. It is counterintuitive to show passengers a range of empty seats that will not be allocated to them.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by kaka
Shouldn't the JAL phone agents (post #1 ) know that?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Shouldn't the JAL phone agents (post #1 ) know that?
maybe not. some just reads whatever comes back from screen.

i've been denied paying for an upgrade at the airport using miles on an JMB award ticket one time. sounds counter-intuitive and the lounge manager didnt know about it until i took out the award description in japanese
rustykettel likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Other airlines do that too but show those seats as blocked. It is counterintuitive to show passengers a range of empty seats that will not be allocated to them.
Indeed - I'm ticked off because I'd been able to select two bulkhead seats in PE on a forthcoming flight from HEL-NRT (not bassinet seats I might add) and had them allocated for several weeks.

Login today, and find that I'd been bumped from them into the middle and there's now no way of getting two non-bulkhead window seats together due to load. Check EF and lo, the bulkhead seats are now showing as free. I'll call JAL tomorrow and see what can be done, but it's still annoying that I could've happily kept two non-bulkhead window seats, but due to their system now find myself in worse seats...
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I am on a paid X business class fare. Using expert flyer I see some seats blocked, and a few in window empty. Looking at the seat map on JAL website to select a seat, all of the Window seats are occupied (this includes the blocked ones and the empty ones on expert flyer).

I might call in, but reading this thread it doesn't seem like that would help.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by perkerkeem

I’m traveling on an U fare AA award for a JAL operated BOS-NRT - when I use my JAL PNR to try and modify my seat from an aisle seat (2C) to one of the available window seats (4A/K, 7A/K) and hit confirm, it confirms my seat, but then when I refresh the page it shows my seat as the original 2C again (AA app still shows 2C as well so it’s not a display issue).

Any idea what’s going on here? On a 787-9 (the 2-2-2) 7 is a bulkhead so maybe those are overriding me because they’re bassinet seats (but oddly I can select them and hit confirm as opposed to selecting 1K in first where it’s just blocked out), but I can’t imagine row 4 (last row in a mini cabin) is a bassinet seat? Any advice on how to get a window assigned? For my first 787 flight I kind of want a window...

thanks
Do you have any status with AA?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I have AS status (but not AA), but they don't seem to care about that. The call center was busy today, they asked to call back. I will try tomorrow.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by roberto.triviani
I have AS status (but not AA), but they don't seem to care about that. The call center was busy today, they asked to call back. I will try tomorrow.
Your AS status will not help on seat availability.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by roberto.triviani
I am on a paid X business class fare. Using expert flyer I see some seats blocked, and a few in window empty. Looking at the seat map on JAL website to select a seat, all of the Window seats are occupied (this includes the blocked ones and the empty ones on expert flyer).

I might call in, but reading this thread it doesn't seem like that would help.
Blocked seats. These are only available before OLCI (T-24) based on your OneWorld Status.
At OLCI, free for all.

As a one world Sapphire, you can select the following business class window seats
From row 5 on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes rows 1-4 window seats)
From main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin)

As a non-status passenger (or Ruby member), you can only select the following business class window seats
From second row onward of second cabin on the 767, 787 and 772 (excludes all of the forward cabin window seats and first/exit row of main cabin)
From second row onward of main cabin on the 777W (excludes whole of mini cabin and first/exit row of main cabin)

As a OWE, you have unlimited access.
kevin.cash and rustykettel like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.