Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

NRT-YVR and NRT-SAN will get SKY SUITE upgrade in FY2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-YVR and NRT-SAN will get SKY SUITE upgrade in FY2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:27 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by musashino22
NRT-SAN is now showing up as SS8 (E12 Config - C30Y156) starting April 1st while NRT - YVR is still showing E03 (Shell Flat Neo).
Not surprised YVR is the last one left at all. Still sad that KIX got the crappy SSIII while SAN and probably YVR will get SS
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
Not surprised YVR is the last one left at all. Still sad that KIX got the crappy SSIII while SAN and probably YVR will get SS
guess thats gotta do with rotation
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:04 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka
guess thats gotta do with rotation
yea, would have been different had JL resumed KIX-LHR
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

yea, would have been different had JL resumed KIX-LHR
They seem to have changed the rotations quite a bit around the HCMC flights. I guess even more is coming now.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by musashino22
NRT-SAN is now showing up as SS8 (E12 Config - C30Y156) starting April 1st while NRT - YVR is still showing E03 (Shell Flat Neo).
i just noticed that this morning when my award flight finally ticketed and I could reserve seats. I was expecting the flat neo, but something didn’t look right on the seat map as the first block of economy finished at row 26, rather than row 29. A quick look at the JAL website confirmed that the layout and that the aircraft is fitted with the SS seats in J. A quick check on Expert Flyer showed that the change over occurs at the end of March/beginning of April. One thing I did notice though was that all window seats in the front cabin are blocked for JAL passengers with status. On the old neo config, only rows 1 and 3 were blocked.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: alaska
NRT-YVR is showing lie-flat at this time via the JAL website(dummy booking) and expert flyer for all dates I checked in March and February of 2019.

They have the 8 row configuration(5 actual rows of seats) with 6 across shown on seatguru as V-3. None of the flights showed the 10 row configuration(7 actual rows of seats) with the Neo-Seats.

The corresponding economy section also matches the layout of V-3.

I did book a date in March and was able to indeed book "lie flat" sky suite. However, the booking now reads "flat neo". Which of course, is the old seat..but the seat map is still showing the new map.

Is there another configuration of the neo that's not on seatguru? Have they simply not updated the coding on their website for this route?

Basically TL;DR: They have the "new" business/economy lay-out when you book and select your seat(v-3 on Seatuguru) which indicates sky suite but the website is still labeling the route as "lay-flat neo".

I guess I'll find out. :-)

Edit: see below.

Last edited by gdam22; Dec 28, 2018 at 4:45 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gdam22
NRT-YVR is showing lie-flat at this time via the JAL website(dummy booking) and expert flyer for all dates I checked in March and February of 2019.

They have the 8 row configuration(5 actual rows of seats) with 6 across shown on seatguru as V-3. None of the flights showed the 10 row configuration(7 actual rows of seats) with the Neo-Seats.

I did book a date in March and was able to indeed book "lie flat" sky suite. However, the booking now reads "flat neo". Which of course, is the old seat..but the seat map is still showing the new map.

Is there another configuration of the neo that's not on seatguru? Have they simply not updated the coding on their website for this route?

Basically TL;DR: They have the "new" business/economy lay-out when you book and select your seat(v-3 on Seatuguru) which indicates sky suite but the website is still labeling the route as "lay-flat neo".

Feb and Mar would still be FY2018 for JAL The fiscal year 2019 starts 1st of April. So, with the announcement of FY2019, earliest would be April .
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold

JAL's new lie-flat SS8 configuration looks REALLY alike the old J30 flat-neo configuration. The only ways you can (easily) tell if it is the new SS8 is to check the economy section -- the new SS8 will NOT have rows 27-29.

Also seatguru information can be very dated especially on some Asian carriers. You can check JAL's official seat maps here: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/5931/seatmap/seatmap.html

Just FYI, all shell flat neo configurations are now J30, so no more J42 non-lie flat.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Feb and Mar would still be FY2018 for JAL The fiscal year 2019 starts 1st of April. So, with the announcement of FY2019, earliest would be April .
Makes sense. Didn't realize Japan had a different fiscal year than the United States.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by JALOO5-Flyer
JAL's new lie-flat SS8 configuration looks REALLY alike the old J30 flat-neo configuration. The only ways you can (easily) tell if it is the new SS8 is to check the economy section -- the new SS8 will NOT have rows 27-29.

Also seatguru information can be very dated especially on some Asian carriers. You can check JAL's official seat maps here: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/5931/seatmap/seatmap.html

Just FYI, all shell flat neo configurations are now J30, so no more J42 non-lie flat.
This makes much more sense. Indeed, 27-29 are still there. The bad thing is of course at booking during seat selection they said "suite" and expertflyer is still mistakenly showing it as a "suite." Again, not sure if this was a problem with their website or they swapped equipment as I didn't check econ at the time.

Guess I'll see if I can switch the route to a lie flat route.

Last edited by gdam22; Dec 28, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:40 pm

Question for those of you who have travelled in the NEO. Do you think it's worth it to make the following change to get the Apex suite instead?

Instead of NRT/YVR/SEA, I would land in NRT, transfer over to HND, then go SFO/SEA. Arrival time in SEA is 1 hour later on the 2nd itinerary, but layover time is actually 2 hours less stateside.

I'd have 4 Hours and 10 minutes to make the transfer, so could be a little tight if delayed, but not bad. Downside is I have to go through customs, collect baggage, re-check baggage in HND.

Not having experienced the difference between the 2 seat experiences, would it be worth it to you? Is the APEX that much better in terms of privacy/sleep to be worth it?

Thanks.

(alternatively, I could wait to see if NRT/LAX opens up, but it's not currently with availability).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When are you flying?

For me, I would say no.

The transfer between airports is not complex even with luggage. Just take the bus, they'll take you door to door, and are quite reliable.
Alternatively, trains will most likely include a change, and will for sure include brining your luggage on commuter trains with linited luggage space.

But all in all, not worth the hassle for me.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, Marriott Platinum
If you've never had the Apex Suite then I think it's worth it. Sleep comfort and privacy are worlds apart. Try and get window side for the Suite- acres more room and privacy.
I've done the SFO to HND many times and the YVR to NRT route last March.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question for those of you who have travelled in the NEO. Do you think it's worth it to make the following change to get the Apex suite instead?

Instead of NRT/YVR/SEA, I would land in NRT, transfer over to HND, then go SFO/SEA. Arrival time in SEA is 1 hour later on the 2nd itinerary, but layover time is actually 2 hours less stateside.

I'd have 4 Hours and 10 minutes to make the transfer, so could be a little tight if delayed, but not bad. Downside is I have to go through customs, collect baggage, re-check baggage in HND.

Not having experienced the difference between the 2 seat experiences, would it be worth it to you? Is the APEX that much better in terms of privacy/sleep to be worth it?

Thanks.

(alternatively, I could wait to see if NRT/LAX opens up, but it's not currently with availability).
And by the way, the Seattle route, when it launches, will have the Apex Suite.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
Hi!

First time posting here. Super excited about my YVR-NRT-HKG trip. I'll be flying the JL 17 in mid-April. How likely do you think it will be with a sky suite?

If not, should I switch my reward redemption to an outbound from SEA-NRT-HKG?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.