Search

Daily HND-MNL red-eye from Feb 1 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:50 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Daily HND-MNL red-eye from Feb 1 2019

JAL Group - PRESS RELEASES - Japan Airlines Expands International Network in Southeast Asia

JL will use 73H for this red-eye service so no lie-flat seats. If there’s no change on the NRT-MNL equipment, looks like JL will be parking the 73H at MNL for almost 20 hours

Last edited by JALPak; Sep 6, 2018 at 4:56 am
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
JAL Group - PRESS RELEASES - Japan Airlines Expands International Network in Southeast Asia

JL will use 73H for this red-eye service so no lie-flat seats. If there’s no change on the NRT-MNL equipment, looks like JL will be parking the 73H at MNL for almost 20 hours
Could they use it for cheaper maintenance? Or is it done only in Japan?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Or, are they planning to do a another run somewhere in Japan in a short while KIX for instance? Could explain why the tag is not announced right now....
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Or, are they planning to do a another run somewhere in Japan in a short while KIX for instance? Could explain why the tag is not announced right now....
but for flights scheduled to start in 6 months? KIX should be fully recovered by then
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

but for flights scheduled to start in 6 months? KIX should be fully recovered by then
Yep Just not including it in the announcement now. For obvious, yet odd reasoning.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Honestly surprised JL didn't try to start this sooner. I'm sure they regret NH taking the overnight Indonesia slot, in addition to the daytime one they hold.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Honestly surprised JL didn't try to start this sooner. I'm sure they regret NH taking the overnight Indonesia slot, in addition to the daytime one they hold.
These short red eye flights are really screaming for profits. Just look at the aircraft choice, it tells you JL doesn’t expect high demand.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist

These short red eye flights are really screaming for profits. Just look at the aircraft choice, it tells you JL doesn’t expect high demand.

I think this could be more of a frame availability issue and at the same time testing the waters before upgrading it to SS6 starting S19.
With an SS6 for the HND flights, JL745 don't need to wait the next day as it can fly back to HND as JL078 just like how they utilize their frames between HND/NRT for SIN/BKK/SGN.

I think JL has a better chance of making this work vs PR whose red-eye flight timings are bad especially the HND arrival at around 00:30 where most public transportation to the airport has already stopped.
Also, this will be in direct competition to GK41/42 who have similar timings although JL would have the upper-hand with HND vs NRT.
I guess JL has done their studies and found out that PR423 from HND and GK41/42 always have had high LFs and they would like to crash the party even if it is already a bit late. :-)

There is also a good chance that most passengers going to the different islands in PH would find this viable as after arriving, you can hop on to the first flight out of MNL and enjoy the beaches, visit family, etc. and then come back late flight to connect back.
Works well with PH citizens (approx 260K) who are mostly married to Japanese whose hometown is in one of the 7,000+ islands.

So let's see how this pans out as I am excited to try this service although I hate red-eye flights.
kaka and Tokyoite like this.

Last edited by musashino22; Sep 10, 2018 at 7:13 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by musashino22
I think this could be more of a frame availability issue and at the same time testing the waters before upgrading it to SS6 starting S19.
With an SS6 for the HND flights, JL745 don't need to wait the next day as it can fly back to HND as JL078 just like how they utilize their frames between HND/NRT for SIN/BKK/SGN.

I think JL has a better chance of making this work vs PR whose red-eye flight timings are bad especially the HND arrival at around 00:30 where most public transportation to the airport has already stopped.
Also, this will be in direct competition to GK41/42 who have similar timings although JL would have the upper-hand with HND vs NRT.
I guess JL has done their studies and found out that PR423 from HND and GK41/42 always have had high LFs and they would like to crash the party even if it is already a bit late. :-)

There is also a good chance that most passengers going to the different islands in PH would find this viable as after arriving, you can hop on to the first flight out of MNL and enjoy the beaches, visit family, etc. and then come back late flight to connect back.
Works well with PH citizens (approx 260K) who are mostly married to Japanese whose hometown is in one of the 7,000+ islands.

So let's see how this pans out as I am excited to try this service although I hate red-eye flights.
this red-eye will be brutal as you won’t have much time for sleep given the short flight time.

I don’t think it’s a frame availability issue. JL will upgrade JL745/746 from SS6 to SS8 and will upgrade 2x NRT-PUS from 73H to SS6 from Feb. I assume that’s where this 73H comes from. They could have deployed SS6 to HND-MNL and keep using 73H on PUS.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist

this red-eye will be brutal as you won’t have much time for sleep given the short flight time.

I don’t think it’s a frame availability issue. JL will upgrade JL745/746 from SS6 to SS8 and will upgrade 2x NRT-PUS from 73H to SS6 from Feb. I assume that’s where this 73H comes from. They could have deployed SS6 to HND-MNL and keep using 73H on PUS.

Oops. You are right, I forgot that JL745/746 will be SS8 starting Feb 1st. Well then there might be not enough SS8 from Feb and with NRT-PUS going SS6, frame availability is not an issue. I can attest NRT-PUS on 73H is not enough as I have taken this flight a few times already this past year and it is always full both ways.
I guess JL is just looking first on the demand via bookings and see if this is in-line with their forecast and if everything is good JL022/021 or JL087/088 frame can flyout to MNL with SS8 for better aircraft utilization in tandem with JL745/746.
I guess this is too much wishful thinking but then there is also the case of flying to KIX from MNL and return back just in time to go back to HND. So we will see.

Last edited by musashino22; Sep 10, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL

If I were JAL I would announce it anyway (if it is the original plan) and start seeing the reservation, if things go south (i.e. better to park at Manila all-day and not to loose more money by flying it), just re-route everyone on PR or via HND / NRT. Though that's not how Japanese do things ....
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:20 am

So seems like the 73H frame is just temporary (2/1-3/30) as S19 loads are up and if we based on this, from 3/31 JL745/746 will change to 788 (E03) from SS8.
Subsequently, the new HND-MNL flights will also be on 788 (E03) so this resolves the frame rotation inefficiencies that most of us here have pointed out.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

This will be upgraded to 788 with NEO seats from Mar 31 2019
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Baggage limitaion for Haneda-Manila flight due to runway closure during midnight

Due to runway closure for construction during midnight at Manila airport (Expected unitl the end of March 2019), aircraft size for Haneda-Manila will be limited, as loading weight limitation is severe than usual. Depending on the weather condition, some checked-in baggage may not be loaded.
In such cases that checked-in baggage cannot be loaded, Japan Airlines will deliver it later.

We appreciate your understanding that the loading condition will vary depending on the weather condition and the loading cannot be assured beforehand.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
If they can deliver bags to the hotel, then its a nice offer!
Primary driver for this flight is aircraft utilization optimization.
(reduce loss due to the plane sitting at MNL for the whole night, and also similarly planes sitting around in HND/NRT at night. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.