Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL to snatch Garuda Indonesia code-share pact away from ANA

Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:44 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...-away-from-ANA

Japan Airlines and Garuda Indonesia, which is currently partnered with JAL rival All Nippon Airways, are poised to enter into a code-sharing arrangement that could lead to a joint venture, according to sources.

JAL and Garuda are working on the details and are set to finalize the agreement in September, before starting code-share flights between Japan and Indonesia in October.

So opening up US routes for code sharing is one of the reasons of the switch? Wonder why NH didn’t just do that to keep the code sharing deal?

Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
NH probably had their reasons. But I would guess they were not particularly interested in a continuation, or JAL offered better terms

​​​​​Garuda is struggling at the moment at cutting a lot on their network.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
NH is swinging it alone on routes between Tokyo and Jakarta, increasing capacity and cutting out GA from the lucrative business traveler market, relegating GA to the leisure traveler market. might be the cause of the friction.
Furthermore, there is a "GAP" in the OneWorld network in southern Asia, considering MH is still limping under financial restructures.
So, GA dumps NH and hitches up with JL. that is my back-of-the-napkin analysis of this.

Bigger question would be, why is GA promiscuous and not looking to tie up with fellow sky team member KA or the Chinese carriers?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
NH is swinging it alone on routes between Tokyo and Jakarta, increasing capacity and cutting out GA from the lucrative business traveler market, relegating GA to the leisure traveler market. might be the cause of the friction.
Furthermore, there is a "GAP" in the OneWorld network in southern Asia, considering MH is still limping under financial restructures.
So, GA dumps NH and hitches up with JL. that is my back-of-the-napkin analysis of this.

Bigger question would be, why is GA promiscuous and not looking to tie up with fellow sky team member KA or the Chinese carriers?
I assume you mean KE not KA? If you have a choice between members from the other alliance and the leftover alliance, you should pick the other alliance 99.9% of the time

if their goal is to grow the US market through code sharing, transiting via China isn’t really that convenient.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by JALPak

I assume you mean KE not KA? If you have a choice between members from the other alliance and the leftover alliance, you should pick the other alliance 99.9% of the time

if their goal is to grow the US market through code sharing, transiting via China isn’t really that convenient.
KE !
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
How many ST carriers does JL have partnerships with now?
  • Air France
  • Aeromexico
  • China Airlines
  • China Eastern Airlines
  • Garuda Indonesia
  • Korean Air
6? Feels like more at this point.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
How many ST carriers does JL have partnerships with now?
  • Air France
  • Aeromexico
  • China Airlines
  • China Eastern Airlines
  • Garuda Indonesia
  • Korean Air
6? Feels like more at this point.
Aeroflot too
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Aeroflot too
What is their cooperation with Aeroflot? Domestic Russia? JL421/422 does not come with a SU flight number, or at least they don't put it on departure boards, on the gates, or mention it during the flight.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
What is their cooperation with Aeroflot? Domestic Russia? JL421/422 does not come with a SU flight number, or at least they don't put it on departure boards, on the gates, or mention it during the flight.
JAL and Aeroflot Launch Comprehensive Partnership
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's just an MOU, did that ever pan out as an actual agreement? I don't see the code shares between Japan and Russia yet for the 4 trips I booked so far in fiscal 2018.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

That's just an MOU, did that ever pan out as an actual agreement? I don't see the code shares between Japan and Russia yet for the 4 trips I booked so far in fiscal 2018.
The first stage of the codeshare cooperation is planned to be implemented after fiscal year 2018.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first stage of the codeshare cooperation is planned to be implemented after fiscal year 2018.
Hehe I was reading from 2018.... That explains.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Hehe I was reading from 2018.... That explains.
few months from now, you will forget and read this as after calendar year 2018. Then you will complain again and say it’s already Jan 2019 but you still don’t see the SU code on the DME flights

joking aside, I wonder why the SU partnership is taking so much longer. In comparison, the GA codeshare is on fast track perhaps JL has been negotiating with GA behind the scene for a while already.

Last edited by JALPak; Sep 11, 2018 at 5:55 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

few months from, you will forget and read this as after calendar year 2018. Then you will complain again and say it’s already Jan 2019 but you still don’t see the SU code on the DME flights

joking aside, I wonder why the SU partnership is taking so much longer. In comparison, the GA codeshare is on fast track perhaps JL has been negotiating with GA behind the scene for a while already.
Russian and Japanese bureaucracy brought together?

Both countries does long and tedious approval process way beyond reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.