FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   New uniform coming in April 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1926780-new-uniform-coming-april-2020-a.html)

JALPak Aug 22, 2018 9:30 pm

New uniform coming in April 2020

http://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/201808/004848.html

JAL plans to roll out new uniforms in April 2020. The current 10th generation uniforms have been in used since June 2013. JAL will create opportunities for us to participate in the selection process. Also, JAL will accept design submission for the 2020 limited edition scarf design soon. These scarfs will be worn by JAL staff for a limited time during the 2020 Olympics year

JALPak Aug 22, 2018 9:48 pm

I hope these sketches on the Fly For It! website aren't for the new uniforms LOL

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b3443fe445.png

CPH-Flyer Aug 22, 2018 10:02 pm

Rei Kawakubo could be an interesting choice as designer (Comme de Garçon)

Though maybe not the most practical :D

JALPak Aug 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30118273)

I would rather them keep the current design and not devalue JMB. If they pay Rei Kawakubo to design the new uniforms, we will see even more devaluations and cutbacks heading our ways LOL

I actually like the current design hopefully they can keep some of the elements and just modernize it and satisfies the SDG design goal at the same time.

but I wonder how we are going to participate in the selection process though. Are they going to let us vote for design style and color combinations!?

CPH-Flyer Aug 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Some elements of the current uniform is OK, but I am not a huge fan. Design wise there are, in my view, also some odd elements.

Though the balance between practical to wear, durable, not going out of style too quickly is difficult one to strike. In the sum of things the current one is not doing too badly.

Unless they do a big bang replacement, the extra cost of doing so is not huge, as there is anyway will a constant stream of new items being procured.

JALPak Aug 23, 2018 12:38 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30118400)
Some elements of the current uniform is OK, but I am not a huge fan. Design wise there are, in my view, also some odd elements.

Though the balance between practical to wear, durable, not going out of style too quickly is difficult one to strike. In the sum of things the current one is not doing too badly.

Unless they do a big bang replacement, the extra cost of doing so is not huge, as there is anyway will a constant stream of new items being procured.

it is the odd elements that make them Japanese and adorable lol

i think they are doing a Big Bang replacement this time. The new uniform will be rolled out together with the limited edition scarfs before the olympics.

CPH-Flyer Aug 23, 2018 12:59 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 30118554)

it is the odd elements that make them Japanese and adorable lol

i think they are doing a Big Bang replacement this time. The new uniform will be rolled out together with the limited edition scarfs before the olympics.

Yeah, it is the odd touches that are weirdly Japanese.

I do hope they don't go for dull with extra dull streaks like one competing airline ...

JALPak Aug 23, 2018 2:40 am

Looks like on top of renewing uniforms for ALL of the departments, JL plans to spend 10B JPY on airport facilities too. Before you get too excited, it's not for lounges lol 7B will be used on info system for passengers while the remaining 3B will be invested in improving check-in to boarding flow at HND and NRT. Where did they get all these money :eek:

https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/153902

CPH-Flyer Aug 23, 2018 6:33 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 30118819)
Looks like on top of renewing uniforms for ALL of the departments, JL plans to spend 10B JPY on airport facilities too. Before you get too excited, it's not for lounges lol 7B will be used on info system for passengers while the remaining 3B will be invested in improving check-in to boarding flow at HND and NRT. Where did they get all these money :eek:

https://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/153902

What info system is needed???

Check in to boarding flow hopefully means better priority security in Haneda. But other than that I can't really think of a flaw. But it is limited what they can get for 3 billion yen (30 million USD) in terms of security check hardware. Maybe they'll get more tensa barriers?

AlwaysAisle Aug 23, 2018 6:46 am

This is not just about JAL uniform, but ANA was criticized same also. All previous uniform designs were heavily focused on female uniform side. Since 1986 law passed in Japan there supposed to be equal employment opportunity among genders, but how many male FAs JAL has today? Same can be said about ANA, so this situation is not just about uniform design… Another thing criticized was that the design focuses on younger generation, middle age and up employees have commented that wish uniform design give consideration to them.

CPH-Flyer Aug 23, 2018 7:07 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle (Post 30119455)
This is not just about JAL uniform, but ANA was criticized same also. All previous uniform designs were heavily focused on female uniform side. Since 1986 law passed in Japan there supposed to be equal employment opportunity among genders, but how many male FAs JAL has today? Same can be said about ANA, so this situation is not just about uniform design… Another thing criticized was that the design focuses on younger generation, middle age and up employees have commented that wish uniform design give consideration to them.

I would actually say that the current uniform is more middle age an up in design concept. It is somewhat aunty style....

There are very few male flight attendants with both JAL and ANA. I doubt though that is due to the lack of focus on the male uniform pieces....

JALPak Aug 23, 2018 7:41 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30119400)
What info system is needed???

Check in to boarding flow hopefully means better priority security in Haneda. But other than that I can't really think of a flaw. But it is limited what they can get for 3 billion yen (30 million USD) in terms of security check hardware. Maybe they'll get more tensa barriers?

perhaps something like this?

http://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/201807/004809.html

The new uniform designs may need to take into account of all these new gadgets as well. E.g. bigger pockets for iPad instead of old school walkie talkie

JALPak Aug 23, 2018 7:46 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30119536)
I would actually say that the current uniform is more middle age an up in design concept. It is somewhat aunty style....

There are very few male flight attendants with both JAL and ANA. I doubt though that is due to the lack of focus on the male uniform pieces....

Not to mention this is for ALL uniforms, not just CA’s. But I agree, I don’t see how uniform design focus has anything to do with that. Most people don’t pick their career based on the uniform :rolleyes:

kaka Aug 23, 2018 8:45 pm

its part of the marketing fluff that they need to put..
anyways, i think the airport info system is to make it more suited for the new generations of things and the backend system.

MattEvan Aug 24, 2018 6:26 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 30118273)

I believe Ms. Rei is loyal to ANA. I have traveled with her in J/F cabins of ANA before :-)

NB: She was ALWAYS the best dressed person on the aircraft.