Typhoon Shanshan affecting HND/NRT Aug 8-9

Old Aug 7, 18, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Typhoon Shanshan affecting HND/NRT Aug 8-9

My family is flying YVR/JFK-NRT-SIN with a connection on Aug 8, and that looks exactly like when Typhoon Shanshan will start to affect Tokyo.

Since we are originating from two different airports, I'm concerned about what might happen with a diversion. Both YVR-NRT and JFK-NRT seem scheduled to go out as normal despite the typhoon. How well does JL take care of people during IRROPs, if those arise? Anything particular that I should keep in mind?
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:03 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
You should worry about your YVR-NRT flight. Keep an eye on JL18 on Aug 8. Right now JL has suspended the check-in for this flight which means your flight will either be canceled or have lengthy delay since the same aircraft is used for JL17. Not so worried about JL005 since the plane is already on its way (unless JL routes that plane to HND instead)
Old Aug 8, 18, 4:49 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Typhoon 13 (I really wish the world would take on this simple Japanese way of naming typhoons) is right now south of Tokyo, but the wind and rain is already hitting the Tokyo and Narita area. It looks like Narita will get the full strength of the typhoon in the AM of the 9th. So I would expect quite big disruptions to traffic departing and arriving during the 9th.

JAL should be quite used to dealing with this, but it has been reported that a lot of the information comes in Japanese only.

My two points of advice is 'don't panic' and Google your alternative connection options if there are cancellations. It is always easier to discuss if you know some options in advance.
​​​​​
Old Aug 8, 18, 4:52 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Looks like JL18 departed on time. OP should be able to get to NRT on time, so just focus on getting to SIN from NRT in case flights are canceled
Old Aug 8, 18, 8:00 am
Original Poster

So we were on JL17 Aug 7, and JL711 Aug 8, in J.

JL preemptively put us on CX837 / CX715 connecting in HKG instead - we found out at check in. My family who were on JL3 / JL711 narrowly made it - both of those flights somehow magically departed on time.

The kicker is CX715 and JL711 are getting to SIN within 10 minutes of each other. So all's well that ends well, I guess (although I missed the chance to surprise someone with a J seat on JL711).

JL provided amazing service here, but I can't imagine how much it cost them to rebook 30 (!) extra J passengers on CX at the last minute.

Anyone have experience asking JL for original routing credit when crediting to a partner airline?
Old Aug 8, 18, 4:03 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mizzao View Post

Anyone have experience asking JL for original routing credit when crediting to a partner airline?
That is really a question for the program you are crediting to. But will most programs you can accrue JAL to not also accrue on Cathay flights?

Generally most programs allow for lost home carrier flight ORC. But nor lost partner flights usually don't get anything.

JMB ORC for cancelled JAL flights is automatic, JMB does not give ORC for cancelled AA flights.
Old Aug 9, 18, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
That is really a question for the program you are crediting to. But will most programs you can accrue JAL to not also accrue on Cathay flights?

Generally most programs allow for lost home carrier flight ORC. But nor lost partner flights usually don't get anything.

JMB ORC for cancelled JAL flights is automatic, JMB does not give ORC for cancelled AA flights.
Are you saying I should consider creating a JMB account and seeing if I can obtain ORC for this flight?
Old Aug 10, 18, 8:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
JL provided amazing service here, but I can't imagine how much it cost them to rebook 30 (!) extra J passengers on CX at the last minute.
Many airlines have agreement with each other to put their passengers' on each other's flights during disruption and it probably doesn't cost them anywhere near as much as you might think, due to their reciprocal agreement.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Rather than that, in most cases it is the decision of the original operating carrier rather than the programme.

Are you saying I should consider creating a JMB account and seeing if I can obtain ORC for this flight?
You don't want to scatter miles if you don't need to. I suggest asking your programme first and only look at alternatives if your request isn't granted.
Old Aug 10, 18, 9:09 am

2019 Secret Santa

Did you not get miles for your Cathay flights? Still OW like JAL....
Old Aug 11, 18, 2:08 am

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

Rather than that, in most cases it is the decision of the original operating carrier rather than the programme.

I could not get AA to send ORC through to JAL, whereas ORC within AA's own program is not a problem. (AA flight cancelled, accrued to JMB was my case), so I am not sure it is just the operating carrier that has an effect, where you want it to be credited to does as well.

Search this Thread