Premium Economy Report

Old Aug 7, 18, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Premium Economy Report

My wife and I made a fairly last second decision to head to BKK and SIN for three weeks. We were going to us AA miles for JAL business but, alas, none seemed available. Since we didnít want to spend 17+ hourís in economy, we chose to pay for premium economy. (Note to AA.....please start allowing redemptions in PE). This will be a report on the SFO-HND leg, since Iím sitting in the lounge at HND waiting to board at midnight for BKK.

Buying the ticket. We booked on aa.com, as a check of Google flights revealed that the PE fare booked through AA was about $600US less than the same fare on JAL.

Checking in at SFO. This was a breeze. There was a dedicated PE line.

TSA. Took about 20 minutes for security. Itís a shame JAL isnít part of pre-Check yet.

Sakura Lounge. Disappointing to say the least. Poor selection of food. But to be truthful, the lounges at SFO, on the whole, are pretty bad. We also tried the Air France/KLM Lounge. Moderately better food, but terrible seating.

Seats. We were in 20A and 20C. The PE cabin had perhaps eight empty seats. In terms of leg room, the seats were very good. Iím 6í2Ē tall and I could stretch out completely. The width was a little cramped. I fit all right into it (Iím slim), but a little more room would be nice. The pillow was pretty thin. I did not use the blanket. For th3 ten hour flight, I got about 5 hourís of sleep. When weíve gone in Business, I usually get 7 hourís, so itís not too much of a difference.

Food/beverage. Catering is the same as economy, with a couple of extra beverage options. Dinner was a choice of chicken or salmon. I had the salmon and it wasnít bad. Much better than typical airline swill. HaagenDazs ice cream is always welcomed and, unlike some other airlines, this was served with a soft consistency, not a frozen block. The meal before landing was baked pasta and was inedible. Oh well. I wasnít hungry anyway.

Entertainment. Not great, but that might just be a function of Hollywood churning out dreck these days. I had already seen Darkest Hour (great performance by Gary Oldman, by the way). I canít stand The Last Jedi nor do I like the Marvel superhero movies, so I listened to some music and mainly dozed.

flight Attendants. Very attentive. Naturally, not as attentive as business class, but still very good.

Overall. The flight was great. Iím glad we spent a few extra dollars to get PE. It may not be as nice as business class, but itís a good step up from regular economy.
Yahtzee, Duke787 and allset2travel like this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 4:16 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Good review.

I am surprised that you say the width is cramped. What do you compare to? I really find that one of the beter aspects of the seat.
Old Aug 10, 18, 4:20 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Good review.

I am surprised that you say the width is cramped. What do you compare to? I really find that one of the beter aspects of the seat.
his waist
Gig103 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
I was comparing it to the width of a regular economy seat on JAL, which I believe is also 19”. Also, I think th3 width on Cathay’s 359 From HKG to SFO is a little over 20”. Don’t ge5 me wrong, I think it’s a very good seat. I also think JAL’s economy seat on the TransPac 777 is great to, with 34” of pitch. I just was hoping for something a little wider. It won’t stop me from flying JAL’s premium economy in the future, as the combination of the pitch and the timing of the flights is very attractive.
Old Aug 10, 18, 8:35 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
I doubt that the seats are equally wide.

I think the measurement for Y are including armrests, PY is actually just the seat cushion. Seatguru sets them as the same, however they are wildly in accurate about seat width as they don't use a single source or waybof measurement.
Old Aug 13, 18, 6:04 am
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve View Post
I was comparing it to the width of a regular economy seat on JAL, which I believe is also 19Ē. Also, I think th3 width on Cathayís 359 From HKG to SFO is a little over 20Ē. Donít ge5 me wrong, I think itís a very good seat. I also think JALís economy seat on the TransPac 777 is great to, with 34Ē of pitch. I just was hoping for something a little wider. It wonít stop me from flying JALís premium economy in the future, as the combination of the pitch and the timing of the flights is very attractive.
CXís A359 PE seats are at 18.5Ē, 777 at 19.3Ē. Itís nearly 19Ē on JAL, so youíre better off with JL
Old Aug 16, 18, 12:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve View Post
Buying the ticket. We booked on aa.com, as a check of Google flights revealed that the PE fare booked through AA was about $600US less than the same fare on JAL.
Thanks for the review. Surprised to note such a huge savings when booked via AA.
Old Aug 16, 18, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I doubt that the seats are equally wide.

I think the measurement for Y are including armrests, PY is actually just the seat cushion. Seatguru sets them as the same, however they are wildly in accurate about seat width as they don't use a single source or waybof measurement.
JAL website specifically says PE is "approximately" 48cm between the armrests and Y is 47cm between the armrests, so 18.9 inches vs 18.5 inches (at best).
Old Aug 16, 18, 5:17 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by anothertraveller12 View Post
JAL website specifically says PE is "approximately" 48cm between the armrests and Y is 47cm between the armrests, so 18.9 inches vs 18.5 inches (at best).
But it's important to note that if you include the armrests in the measurement, PE seats are MUCH wider than Y. So more room for your arms and much more shoulder room.
clubeurope likes this.

Search this Thread