Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL to adopt dynamic award pricing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, Marriott Platinum
First post, so please be gentle
I redeemed for my family using the new awards process.

As I have 3 young kids I like to be able to secure my booking and not be on wait list and have to constantly check availability and status closer to departure date, (plus the stress of hotel booking etc...)
Flying late Jul/early Aug to LHR from HND. Outbound class Y was 46k miles, inbound was PY for 35k miles (Y inbound for same flight was 72.5k miles! must be due to seat availability).
Considering before the change in awards program a round trip ticket was 55k miles in Y, and I used 81K miles, with the inbound in PY it doesn't seem so bad.

There were some dates in Y for 22.5k miles for the inbound leg, with an outbound in class Y for 26k miles. Which is better than before, correct me if I'm wrong.
All in all, my point is that for my personal situation this works out. And if I wanted to redeem in F, then you can still waitlist.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
That does sound like a reasonable pricing for a dynamic award.

Thank you for giving us a data point on the new prices
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That does sound like a reasonable pricing for a dynamic award.

Thank you for giving us a data point on the new prices
Np. Thanks for all the contributors, I joined a while a go but visited on and off and never posted. It's a great English speaking community here for JAL.
The updated award calendar isn't available yet, but you can still search (painfully) using "Book JAL International Award Ticket".
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
This Japanese blog made some research and investigation.
https://www.sukesuke-mile-kojiki.net.../jal-mile-plus

According to this blog,
There are two J seats at the lowest/basic requied miles (40,000miles for HNL).
Subsequent J seats require higher miels (e.g 43000miles).
If you try to book 3 seats altogether, you need 43000miles x 3.
So, you had better book one by one (40000,40000,43000 not 43000x3).

If there is a very few seats remaining, required miles are almost equal to (revenue price/1.5x eJAL points conversion rate).

Another blog investigated required miles distibution (table in middle of web page)
https://awardtrip.com/jal-internatio...-plus-reality/
Intensive research for TYO-HNL routes.
Table shows
Month/total days/ required only basic miles/ PLUS(non basic) / Full / days that reuire 2x or more miles
12 (December) / 26days / 19days(73%) / 7days(27%) / 0days / 4days(15%)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
This Japanese blog made some research and investigation.
https://www.sukesuke-mile-kojiki.net.../jal-mile-plus

According to this blog,
There are two J seats at the lowest/basic requied miles (40,000miles for HNL).
Subsequent J seats require higher miels (e.g 43000miles).
If you try to book 3 seats altogether, you need 43000miles x 3.
So, you had better book one by one (40000,40000,43000 not 43000x3).

If there is a very few seats remaining, required miles are almost equal to (revenue price/1.5x eJAL points conversion rate).

Another blog investigated required miles distibution (table in middle of web page)
https://awardtrip.com/jal-internatio...-plus-reality/
Intensive research for TYO-HNL routes.
Table shows
Month/total days/ required only basic miles/ PLUS(non basic) / Full / days that reuire 2x or more miles
12 (December) / 26days / 19days(73%) / 7days(27%) / 0days / 4days(15%)
Very interesting links.

One thing I find annoying is that they don't make a visible distinction on the booking page which one is Plus Award and whcih one is stardard. When you get multiple point prices up, it might be obvious But like UA anf AA It would be nice to show it separately and clearly which price is which..
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC premier
Thanks for this. I guess the conclusion is that there’s no change that the best strategy is to book right at the 330 days window, or last minute, because the mileage required will be higher otherwise - at least for J which is what I (and I guess majority of FTers) care about. As long as Jl continues to provide the original limited seats availability at the base mile even during peak season, I’m OK- but this remains to be seen for now. We’ll see next month when the year end 2019 booking window opens.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC premier
Very interesting links.

One thing I find annoying is that they don't make a visible distinction on the booking page which one is Plus Award and whcih one is stardard. When you get multiple point prices up, it might be obvious But like UA anf AA It would be nice to show it separately and clearly which price is which..
And since this thing effectively devalues the waitlisting benefit elites had till recently, I wish we can get some sort of benefits to make up for it, like earlier booking period to get the base rate, the way it is for domestic lines.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:06 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bakaneko85

And since this thing effectively devalues the waitlisting benefit elites had till recently, I wish we can get some sort of benefits to make up for it, like earlier booking period to get the base rate, the way it is for domestic lines.
or a 1% off dynamic rate discount LOL
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:29 pm

JAL does not care about its elite customers.
They could at least being upgrade points back.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by jgchiker
JAL does not care about its elite customers.
I agree with this. My recent impressions are that JL just doesn't care about courting its elite members other than maybe Diamond members and very high revenue VIPs.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Has this affected JAL redemptions through partners? Looking on BA.com I no longer see any availability before T-3
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heartface
Has this affected JAL redemptions through partners? Looking on BA.com I no longer see any availability before T-3
I could imagine that it reduces the number of last minute releases, however there is no real experiences being reported yet.

If you are looking for F, that should be unaffected.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:12 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I could imagine that it reduces the number of last minute releases, however there is no real experiences being reported yet.

If you are looking for F, that should be unaffected.
anything that reduces partner availability is good news
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:39 pm
THR

I managed to get a Partner award booking NRT-SYD late next year after the changes.

As with everything though - you need to be in quickly. As JAL release awards at 10am on the day and in limited numbers (2, generally).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by JALPak
anything that reduces partner availability is good news
Not really, as you can't book most routes (A-Z) with JAL anymore that you earlier could, since JAL now operates as a ULCC - when it comes to flight bookings, I mean - and only allows you to fly to or from Japan, but no longer globally and no longer non-domestic connections allowed. For all such travel have to book it via another OneWorld airline to avoid two separate tickets with JL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.