Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL to adopt dynamic award pricing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by bakaneko85

As much as I’m unhappy with the devaluation, bad customer service experience is one thing that I would not associate with JAL. ever.
My bad experiences were with the call centers here in Japan. They left me with such a bad impression that I stopped feeling any loyalty toward JAL. And the mileage devaluation is just the final nail in the coffin. I used to sing JAL's praises to all my friends and coworkers. And I used to book JAL without even looking at other airlines' schedules and fares. No more. They're just another airline. And I'm a free agent now.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If I break it down, from an inflight service perspective JAL is still outstanding, from a mileage perspective they have become rather mediocre.

The inflight experience is far more important to me than the mileage. The mileage is just a random effect. However when I do 12 flights in a month, inflight experience becomes rather the center of attention.

So yeah, I'll actually happily stay a JAL frequent flyer
​​​​​​
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If I break it down, from an inflight service perspective JAL is still outstanding, from a mileage perspective they have become rather mediocre.

The inflight experience is far more important to me than the mileage. The mileage is just a random effect. However when I do 12 flights in a month, inflight experience becomes rather the center of attention.

So yeah, I'll actually happily stay a JAL frequent flyer
​​​​​​
I still fly JAL when the value proposition is right. But I now fly other carriers when they're more convenient or cheaper. I recently booked SQ for a trip to SIN. And I'm taking my family on UA next month. Next year we'll probably go to Hawaii, and I'm looking at HA or NH's A380 because their J seating is better for families.

Like I said, a free agent now.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC premier
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
My bad experiences were with the call centers here in Japan. They left me with such a bad impression that I stopped feeling any loyalty toward JAL. And the mileage devaluation is just the final nail in the coffin. I used to sing JAL's praises to all my friends and coworkers. And I used to book JAL without even looking at other airlines' schedules and fares. No more. They're just another airline. And I'm a free agent now.
Really? What happened? I have to admit that I’m rather spoiled, being able to call the diamond-premier line, so my experience with JL call center is great so far.. especially compared to the times I’ve had to call IB or AS as a normal member. One guy on IB basically hung up on me when I confronted him for not even bothering to look up on my passenger details and status of my refund. And when I called back to say I wanted to talk to the manager, the second person said that I wasn’t allowed to and hung up on me for a second time in a row! Guess even JL makes mistake once in a blue moon.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Really? What happened? I have to admit that I’m rather spoiled, being able to call the diamond-premier line, so my experience with JL call center is great so far.. especially compared to the times I’ve had to call IB or AS as a normal member. One guy on IB basically hung up on me when I confronted him for not even bothering to look up on my passenger details and status of my refund. And when I called back to say I wanted to talk to the manager, the second person said that I wasn’t allowed to and hung up on me for a second time in a row! Guess even JL makes mistake once in a blue moon.
JL call center in US is really bad. Usually massive hold, like min. 1 hour, often 2, 3, even 4 hour hold to get through - worst of any airline, by far. Simple things like award ticket refund res agents can't do, so just put you on hold to someone else, so some 4-5 hours later into the call, then you are told that there is only one person company wide who can do refunds, they are gone for the day, so you have to call back again next day and hope to catch them when they're in (in the end, took about 6 weeks what should have been able to do easily online in less than 60 seconds). To book tickets when US call center closed, Japan one is only marginally better. Holds not as bad as US, but even simple ticket booking they can't do (so what is it there for, then?), so you have to wait for a callback until they get someone who can do that - though at least there they offer that option (unlike in US) and actually do call back.

For reservations service, JAL is an outlier and really at the bottom service-wise, quite unlike for in-flight service.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:45 pm

Really? What happened?
Last year I booked a promotional business class award for 80,000 miles (instead of the usual 100,000 miles). A few weeks later I saw that JAL had deducted 100,000 miles from my account. I called the JGC line to explain that my itinerary met all the conditions for the promotional award and to ask for 20,000 miles back. The agent refused, saying that it must have been my fault(!) and that I must have clicked the wrong place on the website when I booked. So then I emailed them to complain, went back-and-forth for a few weeks, and finally got my miles back.

The second incident happened when I needed to book a particular reservation that was not possible to make online due to JAL's system limitations. The agent told me that I would have to pay the fee for booking over the telephone. I asked them to waive the fee, since I had no choice but to book over the phone because their website wouldn't let me make the reservation online. They refused. I said that I actually prefer to book online and that it was their fault that I had to call them and why should I pay an extra fee to inconvenience myself? They said I was right but still refused to waive the fee.

The other problem with their call centers is the long wait times, even at the JGC/Sapphire line. They've been understaffed for years and clearly don't intend to do anything about it.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Last year I booked a promotional business class award for 80,000 miles (instead of the usual 100,000 miles). A few weeks later I saw that JAL had deducted 100,000 miles from my account. I called the JGC line to explain that my itinerary met all the conditions for the promotional award and to ask for 20,000 miles back. The agent refused, saying that it must have been my fault(!) and that I must have clicked the wrong place on the website when I booked. So then I emailed them to complain, went back-and-forth for a few weeks, and finally got my miles back.

The second incident happened when I needed to book a particular reservation that was not possible to make online due to JAL's system limitations. The agent told me that I would have to pay the fee for booking over the telephone. I asked them to waive the fee, since I had no choice but to book over the phone because their website wouldn't let me make the reservation online. They refused. I said that I actually prefer to book online and that it was their fault that I had to call them and why should I pay an extra fee to inconvenience myself? They said I was right but still refused to waive the fee.

The other problem with their call centers is the long wait times, even at the JGC/Sapphire line. They've been understaffed for years and clearly don't intend to do anything about it.

Was it the Japanese line or English line? It would be jaw dropping if the conversation was in Japanese and a call centre agent blame you for the mileage mistake.

I was once upset by the rude attitude of an English speaking staff at JAL's Europe call centre.(To be fair, it was this one staff only) So I filed an complaint in Japanese to JAL's HQ. I got an very apologetic 1200 words letter from JAL's customer support centre, detailing what they did to improve the situation.

You might wonder if I do speak Japanese why would I use the English line? I believe the Japanese line at Europe call centre are staffed by part-timer. Unless your booking is straightforward, it could take 3 times more time (albeit very polite) on the phone and get a response saying it can not be done. Where an English speaking staffs seem to be more knowledgeable.

But both refuse to wave manual booking fee, even when flights are not available over internet.

I did call BA's office in Tokyo to use Avios for AS redemption. It was a present surprise that manual booking fee was waived without asking. (According to some website you can ask US call centre to waive it, and it might be granted) Not to mentioned the person on the other end of the phone line was extremely helpful, knowledgeable and polite.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
JAL does not waive phone booking fees, it is a frustration discussed from time to time that the coupons for JGC Premier and Diamond, incur a manual booking fee as it is impossible to use them online.

It is frustrating, but policy seems to be policy. The call center staff will not have leeway in this matter.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
JAL does not waive phone booking fees, it is a frustration discussed from time to time that the coupons for JGC Premier and Diamond, incur a manual booking fee as it is impossible to use them online.

It is frustrating, but policy seems to be policy. The call center staff will not have leeway in this matter.
Arhhh....rules are rules, so I would not take it out on staff. (When these kind of thing happens. I would ask them to stop apologising and tell them it is their company who is to blame) But I do believe, the fee should be waived if a booking can not be done online.

That said BA's UK call centre would also not waive the AS booking fee, it seems like an overseas special.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by nshizuka25
Was it the Japanese line or English line?
The Japanese line. Yes, the agent explained in polite keigo that I probably selected the wrong option on the website. And she politely declined to refund the 20K miles.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by nshizuka25
You might wonder if I do speak Japanese why would I use the English line? I believe the Japanese line at Europe call centre are staffed by part-timer. Unless your booking is straightforward, it could take 3 times more time (albeit very polite) on the phone and get a response saying it can not be done. Where an English speaking staffs seem to be more knowledgeable.
I'm a native English speaker. When I call the US airlines in Japan, I always select the Japanese language option, because the Japanese speaking agents here are usually better than the English speaking ones!

Anyway, getting back on topic, the inability to waitlist or change award reservations makes international awards almost useless to me. So just another reason not to stay loyal to JAL. I'll still earn JAL miles with the credit card and the (reduced) flights I'll take with them. But those miles will probably all go to domestic awards and JAL coupons to be used for hotel stays.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:23 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

and the T&Cs specifically call this out too. They will still charge the ticketing fee even if it’s not possible to ticket online
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC premier
Wow.... the peak pricing is real crazy. A HND LHR J class flight departing April 27th and returning May 6 (+1) would cost 544000 miles + 62,670 yen! What kind of sane person would make that kind of redemption? I guess now JL miles is pretty much useless for JL flights except during low season. Shame as I pretty much redeems my JL miles only for GW/ Xmas season.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I thought JAL awards were previously just impossible to get around GW/Xmas/New Year's.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by joejones
I thought JAL awards were previously just impossible to get around GW/Xmas/New Year's.
At 330 days out you would have a few minute window to book them before they were gone at the time inventory got released.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow.... the peak pricing is real crazy. A HND LHR J class flight departing April 27th and returning May 6 (+1) would cost 544000 miles + 62,670 yen! What kind of sane person would make that kind of redemption? I guess now JL miles is pretty much useless for JL flights except during low season. Shame as I pretty much redeems my JL miles only for GW/ Xmas season.
The flow for getting those awards as standard awards at the normal redemption rates is not changing, be very quick 330 days out. This should not reduce the standard availability. But I guess we need Golden Week 2020 to open for bookings to truly know if that is the case.
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.