Wiki Posts
Search

JAL to adopt dynamic award pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
They can do Upgrade Award PLUS (similar to the new international award PLUS) and cash upgrade bidding But then cash upgrade bidding will cheapen the premium cabin so I am not sure if JL would want to do that. And it's not like they have problem filling their premium cabins (at least on LAX-NRT )

But my wish list is: default JGC without JALCARD to ruby. This way, JAL can match what NH offers domestically (i.e. Sapphire status) but for the rest of the market those freeloaders will only get Ruby and need to fly on JL to get lounge access.
then they should fix the few jal cards that isnt a jalcard.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If they need to reduce the cost of operating JMB this would seem like a more obvious one. Then again, who pays for the lounge for lounge access in Oneworld? And are there in reality that many outside of Japan?​​​​​​
The operator of the flight pays the operator of the lounge.

If they take a CX flight and uses a JL lounge, CX pays JL.
If they take a JL flight and uses a JL lounge, JL pays JL.
If they take a JL flight and uses a CX lounge, JL pays CX.

They could always limit those who have just the basic JGC to have access only in JAL operated lounges. In this case JAL will always have the upper hand, except that the lounge will stay as a zoo at times.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:37 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
If they need to reduce the cost of operating JMB this would seem like a more obvious one. Then again, who pays for the lounge for lounge access in Oneworld? And are there in reality that many outside of Japan?

​​​​​​
At least in Japan, it is generating a recurrent revenue for JL via JALCARD annual fee even the JGC is a freeloader. But JL got almost nothing from those overseas, other than the 5000 miles? Perhaps another option is to raise the renewal fee from 5000 miles to 15000-20000 miles to match the JALCARD annual fee level or those 5000 miles for renewal have to come from JL flights. I would rather see this type of devaluation that affects those freeloaders rather than the one like the Award PLUS which basically screws every loyal member in the program

And it doesn’t matter who is paying for the lounge. Eventually whoever paying for it will notice if the freeloader base keep growing and will complain that JL is having too many Sapphire members.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:50 am

I wonder if this has to do with the Amadeus switch. Before it’s a in house system and waitlisting cost is almost zero. Now JL may need to pay Amadeus for each award waitlist reservation even if the waitlist doesn’t clear? And the new system probably makes it easier for JL to do dynamic pricing too?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
The operator of the flight pays the operator of the lounge.

If they take a CX flight and uses a JL lounge, CX pays JL.
If they take a JL flight and uses a JL lounge, JL pays JL.
If they take a JL flight and uses a CX lounge, JL pays CX.

They could always limit those who have just the basic JGC to have access only in JAL operated lounges. In this case JAL will always have the upper hand, except that the lounge will stay as a zoo at times.
But that means that the JGC members who rarely fly JAL afterwards don't really cost JAL much in terms of lounge benefits. E.g. a US based member mainly flying AA will cost AA a bundle based on JAL's generous system.....
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

At least in Japan, it is generating a recurrent revenue for JL via JALCARD annual fee even the JGC is a freeloader. But JL got almost nothing from those overseas, other than the 5000 miles? Perhaps another option is to raise the renewal fee from 5000 miles to 15000-20000 miles to match the JALCARD annual fee level or those 5000 miles for renewal have to come from JL flights. I would rather see this type of devaluation that affects those freeloaders rather than the one like the Award PLUS which basically screws every loyal member in the program

And it doesn’t matter who is paying for the lounge. Eventually whoever paying for it will notice if the freeloader base keep growing and will complain that JL is having too many Sapphire members.
That also brings back the question, which of course we will not have the answer to, but is it really that many outside Japan?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
But that means that the JGC members who rarely fly JAL afterwards don't really cost JAL much in terms of lounge benefits. E.g. a US based member mainly flying AA will cost AA a bundle based on JAL's generous system.....
Yes, it doesn't cost JAL much to have them, plus it does take some work to get there first so to be honest I don't see JGC going away.

The idea behind this is that the member only takes the carrier's flight due to the status, so the lounge benefit should be paid by the flight operator rather than the member's status giver (I don't understand the logic behind this though). Though in any case, the extra person inside the lounge doesn't really cost the lounge operator that much. Lounge hopping may be a problem to be addressed first.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:26 am

So this is what we get for being loyal to JAL?

Massive depreciation in miles...so that they can get their 5 stars
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Reminder of the impending devaluation of the award chart next week (20th November 9AM Japan time)
https://www.ar.jal.co.jp/ar/en/jalmi...b_mile_ar.html
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just booked at HND-DOH-MLE return in J. With an increase from 100K to 130K pending, I would say that was good timing Though timing wise it was more coincidence than speculation in the devaluation
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
me too. the 85k miles band (12-14k flown distance) was a sweet spot that I am sad to see get raised so highly. (85k -> 110K)
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: ANA Super Flyers, JAL Global Club
I have 100k miles that I feel should be used before the devaluation next week.

Any suggestions on exciting routes from Tokyo/Osaka?
Destination is not too important. Most important part is that the flight itself would be a good experience. (good value for miles)
Dates are completely flexible.
J or F doesn't matter. (I have never flown in F)

Right now I'm leaning towards QR and hope they have the Qsuites on the HND-DOH route next year.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Reminder of the impending devaluation of the award chart next week (20th November 9AM Japan time)
https://www.ar.jal.co.jp/ar/en/jalmi...b_mile_ar.html
you are posting in the wrong thread. This is about Award Ticket PLUS not partner award
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:29 pm

JAL has announced the max award ticket PLUS miles required per route a while back: Required mileage chart for JAL International Award Ticket PLUS - JAL Mileage Bank

they want up to 78,000 miles ONE WAY on HND-PEK in Y and up to 394K miles on HND-JFK in C!? Thanks but no thanks
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JAL has announced the max award ticket PLUS miles required per route a while back: Required mileage chart for JAL International Award Ticket PLUS - JAL Mileage Bank

they want up to 78,000 miles ONE WAY on HND-PEK in Y and up to 394K miles on HND-JFK in C!? Thanks but no thanks
Did not read the details, do you then at least earn miles if you pay that much? Or still just considered an award ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.