JAL to adopt dynamic award pricing

Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: JGC premier
JAL to adopt dynamic award pricing

https://www.jal.co.jp/jmb/award_rene...utm_content=RL

After all the devaluations its done over the years, I think this could be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. Up to 246,000 miles for a one way J award ticket to Asia2 region, over 6 times current cost of 40k miles, when I can buy a peak period return ex-SEL tickets outright for the same amount in JPY? what the hell are they thinking?

Im sorry but this is too much. From now on I think Im going to stick to the best value provider regardless of alliance and frequent flyer status. No point giving my loyalty to JL anymore.

Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Stick with air china it might be a good idea.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:29 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Here’s the English version: Introducing JAL International Award Ticket PLUS - JAL Mileage Bank

The base miles for some destinations are actually decreasing but the worst parts of this changes are:
1. No more waiting list for Y, P, C redemption, you can only waitlist for F award. So we will have to fight with those graabers and graspers!?
2. No more via Japan redemption, i.e. HKG-NRT-LAX will require two redemptions and results in huge increase of required miles
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Probably credit to AS and only put miles in JAL for running JGC?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Probably credit to AS and only put miles in JAL for running JGC?
What makes you think JGC won't be next?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by JALPak
What makes you think JGC won't be next?
Well, we can only worry about it when it happens
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:47 pm

It's not about loyalty anymore.
This has been monetized too much.
Just go for the better value airline.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Heres the English version: Introducing JAL International Award Ticket PLUS - JAL Mileage Bank

The base miles for some destinations are actually decreasing but the worst parts of this changes are:
1. No more waiting list for Y, P, C redemption, you can only waitlist for F award. So we will have to fight with those graabers and graspers!?
2. No more via Japan redemption, i.e. HKG-NRT-LAX will require two redemptions and results in huge increase of required miles
I am mainly annoyed by the 'no changes to awards', policy being added. Now we have to cancel the full itinerary and rebook. But who says the seats go back in to award inventory, or if it is an F award that it will not be sent to the people on the wait list.
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I am mainly annoyed by the 'no changes to awards', policy being added. Now we have to cancel the full itinerary and rebook. But who says the seats go back in to award inventory, or if it is an F award that it will not be sent to the people on the wait list.
they can make sure it goes back to you but they also may need to charge you ticketing fee as a result which by the way is increasing to the same amount as the ticketing fee of a regular ticket, e.g. from USD20 to USD50 in the US.

i am more annoyed by the no waitlisting. It basically takes away our priority over other FFPs. I hope they will consider allowing FLY ON members to waitlist. You know if this goes well, they will target upgrade next
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

they can make sure it goes back to you but they also may need to charge you ticketing fee as a result which by the way is increasing to the same amount as the ticketing fee of a regular ticket, e.g. from USD20 to USD50 in the US.

i am more annoyed by the no waitlisting. It basically takes away our priority over other FFPs. I hope they will consider allowing FLY ON members to waitlist. You know if this goes well, they will target upgrade next
Yeah, the wait list comes in as a great annoyance as well. But I have used changes more than wait listing.
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:12 am

Next: Upgrade bidding.
Don't say it out loud.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by jgchiker
Next: Upgrade bidding.
Don't say it out loud.
They can do Upgrade Award PLUS (similar to the new international award PLUS) and cash upgrade bidding But then cash upgrade bidding will cheapen the premium cabin so I am not sure if JL would want to do that. And it's not like they have problem filling their premium cabins (at least on LAX-NRT )

But my wish list is: default JGC without JALCARD to ruby. This way, JAL can match what NH offers domestically (i.e. Sapphire status) but for the rest of the market those freeloaders will only get Ruby and need to fly on JL to get lounge access.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: NH-SFC, SQ, UA, JL- JGC/Sapphire, AA, DL, IHG-Gold, SPG-Gold, Marriott-gold
This new change (no change/waitlisting) will totally destroy the flexibility of award ticket rule.
Use it or lose it policy (of course cancellation and rescedule might be possible though) doesn’t seem to be a good move to me, anyway.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Snip....
But my wish list is: default JGC without JALCARD to ruby. This way, JAL can match what NH offers domestically (i.e. Sapphire status) but for the rest of the market those freeloaders will only get Ruby and need to fly on JL to get lounge access.
If they need to reduce the cost of operating JMB this would seem like a more obvious one. Then again, who pays for the lounge for lounge access in Oneworld? And are there in reality that many outside of Japan?

​​​​​​
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If they need to reduce the cost of operating JMB this would seem like a more obvious one. Then again, who pays for the lounge for lounge access in Oneworld? And are there in reality that many outside of Japan?

​​​​​​
and inc hk and tw.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.