Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Using JAL miles for partner airlines change questions

Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi anyone books partner airline using JAL miles before? I have 3 questions:

1. It says I can change date and time as long as I don't change origin to destination. My itinerary will be multiple sectors, so which is considered destination? Is it the last sector ,or per sector?

2. If I just wan to change the date /time on one sector, can I just do that online? or I have to call in?

3. Are there any fees besides the differences in tax?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by flybie
Hi anyone books partner airline using JAL miles before? I have 3 questions:
1. It says I can change date and time as long as I don't change origin to destination. My itinerary will be multiple sectors, so which is considered destination? Is it the last sector ,or per sector?
Assuming you took time to read up on the award rules before engaging in this Miles game, check out the award rules here (link). Since JMB is a distance based award chart, destination is the location furthest from your origin (typically, the location on your itinerary requiring most miles from your origin city).
2. If I just wan to change the date /time on one sector, can I just do that online? or I have to call in?
Have to call it in if it includes sectors on JAL partners. Online changes can be done with JAL only itineraries, or specific OW partners (single partner awards, e.g. Cathay only award). Your mileage may vary, but expect the need to call it in.
3. Are there any fees besides the differences in tax?
Nope, as long as you do it prior to departure. See award rules above. Some changes after departure are also accepted.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond
I'm not a miles expert at all (just used my first award ticket ever recently), but what I used happens to have been a JMB partner ticket and I discussed the rules in great detail with the agents at JAL Plaza and also made a late change to my itinerary, so I know this one! Tokyoite's answer to #1 is not correct and #2 is fuzzy.

This is the correct link for the rules of partner award tickets. It's not just origin and destination; you can't change the route at all. That's what I heard from multiple JAL agents and it's pretty clear at the bottom of the linked page: "Changes to the traveler's name, the airline carrier, the flight sector, the class of service, the routing, reversing the direction of travel, and exchanges to other awards are not permitted." You can, however, cancel the ticket for just 3,100 and get a new one as long as it's before the departure.

As long as you're talking about a "JMB Partner Airlines Award Ticket," you can definitely change online if it's not too close to the flight time. I even changed mine online in the middle of the itinerary (pushed back the return flight by a few days); it worked perfectly and I couldn't believe how easy it was.

And yes, it was totally free, even after departure.

Last edited by aikinai; Jun 20, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
NOTED.
1, yes, the change rules are much tighter. the OP asked what would be the definition of his destination. Your comprehensive answer is much better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.