Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

FA removed from flight duty due to drinking during a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA removed from flight duty due to drinking during a flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by akl_traveller
Wrong. There are particular codes of unwritten conduct. One of them is not snitching. Telling on others is petty. We have entire surveillance/authority systems designed to do it.

This doesn't mean you don't answer questions from the police - we're not talking about omerta.

If you were working in a fast food restaurant, and saw one of your coworkers sneaking a free burger, would you tell your boss?
ROTFL. What you've posted sounds completely ridiculous. Yes I would tell my boss about an employee stealing food if he wasn't supposed to have it.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
BKK based male FA was removed form flight duty due to drinking beer on May 22 JL 8791 HNL-KIX (787-8, JA832J) while on duty.

This passenger reported the situation to JAL via website on May 31.
It was such an urgent safety issue that not only did the passenger not immediately alert another FA, she or he waited 9 days to report it.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
It was such an urgent safety issue that not only did the passenger not immediately alert another FA, she or he waited 9 days to report it.
Does that make it ok then?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
"Alcohol Consumption and Cognitive Performance in the Framingham Heart Study, Penelope K. Elias Merrill F. Elias Ralph B. D'Agostino Halit Silbershatz Philip A. Wolf, American Journal of Epidemiology, Volume 150, Issue 6, 15 September 1999, Pages 580–589, https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a010056

"Women who drank moderately (2–4 drinks/day) showed superior performance in many cognitive domains relative to abstainers. For men, Superior performance was found within the range of 4–8 drinks/day""

If you were working in a fast food restaurant, and saw one of your coworkers sneaking a free burger, would you tell your boss?
You can easily google pro and cons on almost any disagreement on the internet. I am just a normal person, go will normal rule. ie I have friend drunk by couple sip on a beer! I have no way to tell if he can drink or he has drinking issue. Being a FA, the best course of action is to avoid unnecessary risk, to do their job. End of the day, if the employee disagree such rule, he can choose another career.

On your second comment, are we talking about the same world we lived in? Is this a cultural thing? To answer your question, in most case, yes, I would tell the employee not to do it, and or, report it.

Last edited by Fly2Where; Jun 15, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
You can easily google pro and cons on almost any disagreement on the internet. I am just a normal person, go will normal rule. ie I have friend drunk by couple sip on a beer! I have no way to tell if he can drink or he has drinking issue. Being a FA, the best course of action is to avoid unnecessary risk, to do their job. End of the day, if the employee disagree such rule, he can choose another career.

On your second comment, are we talking about the same world we lived in? Is this a cultural thing? To answer your question, in most case, yes, I would tell the employee not to do it, and or, report it.
It's clearly a cultural thing. Proper upbringing teaches one that tattling is wrong. If asked directly, tell the truth, but never volunteer. It simply breeds mistrust.

You could say to the FA "don't drink that beer" and that's entirely appropriate. But tattling to the authorities is a sign of low breeding.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
It's clearly a cultural thing. Proper upbringing teaches one that tattling is wrong. If asked directly, tell the truth, but never volunteer. It simply breeds mistrust.

You could say to the FA "don't drink that beer" and that's entirely appropriate. But tattling to the authorities is a sign of low breeding.
Where I come from, admonishing strangers on the internet for their "low breeding" is a sure sign of low breeding. But I guess to each their own.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Snitches get stitches.
Does that make it ok then?
No but it certainly makes the severity of the violation in doubt
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by rill2503456
Where I come from, admonishing strangers on the internet for their "low breeding" is a sure sign of low breeding. But I guess to each their own.
People who dont like "tattling" are usually doing something they shouldn't be doing.

I was bullied in school. Should I keep my mouth shut, or tell someone?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton

May I suggest you read (from google) "tattling vs telling" by "meteokids" or "together against bulling".
you will get a better idea what is tattling means.

You are reporting someone misconduct which may affect others life or report someone "stealing" food certainly not consider tattling.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:55 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 39
Username Posts
akl_traveller 4
zitsky 3
DeepUnderground 3
NeedstoFly 3

12.3 Disruptive or repetitive posting
Posts that are inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative are not allowed.

Disrupting a forum by repetitively posting comments of the same general theme or 'piling-on' by posting merely to reinforce or bump a prior post of a disruptive nature are both examples of disruptive posting and not permitted.
Perhaps contributors to this thread might consider coming back to the topic rather than over-analysing the semantics of certain words and cultural actions?

NWIFlyer
Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.