Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

FA removed from flight duty due to drinking during a flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

BKK based male FA was removed form flight duty due to drinking beer on May 22 JL 8791 HNL-KIX (787-8, JA832J) while on duty.

This FA was on duty on the flight. About 3 hrs. after takeoff from HNL a passenger saw this FA walk into a lavatory with a can of beer in hand. Then the passenger noticed that this FA walked out of the lavatory without a can of beer in hand. This passenger got curious and went into the lavatory and found empty beer can in a trash bin.

This passenger reported the situation to JAL via website on May 31. JAL has identified the FA and inquired about what the passenger has observed. The FA did admit drinking beer during the flight on May 22. JAL has removed this FA from flight duties. JAL said this FA joined JAL on April 2017 and has been flying as FA for 8 months.

JAL said such incident is first in their company history, FA drinking during flight duty. JAL indicated that up till 2001 company allowed tasting of drinks before serving to passengers. Like bartenders take small straw and taste drops of drinks before serving to customers. However, JAL indicated since 2001 even such action is against company policy.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jun 6, 2018 at 1:21 pm Reason: I fixed it...
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Maybe he took it into the lab to test it?

New feature of Dreamliner I haven't yet seen.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I always drink a beer when going in my laboratory!
kaka and rill2503456 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My first thought was that perhaps the FA took the beer can into the lav to dump the contents down the drain (sink or toilet), although this could make the lavatory smell unpleasantly of beer. However, when he admitted drinking the beer, job over.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My first thought was that perhaps the FA took the beer can into the lav to dump the contents down the drain (sink or toilet), although this could make the lavatory smell unpleasantly of beer. However, when he admitted drinking the beer, job over.
They have places to drain and discard liquids in the galley. He would never need to do that in the lav. At least on wide bodies.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

And JAL have apologised on their website

Acknowledgement and Apology - Cabin Attendant in Violation of Consuming Alcohol during Flight - JAL

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:05 pm

Why do people seem to enjoy being narcs about such things?
KenTarmac, Chang11 and rufflesinc like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
Trust me, it's not enjoyable. I have ended a few careers over inappropriate behaviors witnessed. It is in no way enjoyable whatsoever.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response to post #5:

True, but the drain might have been blocked. It's not uncommon to see a FA dumping a coffee pot or a bottle of wine in the forward cabin lavatory before landing.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 6, 2018 at 6:27 pm Reason: Realized that I hadn't quoted the post I meant to quote
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Trust me, it's not enjoyable. I have ended a few careers over inappropriate behaviors witnessed. It is in no way enjoyable whatsoever.
So why have u felt pressed to take on this unpleasant task?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Who says anyone enjoyed it? This should be reported, as it's a safety issue. Alcohol impairs judgment and slows reflexes. We need to know that FAs can be counted on to perform their duties in the event of an emergency. It would be pretty difficult for a drunk/buzzed FA to perform his job functions properly in an emergency situation. I hope the FA seeks the appropriate counseling/treatment for his drinking problem.

What's your solution? Be a "bro" and ignore it?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swingaling
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Who says anyone enjoyed it? This should be reported, as it's a safety issue. Alcohol impairs judgment and slows reflexes. We need to know that FAs can be counted on to perform their duties in the event of an emergency. It would be pretty difficult for a drunk/buzzed FA to perform his job functions properly in an emergency situation. I hope the FA seeks the appropriate counseling/treatment for his drinking problem.

What's your solution? Be a "bro" and ignore it?
So does lack of sleep, working with a cold, personal issues on the mind while at work, upset stomach, headache, menstrual cramps, etc. There are a myriad of factors that can impair a FA's ability to perform his/her job in an emergency situation. That's why there is usually more than one attendant on a flight. DeepUnderground, Don't make yourself judge, jury and executioner. That's not your job. Contrary to your statement, I believe you do take a perverse pleasure in ending careers as you've stated that you've " ended a few careers over inappropriate behaviors witnessed. " I can't speak to the other occasions as you haven't elaborated upon them but there is an apparent pattern of seeking out the opportunity where ever it may present itself, be it warranted or not.

If there were a true emergency on my flight I'd be more concerned about the capabilities of the pilot(s) or the ability of the drunk sitting in the exit row to open the emergency exit, or the old lady that was wheel-chaired onto the flight sitting in the isle seat who's going to impede my immediate exit than the FA who might be buzzed.

Swingaling, Your expectation of what FA's are capable of in an emergency and reality are far removed from each other. I've heard "Is there a doctor, nurse, EMT or other medical personnel on board?" more times than I can count. Those are the true emergency situations that are far more likely to be encountered and no, FA's are not equipped to handle them beyond basic first aid - sober or not.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Your expectation of what FA's are capable of in an emergency and reality are far removed from each other. I've heard "Is there a doctor, nurse, EMT or other medical personnel on board?" more times than I can count. Those are the true emergency situations that are far more likely to be encountered and no, FA's are not equipped to handle them beyond basic first aid - sober or not.
I'd expect an FA to be able to follow instructions from the captain and communicate instructions to passengers in an emergency. I don't expect them to provide medical assistance beyond basic first aid. Regardless, it's indisputable that being drunk is only a hindrance to the performance of one's duties. An unlike being tired or sick, being drunk is entirely within his control.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:49 pm

So why have u felt pressed to take on this unpleasant task?
Well, because it's fare more pleasant than them injuring or killing themselves and others due to their disregard of policies and procedures. I unfortunately can tell you THAT is FAR more unpleasant than terminating someone's employment,,,
mrow likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
So does lack of sleep, working with a cold, personal issues on the mind while at work, upset stomach, headache, menstrual cramps, etc. There are a myriad of factors that can impair a FA's ability to perform his/her job in an emergency situation. That's why there is usually more than one attendant on a flight. DeepUnderground, Don't make yourself judge, jury and executioner. That's not your job. Contrary to your statement, I believe you do take a perverse pleasure in ending careers as you've stated that you've " ended a few careers over inappropriate behaviors witnessed. " I can't speak to the other occasions as you haven't elaborated upon them but there is an apparent pattern of seeking out the opportunity where ever it may present itself, be it warranted or not.

If there were a true emergency on my flight I'd be more concerned about the capabilities of the pilot(s) or the ability of the drunk sitting in the exit row to open the emergency exit, or the old lady that was wheel-chaired onto the flight sitting in the isle seat who's going to impede my immediate exit than the FA who might be buzzed.

Swingaling, Your expectation of what FA's are capable of in an emergency and reality are far removed from each other. I've heard "Is there a doctor, nurse, EMT or other medical personnel on board?" more times than I can count. Those are the true emergency situations that are far more likely to be encountered and no, FA's are not equipped to handle them beyond basic first aid - sober or not.
In what bizzaro world does someone try to justify a flight attendant drinking on the job?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.