Wiki Posts
Search

OKA F check-in?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2018, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS
OKA F check-in?

I have an upcoming trip OKA-HND-SFO on a single ticket. OKA-HND in Business (no F on the route), HND-SFO in F. Does OKA tag F bags with "First Class" tags?

My last trip when going HND-SFO non-stop the HND check-in tagged both our checked bags and our carry-ons with red "First Class" tags. Our bags definitely came out of the carousel first at SFO so it made a difference. I am not sure if OKA has any F service. Does anyone know if they have F bag tags and will use them for onward F pax from OKA?
Old May 14, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: JL JML, Delta Plat, CA Plat, CZ Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton DM
JL did have First Class Service on OKA-HND route, so I'm pretty they have the red first class luggage tags on their end.
Just kindly inform the ground crew that you're flying F Internationally and I'm pretty sure they'll glad to help.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
As JAL uses the first class tags for domestic luggage of Emerald members as well, all stations will have them handy for check in. Also to properly apply the for international connections. As a side note, if I check in with BA in Copenhagen and connect in Heathrow to JAL, my checked luggage will appear in Tokyo with the proper JAL first class tags. They are added when the luggage is handed over in LHR.

OKA HND does have domestic first class on some but not all flights. But it does not have business class, class J as it is called is really a domestic premium economy class. This is available on all flights on OKA HND:

As for the red tags for your carry on, they are not used for domestic flights and I don't think they have them outside of HND and NRT check in, but I might be worng. So if they are important to you, you may have to pass by the ckeck in desk in Tokyo to get them applied.
kaka and 07L 25R like this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; May 14, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Old May 14, 2018, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
why do you want tags for your carry on!?
Old May 15, 2018, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS
Thanks for the replies everyone. I mainly want the tags for the checked luggage to get priority handling. I was a bit surprised last time to see carry-on tags as I was unsure exactly what the point of those was. My guess would be just so you would not be hassled to gate check if they were running low on overhead space and were doing a blanket gate check for carry-ons without checking BP's to see which cabin you were in. The carry-on tags do not matter to me but the checked bag priority tags are quite helpful.

Slightly OT, the F check-in staff at HND on my last (and up til now only) Japan trip was fantastic. They practically swarmed on us and gave us what felt like the royal treatment. I have never in my life experienced anything like it before from an airline. Truly a great experience that really highlights a true F service that starts way before you get on the plane.

Last edited by skimthetrees; May 15, 2018 at 2:53 am
Old May 15, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Thanks for the replies everyone. I mainly want the tags for the checked luggage to get priority handling. I was a bit surprised last time to see carry-on tags as I was unsure exactly what the point of those was. My guess would be just so you would not be hassled to gate check if they were running low on overhead space and were doing a blanket gate check for carry-ons without checking BP's to see which cabin you were in. The carry-on tags do not matter to me but the checked bag priority tags are quite helpful.
I have never seen gate checked luggage on JAL. Because they have effective luggage delivery, and they don't rip of passengers on checked luggage fees, it is not a problem.

But the purpose of the carry on tags is to let JAL staff see at a distance that you are a passenger in first class and potentially speed you through a few inter actions. But really not needed.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
The culture in Japan is different. The country is very service oriented.
kaka likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Regardless to what class you travel okahnd, ur hndsfo leg will b tagged properly at hnd.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Originally Posted by kaka
why do you want tags for your carry on!?
Because we all love to show our DYKWIA side
There's nothing cooler than flashing all our amazing gold and black cards with little green ovals in the corner, or more fashionable than having bright orange tags to remind ourselves that we have PRIORITY over everyone else.

But on a more serious note:

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
... My guess would be just so you would not be hassled to gate check if they were running low on overhead space...
that is a very valid point in Europe/Americas - and I have to admit (shamelessly) that I have made use of such unwritten benefits and carried on just a tad more than my fair share of cabin baggage - i.e. a rollaboard and a backpack of similar size - without issue. But as CPH-Flyer mentioned, I've never seen gate checking of anything other than wheelchairs and strollers in Asia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.