JAL First Class Lounge: NRT or HND?

Old May 13, 18, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

JAL First Class Lounge: NRT or HND?

Looking at using miles to fly JAL First Class from Tokyo to JFK. There's a Narita flight and a Haneda flight, so I figured I'd just pick the option where the lounge at the initial airport is better. Based on experience, which one would y'all recommend and why?
Old May 13, 18, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
I would say about same same. Slightly different services though.

NRT has a sushi bar, HND has a teppanyaki station that serves gallette (French style buckwheat pancakes) in the morning and a beef dish in the afternoons evenings.

HND is newer and brighter.

NRT has the sattelite lounge as well, which is usually uncrowded. Once you are done with the sushi..

Food and drink from the buffet is the same, though the you have to go to the sattelite lounge in Narita to find the Laurent-Perrier champagne.

​​​​​​
Old May 13, 18, 6:22 pm

I prefer HND - it's closer to the city, and the lounge is much less crowded. they also have an amazing room towards the back with JAL memorabilia and a cool champagne/sake room. I've never seen more than 2-3 people in that room - very relaxing before a flight.
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old May 13, 18, 6:48 pm

Programs: JGC premier
Used to prefer NRT lounge as it offered massage, but now that the service is no longer offered, they’re about the same. I’ll pick HND just for the sheer convenience.
Old May 13, 18, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bakaneko85 View Post
Used to prefer NRT lounge as it offered massage, but now that the service is no longer offered, they’re about the same. I’ll pick HND just for the sheer convenience.
Convenience really depends on where you start. I am in central Tokyo, and would say 1h 20m to get to Narita and 45 minutes to get to Haneda. So not really an influencing factor for me. Though it can easily be, in either direction depending on your location.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old May 13, 18, 8:52 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Convenience really depends on where you start. I am in central Tokyo, and would say 1h 20m to get to Narita and 45 minutes to get to Haneda. So not really an influencing factor for me. Though it can easily be, in either direction depending on your location.
not to mention the dedicated JL priority security lane vs the priority for all at HND. I wouldn’t discount NRT at all and would just pick based on schedule.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old May 13, 18, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

not to mention the dedicated JL priority security lane vs the priority for all at HND. I wouldn’t discount NRT at all and would just pick based on schedule.
Funny, I started writing about that, but apparently skipped it again At peak hours the NRT security experience is indeed far superior.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old May 13, 18, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i agree.
Old May 14, 18, 4:36 am

Programs: JGC premier
True, I am speaking in terms of convenience for me personally since I live close enough to monorail Hamamatsucho. With regards to priority line, I guess I’ve been lucky enough to avoid peak times, so the difference between JL only and other airlines elites line is marginal. For me, except for location NRT and HND is pretty much equal, but I can imagine others located closer to NRT preferring NRT.
Old May 14, 18, 1:44 pm

HND for the food court airside!
Old May 14, 18, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan View Post
HND for the food court airside!
pass...free food is better lol
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old May 16, 18, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I loved the Red Suite at the JAL F lounge in HND with all the old memorabilia and photos ( and also as an aside the CX F/J lounge at HND) but the JAL lounges at NRT are very good also ( the satellite lounge is usually quieter IME but no sushi)

In the main terminal is the F lounge on the floor above the main F lounge still in use? ( I used in in 2016) but in my last 3 visits the upper lounge has been closed

Regards

TBS
Old May 16, 18, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

... snip... )

In the main terminal is the F lounge on the floor above the main F lounge still in use? ( I used in in 2016) but in my last 3 visits the upper lounge has been closed

Regards

TBS
It depends on the time of day, it used to be for the morning departures, so open until about noon. But I have seen them use it as an extra Sakura lounge as well. I rarely check if it is open though But if I is, another option to avoid the crowds, though with the absence of a sushi bar.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 17, 18, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Toughie but would generally say HND. The Red Suite is very cool and well the Karage is just incredible.
Old May 19, 18, 6:16 pm

Sigh regular line is shorter at HND today

Search this Thread
Search Engine: