Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL to set up B788 LCC for International Routes to launch by summer 2020.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL to set up B788 LCC for International Routes to launch by summer 2020.

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20180509_14/

The plan is to use NRT as the base. I hope they can either move most of the flights to HND and leave NRT as their LCC base or at least keep some connecting flights options for US/European flights and not switching everything to LCC at NRT

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...Tokyo-Olympics

So what kind of US/European destinations they have in mind if they don't plan to overlap with existing JL flights?
In Europe it should be easy to find major cities they don't currently serve. Look to where Japanese tour groups go.
Florence, Pisa, Sienna, could be served via Milan.
Neu Schwanstein Castle and other Bavarian castles, Salzburg and other Alpine destinations through Munich.
Athens for the whole of classic Greek destinations.
Etc. Etc. Etc.
​​​​​
Old May 8, 2018, 7:45 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
In Europe it should be easy to find major cities they don't currently serve. Look to where Japanese tour groups go.
Florence, Pisa, Sienna, could be served via Milan.
Neu Schwanstein Castle and other Bavarian castles, Salzburg and other Alpine destinations through Munich.
Athens for the whole of classic Greek destinations.
Etc. Etc. Etc.
​​​​​
For US, maybe they can do IAD, SJC, IAH, SEA, etc...yea all NH destinations LOL
Old May 8, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
For US, maybe they can do IAD, SJC, IAH, SEA, etc...yea all NH destinations LOL
For the US I would guess Vegas, the Rockies (so Denver), maybe seasonal Alaska, as something that could draw a reasonable Japanese tour group basis. But more difficult to think of options than in Europe
Old May 8, 2018, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20180509_14/

The plan is to use NRT as the base. I hope they can either move most of the flights to HND and leave NRT as their LCC base or at least keep some connecting flights options for US/European flights and not switching everything to LCC at NRT

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...Tokyo-Olympics

So what kind of US/European destinations they have in mind if they don't plan to overlap with existing JL flights?
get rid of the yvr flight lol
hnl
maybe additional lax service
Old May 8, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka

get rid of the yvr flight lol
hnl
maybe additional lax service
Those are all overlaps

I hope they don't move the KIX-LAX over to LCC. That would suck.
kaka likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

For the US I would guess Vegas, the Rockies (so Denver), maybe seasonal Alaska, as something that could draw a reasonable Japanese tour group basis. But more difficult to think of options than in Europe
Yea, JL used to serve Vegas via LAX. Would be nice to bring that back but this time with real non-stop service. But I still want them to start LCC service to all NH only destinations just to screw those crying babies LOL

Will be interesting to see what kind of plan will be used for this long-haul LCC. Guess it's A350 vs B787?
Old May 11, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: QFF
Why setup one more? To get full ownership? I actually don't know the details of the ownership of Jetstar Japan, but imagine that Qantas has a share.

​​​​​​
JAL and Qantas each hold 47% economy interest and 33.3% ownership in Jetstar Japan. The rest is made up by Mitsubishi Corporation and Century Tokyo Leasing Corporation
Old May 13, 2018, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

JAL Group - PRESS RELEASES - Establishment of a New International Low-Cost Carrier Business

officual announcement. Co will be established in July 2018. Initial fleet will consist of 2 787-8s targeting select destinations in Asia, Europe, and America. Target launch date is summer 2020
Old May 13, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
When will we have an LCC operating from NRT to HNL?
Old May 14, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

https://jp.reuters.com/article/jal-lcc-idJPKCN1IF0CB

A bit more info from Reuters.

1. They want to make it profitable within 3 years
2. Prefer to use a separate brand and you probably won't see the Tsurumaru logo either
3. The 787-8 will have ~300 seats, a 40%-50% form the existing ~200 seat config on JAL
Old May 14, 2018, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://jp.reuters.com/article/jal-lcc-idJPKCN1IF0CB

A bit more info from Reuters.

1. They want to make it profitable within 3 years
2. Prefer to use a separate brand and you probably won't see the Tsurumaru logo either
3. The 787-8 will have ~300 seats, a 40%-50% form the existing ~200 seat config on JAL
Hello 3-3-3 in economy class. Otherwise they are not getting a 787-8 up to 300.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Hello 3-3-3 in economy class. Otherwise they are not getting a 787-8 up to 300.
They can with an all Y config LOL

I guess the config will be similar to E03. They can replace the min C cabin with Y (or PY?) and make Y 9 abreast.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They can with an all Y config LOL

I guess the config will be similar to E03. They can replace the min C cabin with Y (or PY?) and make Y 9 abreast.
With a 2-3-2 premium economy section between doors 1 and 2 and 9 abreast Y for the rest,Norwegian Air Shuttle gets 291 seats in to a 787-8. With an all Y layout they would need to squeeze an additional 28 seats in between door 1 and 2 comapred to DY premium economy to make that happen with 2-4-2 throughout. I'll be selling shoehorns in NRT to get people in between the rows if that happens....
Old May 14, 2018, 2:58 am
Original Poster

With a 2-3-2 premium economy section between doors 1 and 2 and 9 abreast Y for the rest,Norwegian Air Shuttle gets 291 seats in to a 787-8. With an all Y layout they would need to squeeze an additional 28 seats in between door 1 and 2 comapred to DY premium economy to make that happen with 2-4-2 throughout. I'll be selling shoehorns in NRT to get people in between the rows if that happens....
how about NH 78P? You can make that a 8 abreast with a sh!tty long haul C seat LOL

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/domestic...etail/b8p.html

i know it’s a LCC so 9 abreast is more likely to differentiate the luxury offerings by JL
Old May 14, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how about NH 78P? You can make that a 8 abreast with a sh!tty long haul C seat LOL

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/domestic...etail/b8p.html

i know it’s a LCC so 9 abreast is more likely to differentiate the luxury offerings by JL
They could, if they are willing to serve nothing else than drinks. They will lack the galley space for food. Lol.

I think it is a given that to get profit out of an LCC operation, there is no space for 2-4-2. They seemed to want to staff the cockpit from JAL pilots, so no low cost crews there. Cost has to go down somewhere

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.