JL42 and 41 Economy seat reservation

Old May 6, 18, 9:44 am
Original Poster

JL42 and 41 Economy seat reservation

Is it usual for JAL not to allow the reservation of seats on JL42 and 41 LHR-HND and ITM-HND-LHR back booked 7 months in advance.

We are going in December and to grab a reasonable priced and flexible evening flight ITM via HND to get the 02:45 JL41 thought we would book early. It allowed us to reserve seats on the ITM to HND return leg but not LHR-HND and HND-LHR. This is in economy by the way and I have called JAL direct who stated it was the type of ticket booked although it didn't state this restriction when booking.

If this is usual how early will seats open as we are keen to get a pair of seats on either side of the aircraft.

Thanks everyone in advance for replies.
Old May 6, 18, 4:23 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
You booked a N class ticket so you can’t select seat until OLCI, which opens up at T-24
Old May 6, 18, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Your booking class determines if you can select seats in advance.
Old May 7, 18, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks both, thats a shame as it doesn't state clearly thats the case and in fact the seat selection advice states the following which included Economy Discount fares.

Who can select a seat?

Seat selection is available to passengers traveling on JAL First Class, Business Class, Premium Economy Class ot Economy Class with normal or discount fares for individual passengers. Seat selection is also available to passengers using award tickets.

It is was it is so hopefully we will be able to get one of the seat pairs at OLCI.
Old May 7, 18, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by flapland View Post
Thanks both, thats a shame as it doesn't state clearly thats the case and in fact the seat selection advice states the following which included Economy Discount fares.Who can select a seat?

Seat selection is available to passengers traveling on JAL First Class, Business Class, Premium Economy Class ot Economy Class with normal or discount fares for individual passengers. Seat selection is also available to passengers using award tickets.

It is was it is so hopefully we will be able to get one of the seat pairs at OLCI.
Guess you didn’t read the remark
* Seat selection is not available in the following situations.
  • When all seats available for advance seat selection have already been assigned (limited availability)
  • Non-JAL Group flight
  • Codeshare flight operated by other airlines
  • Deutsche Bahn Rail segments
  • For safety reasons, an infant occupying a seat may not be accepted on First Class seats that have aisles in between neighboring seats.
  • Some fares sold outside Japan
Old May 7, 18, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Ok slightly vague small print but never mind, it would be good if they offered a pay for option without having to book Flexi tickets the only other option available for those flights and approx 1200 rtrn extra.
Old May 7, 18, 1:23 pm

Ok slightly vague small print but never mind, it would be good if they offered a pay for option without having to book Flexi tickets the only other option available for those flights and approx 1200 rtrn extra.
You don't need Flex tickets, just need booking class Q, and S or above. Shouldn't cost that much more.

They used to display it clearly on the fares page but now the page is gone after the Amadeus migration/website renewal.
Old May 7, 18, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Suspect your right but as its booked now not much I can do except cross my fingers. I might give the London office during the week to see if there is anything I can do including paying the difference to the applicable booking class.

Still a good deal as the flight times are ideal for me and allows us to have a full day in Kyoto or Osaka before we head to the airport.

Thanks again for your input and time.
Old May 7, 18, 3:26 pm

Suspect your right but as its booked now not much I can do except cross my fingers. I might give the London office during the week to see if there is anything I can do including paying the difference to the applicable booking class.

Still a good deal as the flight times are ideal for me and allows us to have a full day in Kyoto or Osaka before we head to the airport.

Thanks again for your input and time.
Check the fare rules. Sometimes tickets allow upselling without penalty. But you may still need to pay for the ticketing fee.
Old May 26, 18, 11:08 am
Original Poster

I am been keeping a weekly eye on my reservation and today I have been able to select seats on the LHR-HND and HND-LHR flights which is excellent news. Not sure of what triggered them being opened up but certainly not complaining.
Old Jun 3, 18, 8:57 am

I am been keeping a weekly eye on my reservation and today I have been able to select seats on the LHR-HND and HND-LHR flights which is excellent news. Not sure of what triggered them being opened up but certainly not complaining.
probably a glitch. Just hope the assignment stays.

Search this Thread