JAL charged for the same ticket multiple times

Old May 3, 18, 9:01 pm
  #1  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,061
JAL charged for the same ticket multiple times

Apparently there's an issue on JAL website and JAL is posting charges from the same ticket purchase multiple times. JAL agent claims they have fixed the problem but then also told me they are still investigating my multiple charges and cannot guarantee they won't post for the 4th time. So if you have purchased a ticket from JAL website recently, check your credit card statement/account.

Below is the timeline
4/24 Purchased ticket via JAL website
4/28 Credit card account shows 2 posted charges from JAL with the same amount. Transaction date is 4/24
4/28 Called credit card and JAL. JAL said they will get back to me, most likely on Monday 4/30
4/30 No call from JAL
5/3 JAL charged me for the THIRD time for the same ticket but this time the transaction date is 4/26. Called JAL and they are still investigating and requested for more info from me (they could have called me after I filed the first complaint)
JALPak is offline  
Old May 3, 18, 11:25 pm
  #2  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,061
Got a reply from JAL and they are blaming the GDS partner. This affects purchased made over the phone as well
JALPak is offline  
Old May 4, 18, 7:42 am
  #3  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,061
Finally a notice on JAL website but did they get it right? The date is off and the number of times I got charged is off too LOL
Tickets purchased on 24APR or 25APR* by To customers who purchased tickets on April 24 or 25* by credit card through the JAL website or reservation centercredit card on JAL website or Reservation call center

To customers who purchased tickets on April 24 or 25* by credit card through the JAL website or reservation center

Due to system malfunction, tickets purchased on April 24 or 25* by credit card through either JAL website or reservation center may have been credited twice.
Japan Airlines is currently correcting the data and is estimated to be completed within the next few days.
If you have encountered any trouble related to this matter, please contact Japan Airlines reservation center. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

*April 24 - Tickets purchased in Australia, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan
April 25 - Tickets purchased in Europe, U.S.A., Russia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam
JALPak is offline  
Old May 5, 18, 2:03 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG/PDX
Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 4,283
It's JAL's triple FOP bonus campaign.
rustykettel is offline  
Old May 5, 18, 7:26 am
  #5  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,061
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
It's JAL's triple FOP bonus campaign.
more like 1/3 FOP campaign. You pay triple the amount but get the same FOPs

FYI, JAL has updated the web notice with the correct date and info now. And even airport purchases made on 4/24 are affected.
JALPak is offline  
Old May 5, 18, 7:30 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,331
I take it that all that is required is a call / webform / email to your card issuer (bank) and duplicate charges are reversed relatively instantly. Waiting for the merchant vendor, air carrier here, to act, takes wasted time on the phone and waiting afterwards.
Often1 is offline  
Old May 5, 18, 8:12 am
  #7  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,061
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I take it that all that is required is a call / webform / email to your card issuer (bank) and duplicate charges are reversed relatively instantly. Waiting for the merchant vendor, air carrier here, to act, takes wasted time on the phone and waiting afterwards.
nope, stupid Amex didn’t do it and claims it will take up to 8 weeks to reverse even though the transaction details have the exact eticket number, passenger name and itinerary. They told me it will be quicker to deal with the merchant
JALPak is offline  
Old May 5, 18, 1:14 pm
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

nope, stupid Amex didnít do it and claims it will take up to 8 weeks to reverse even though the transaction details have the exact eticket number, passenger name and itinerary. They told me it will be quicker to deal with the merchant
seems like sth fishy is going on
kaka is offline  
Old May 5, 18, 4:47 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,331
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

nope, stupid Amex didn’t do it and claims it will take up to 8 weeks to reverse even though the transaction details have the exact eticket number, passenger name and itinerary. They told me it will be quicker to deal with the merchant
Ask for a superviaor. Amex will post a temporary credit which does not hit your CL or accrue interest within one business day if it accepts a dispute. If the dispute is denied, all bets are off.
Often1 is offline  
Old May 7, 18, 1:51 am
  #10  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,061
JAL credited the money back just now.
kaka likes this.
JALPak is offline  
Old May 8, 18, 3:29 am
  #11  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,061
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/180410.html

JAL posted duplicate charges for inflight purchases made in Mar LOL what’s up with all these duplicate charges they have recently?
JALPak is offline  
Old May 13, 18, 11:09 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Singapore
Programs: JL Premier | Marriott Platinum Elite | GE, TSA-Pre
Posts: 6,662
I was one of the affected ones and only had 1 duplicate charge. My booking was done online via JAL website. Charges was reversed by JAL but due to the foreign exchange rate, I wasn't refunded fully. Requested JAL to cover the loss in forex charges as well. Pending reply.
lcpteck is offline  
Old May 13, 18, 11:12 pm
  #13  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,061
Originally Posted by lcpteck View Post
I was one of the affected ones and only had 1 duplicate charge. My booking was done online via JAL website. Charges was reversed by JAL but due to the foreign exchange rate, I wasn't refunded fully. Requested JAL to cover the loss in forex charges as well. Pending reply.
I actually got a more favorable exchange rate saved me $2 lol if JL doesn’t cover the difference, you can always dispute it with your card

JALPak is offline  
Old May 16, 18, 6:43 pm
  #14  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,061
Just got an email from JL regarding this. They even offered compensation, and I didn't even ask for it.

Funny that they are offering either Amazon gift cards or JMB miles. So no JAL Coupon this time? And it's a much more generous offer/mile to cash conversion rate compared to the IFE malfunction. Last time was either JPY3,000 JAL Coupon or 3,000 miles. This time it's 5,000 miles or $50 Amazon gift card. Not sure if my amount is higher than others because of them tripling charging me for transpacific business class. Others only have been double charged
JALPak is offline  
Old Oct 8, 18, 2:32 am
  #15  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 15,061
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Just got an email from JL regarding this. They even offered compensation, and I didn't even ask for it.

Funny that they are offering either Amazon gift cards or JMB miles. So no JAL Coupon this time? And it's a much more generous offer/mile to cash conversion rate compared to the IFE malfunction. Last time was either JPY3,000 JAL Coupon or 3,000 miles. This time it's 5,000 miles or $50 Amazon gift card. Not sure if my amount is higher than others because of them tripling charging me for transpacific business class. Others only have been double charged
They still have not credited the 5,000 miles to my account and it's been a few months since I replied their email with my choice
JALPak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread