Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL charged for the same ticket multiple times

Old May 3, 2018, 8:01 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

Apparently there's an issue on JAL website and JAL is posting charges from the same ticket purchase multiple times. JAL agent claims they have fixed the problem but then also told me they are still investigating my multiple charges and cannot guarantee they won't post for the 4th time. So if you have purchased a ticket from JAL website recently, check your credit card statement/account.

Below is the timeline
4/24 Purchased ticket via JAL website
4/28 Credit card account shows 2 posted charges from JAL with the same amount. Transaction date is 4/24
4/28 Called credit card and JAL. JAL said they will get back to me, most likely on Monday 4/30
4/30 No call from JAL
5/3 JAL charged me for the THIRD time for the same ticket but this time the transaction date is 4/26. Called JAL and they are still investigating and requested for more info from me (they could have called me after I filed the first complaint)
Old May 3, 2018, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Got a reply from JAL and they are blaming the GDS partner. This affects purchased made over the phone as well
Old May 4, 2018, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Finally a notice on JAL website but did they get it right? The date is off and the number of times I got charged is off too LOL
Tickets purchased on 24APR or 25APR* by To customers who purchased tickets on April 24 or 25* by credit card through the JAL website or reservation centercredit card on JAL website or Reservation call center

To customers who purchased tickets on April 24 or 25* by credit card through the JAL website or reservation center

Due to system malfunction, tickets purchased on April 24 or 25* by credit card through either JAL website or reservation center may have been credited twice.
Japan Airlines is currently correcting the data and is estimated to be completed within the next few days.
If you have encountered any trouble related to this matter, please contact Japan Airlines reservation center. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

*April 24 - Tickets purchased in Australia, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan
April 25 - Tickets purchased in Europe, U.S.A., Russia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam
Old May 5, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
It's JAL's triple FOP bonus campaign.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
It's JAL's triple FOP bonus campaign.
more like 1/3 FOP campaign. You pay triple the amount but get the same FOPs

FYI, JAL has updated the web notice with the correct date and info now. And even airport purchases made on 4/24 are affected.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I take it that all that is required is a call / webform / email to your card issuer (bank) and duplicate charges are reversed relatively instantly. Waiting for the merchant vendor, air carrier here, to act, takes wasted time on the phone and waiting afterwards.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I take it that all that is required is a call / webform / email to your card issuer (bank) and duplicate charges are reversed relatively instantly. Waiting for the merchant vendor, air carrier here, to act, takes wasted time on the phone and waiting afterwards.
nope, stupid Amex didn’t do it and claims it will take up to 8 weeks to reverse even though the transaction details have the exact eticket number, passenger name and itinerary. They told me it will be quicker to deal with the merchant
Old May 5, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak

nope, stupid Amex didn’t do it and claims it will take up to 8 weeks to reverse even though the transaction details have the exact eticket number, passenger name and itinerary. They told me it will be quicker to deal with the merchant
seems like sth fishy is going on
Old May 5, 2018, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Ask for a superviaor. Amex will post a temporary credit which does not hit your CL or accrue interest within one business day if it accepts a dispute. If the dispute is denied, all bets are off.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:51 am
Original Poster

JAL credited the money back just now.
kaka likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:29 am
Original Poster

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/180410.html

JAL posted duplicate charges for inflight purchases made in Mar LOL what’s up with all these duplicate charges they have recently?
Old May 13, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I was one of the affected ones and only had 1 duplicate charge. My booking was done online via JAL website. Charges was reversed by JAL but due to the foreign exchange rate, I wasn't refunded fully. Requested JAL to cover the loss in forex charges as well. Pending reply.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I was one of the affected ones and only had 1 duplicate charge. My booking was done online via JAL website. Charges was reversed by JAL but due to the foreign exchange rate, I wasn't refunded fully. Requested JAL to cover the loss in forex charges as well. Pending reply.
I actually got a more favorable exchange rate saved me $2 lol if JL doesn’t cover the difference, you can always dispute it with your card

Old May 16, 2018, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Just got an email from JL regarding this. They even offered compensation, and I didn't even ask for it.

Funny that they are offering either Amazon gift cards or JMB miles. So no JAL Coupon this time? And it's a much more generous offer/mile to cash conversion rate compared to the IFE malfunction. Last time was either JPY3,000 JAL Coupon or 3,000 miles. This time it's 5,000 miles or $50 Amazon gift card. Not sure if my amount is higher than others because of them tripling charging me for transpacific business class. Others only have been double charged
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Just got an email from JL regarding this. They even offered compensation, and I didn't even ask for it.

Funny that they are offering either Amazon gift cards or JMB miles. So no JAL Coupon this time? And it's a much more generous offer/mile to cash conversion rate compared to the IFE malfunction. Last time was either JPY3,000 JAL Coupon or 3,000 miles. This time it's 5,000 miles or $50 Amazon gift card. Not sure if my amount is higher than others because of them tripling charging me for transpacific business class. Others only have been double charged
They still have not credited the 5,000 miles to my account and it's been a few months since I replied their email with my choice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.