JAL domestic carry on

Old Apr 4, 18, 8:06 am
Original Poster

JAL domestic carry on

Hi there,
I am packing for an upcoming flight to Japan, where I will do a domestic flight with JAL as well.

The JAL information ( https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/baggage/inflight/ ) mentions it's possible to bring on a smaller personal bag and then the carry on bag. I can only find the size of the carry on though. I carry a camera bag for my DSLR camera (around 18 x 13 x 10 cm). Not sure if that is too big or if it would be counted as this extra personal "bag"?

It fits into my carry on bag but it might get a bit bulky, in case the overhead space is too narrow.
Old Apr 4, 18, 8:12 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, DL Gold
Originally Posted by fannys View Post
Hi there,
I am packing for an upcoming flight to Japan, where I will do a domestic flight with JAL as well.

The JAL information ( https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/baggage/inflight/ ) mentions it's possible to bring on a smaller personal bag and then the carry on bag. I can only find the size of the carry on though. I carry a camera bag for my DSLR camera (around 18 x 13 x 10 cm). Not sure if that is too big or if it would be counted as this extra personal "bag"?

It fits into my carry on bag but it might get a bit bulky, in case the overhead space is too narrow.
If your aircraft is 737 or larger one, don't mind. CAs accommodate your luggage somewhere.
Practically, you can bring two or more bags.
Old Apr 4, 18, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
If your aircraft is 737 or larger one, don't mind. CAs accommodate your luggage somewhere.
Practically, you can bring two or more bags.
Is that so? Sounds like it might get full of people bring on many bags.

I remember when flying a Finnair ATR, I had to take out the DSLR bag as it would not fit overhead otherwise. The JAL B787 was no problem though, very spacious. But I know it will be no ATR in Japan this time.
Old Apr 4, 18, 9:16 pm

Basically, no problem. Sometimes, I carry one 50cm roller and a 45cmx30cmx20cm PC bag, and a paper bag purchased from a shop after security.

I remember when flying a Finnair ATR, I had to take out the DSLR bag as it would not fit overhead otherwise. The JAL B787 was no problem though, very spacious. But I know it will be no ATR in Japan this time.
Yes, you are right. "JAL" has no small aircraft.

FYI
Domestic aircraft and seat configurations - JAL Domestic Flights
Old Apr 4, 18, 10:07 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

JAL does operate ATRs on domestic flights, but you need to go pretty far out in the corners of the network to get on them.

Generally, carry on is not a big issue on domestic flights in Japan, so they don't check too much at the gate. I was on a fully booked E170 the other day, and not problem with getting all the carry on stowed. Since luggage is included in the ticket, delivery is fast and stable at arrival, people rarely carry huge bags on board like in so many other countries.
Old Apr 5, 18, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
Basically, no problem. Sometimes, I carry one 50cm roller and a 45cmx30cmx20cm PC bag, and a paper bag purchased from a shop after security.

Yes, you are right. "JAL" has no small aircraft.

FYI
Domestic aircraft and seat configurations - JAL Domestic Flights
Wow that's one big PC bag. I measured my backpack to about 47 x 36 x 21-28 cm (the thickness depending on how much extra clothes I bring onboard.

Actually I would carry less onboard but in case my luggage is lost I want to avoid spending days of finding new clothes and so on.
Old Apr 5, 18, 2:13 am

Recently, I flew ITM-TJH operated by SAAB340B(36 passengers).
Ordinary 50cm roller isn't permitted as a carry-on.
At gate area, gate agent was looking for large bags before start of boarding, and asked people to check in their bags.
The agent accepted bags and issued claim tags.
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I went by small JAC aircraft Dash Q400 from KOJ to KUM once. But then I only carried a small plastic bag with the most nessicary items including camera. I had been warned before about size limitations.

At my local airport there are commercial aircraft smaller than that occupying perhaps 15-20 Pax.