Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Does my ticket violate cabotage rules? [HNL-KOA-NRT//KIX-HNL]

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Mar. 26 HNL-KOA by Hawaiian Airline
KOA-NRT by JAL

Apr.4 KIX-HNL by JAL
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Nope. If it violated cabotage you wouldn't be able to buy it.

Cabotage rules are more for the airline to worry about when selling tickets. It's not for a passenger to worry about when buying a ticket.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I purchased it on 3rd website (Justfly.com). When Iog in JAL website to check this ticket and it says "Indicate cabotage violation". I am afraid JAL would deny my boarding in KOA

Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
How is this Cabotage?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Cabotage generally refers to an airline's right to operate domestic flights in a third country, as far as I understand it, but am no expert. Either way in this case you're flying a domestic flight within the US on a US airline, thereafter an international flight from the US to Japan on a Japanese airline, followed by another domestic flight within Japan on a Japanese airline. There is no cabotage.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Lost
Generally true but there have been instances where tickets could be purchased that violated cabotage, so it's not an absolute guarantee. In any case though, there isn't any cabotage here based on the OP's information.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @yuheng.

Please follow the redirect as we send this to the JL forum, as this is where your concern arises.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Is this a booking with less than 24 hours in Japan?
or a legal return ticket with more than 24 hours in Japan?

if the former, negotiate to cancel for free otherwise JAL will deny you boarding at kona.
if the latter, call JAL to enquire about the odd message.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'm pretty sure there is more than 24 hours between arriving on March 27th (departing HNL on March 26th) & departing on April 4th.

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Is this a booking with less than 24 hours in Japan?
or a legal return ticket with more than 24 hours in Japan?

if the former, negotiate to cancel for free otherwise JAL will deny you boarding at kona.
if the latter, call JAL to enquire about the odd message.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Then do as I advised and clear it up in advance!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Seems like JAL's website could be oversensitive to these kinds of bookings.

I was referred to an article saying the US DOT fined Asiana for cabotage violations on Guam/Saipan-Seoul-US Mainland routes in another thread, so I'm guessing the system avoids anything that could be remotely considered a violation based on origin/stopover/destination cities, regardless of actual travel dates.

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Cabotage generally refers to an airline's right to operate domestic flights in a third country, as far as I understand it, but am no expert. Either way in this case you're flying a domestic flight within the US on a US airline, thereafter an international flight from the US to Japan on a Japanese airline, followed by another domestic flight within Japan on a Japanese airline. There is no cabotage.
OP is flying Honolulu-Kona-Tokyo (overland?) Osaka-Honolulu, so JAL carrying the OP from Kona to Honolulu via Japan is potentially a violation going by the Asiana incident.

The "modified sixth freedom" refers to the right to carry passengers between two points in country A through a hub in country B; for instance, a Boston-Toronto-Seattle itinerary. Such services are currently considered to constitute cabotage and are not permitted.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
Seems like JAL's website could be oversensitive to these kinds of bookings.

I was referred to an article saying the US DOT fined Asiana for cabotage violations on Guam/Saipan-Seoul-US Mainland routes in another thread, so I'm guessing the system avoids anything that could be remotely considered a violation based on origin/stopover/destination cities, regardless of actual travel dates.

OP is flying Honolulu-Kona-Tokyo (overland?) Osaka-Honolulu, so JAL carrying the OP from Kona to Honolulu via Japan is potentially a violation going by the Asiana incident.

The "modified sixth freedom" refers to the right to carry passengers between two points in country A through a hub in country B; for instance, a Boston-Toronto-Seattle itinerary. Such services are currently considered to constitute cabotage and are not permitted.
Given the dates shared by OP JAL is not carrying anyone KOA-HNL. It is KOA-NRT, which is the fare breakpoint with a 1-week stop, then KIX-HNL.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Lost

Cabotage rules are more for the airline to worry about when selling tickets. It's not for a passenger to worry about when buying a ticket.
This is not a good way to look at it. While violation of so-called cabotage rules is an air carrier issue, it is the passenger who bears the immediate brunt of the violation because it is a violation of law to permit the passenger to board.. Unlike other violations, this can't simply be waived by the carrier just because it made an error.

In this case, it is unclear that JL has identified a US DOT issue. Perhaps it is Japan or Korea? Particularly if the third-party opaque website used some odd hidden-city ticketing to create a cheap fare.

Best to call JL immediately and ask what the specific problem is. Once you know what the issue is, then please post and let us know.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Given the dates shared by OP JAL is not carrying anyone KOA-HNL. It is KOA-NRT, which is the fare breakpoint with a 1-week stop, then KIX-HNL.
I understand there's a break in between the two segments from what the OP stated, but JAL's website seems to ignore that fact and treats it as a KOA-HNL via Japan on one ticket.
I tried to get a quote on a HNL-NRT-BOS itinerary with 2 weeks in Japan and the website wouldn't let me, citing cabotage.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Who knows how the ticket vendor actually ticketed this.

Call JL, find out what the problem is and then have the TA fix it if it is a problem. If not, ask JL to correct the note.

Ordinarily I would suggest starting with the TA, but in this case it is better to be armed with an understanding of the problem.

Last edited by Often1; Mar 10, 2018 at 9:35 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.