Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

New Chefs for JAL ex-Japan F meals from March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chefs for JAL ex-Japan F meals from March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:16 pm

Reporting back.

Tried most of the Ishikawa menu + Blue Lobster from the International menu. All were sensational. Especially one of the Ishikawa desserts with Hokkaido melon. Sublime.

Is there any other airline that has food as refined and elegant as JL's? QR's food is generally pretty good, but not as refined.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Mar 21, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Reporting back.

Tried most of the Ishikawa menu + Blue Lobster from the International menu. All were sensational. Especially one of the Ishikawa desserts with Hokkaido melon. Sublime.

Is there any other airline that has food as refined and elegant as JL's? QR's food is generally pretty good, but not as refined.
Reported to be same levels on Air France first class. I have seen pictures, but not tried it. But it does look to be up at the same levels.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:20 pm

Also I thought it was a little odd that there was no snack area on my NRT-ORD flight. I don't mind since there was so much to eat during the flight, but I missed the presence of various Japanese crackers and snacks. There were some origami and cards instead where the snacks should have been located.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Also I thought it was a little odd that there was no snack area on my NRT-ORD flight. I don't mind since there was so much to eat during the flight, but I missed the presence of various Japanese crackers and snacks. There were some origami and cards instead where the snacks should have been located.
They don't always set them up, rather just the decorations. If you ask, they have plenty.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:26 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They don't always set them up, rather just the decorations. If you ask, they have plenty.
that's just a photo spot for me
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:17 pm

Highlights from my Ishikawa & Kohaku meal onboard! I also tried the Blue Lobster and Western dessert.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29559747-post7.html

Not pictured but also consumed: the steamed rice with Wagyu beef loin & radish; miso soup with nameko mushroom, fried bean curd & mitsuba (Ishikawa); and soy-marinated yam, soy-simmered kelp, pickled cucumber (Ishikawa) and a la carte snacks.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Highlights from my Ishikawa & Kohaku meal onboard! I also tried the Blue Lobster and Western dessert.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29559747-post7.html

Not pictured: the Steamed rice with Wagyu beef loin & radish (usually Chef Ishikawa comes out and mixes the rice in front of the guests but he was nowhere to be found on the plane); miso soup with nameko mushroom, fried bean curd & mitsuba (Ishikawa); and soy-marinated yam, soy-simmered kelp, pickled cucumber (Ishikawa) and a la carte snacks.
I guess he was too busy at the restaurant to be around for your flight

Was making reference to when you eat at the restaurant.

Great pictures.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:49 pm

I guess he was too busy at the restaurant to be around for your flight

Was making reference to when you eat at the restaurant.

Great pictures.
Clearly Chef Ishikawa has his priorities backwards.

Are some of the First class snacks shared with the Business class snacks? I just noticed that J also has the beef curry and udon dishes. How could they?!
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
LH F is pretty good as well, though I'd place it a step below JL. Excellent quality, but JL's plating and selection is a tad better.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pWei
LH F is pretty good as well, though I'd place it a step below JL. Excellent quality, but JL's plating and selection is a tad better.
I find Luftansa's Japanese meals very disappointing even originating in Japan. But otherwise their first class meal are really good .
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reported to be same levels on Air France first class. I have seen pictures, but not tried it. But it does look to be up at the same levels.
I did JFK-NRT and CDG-JFK about 2 months apart a year ago.
Was a little bummed not to get the ex-NRT catering, but oh well.
It’s hard to directly compare western cuisine with Japanese/kaiseki-type, though I did have some western food on JAL. On board I would give a slight nod to JAL, but the food in the AF lounge in CDG is incomparable so all-in I’d probably slightly prefer AF if I was, say, flying CDG-TYO or vv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.