Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Award ticket change fee from Prem Econ to Bus/First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

I need some advise, I booked a award flight from JFK - HND on Jun 23 with Prem Econ.

But the Business / First now is waiting list.

Now I have enough SPG enough to transfer to JAL to get Business/First. I want to be on this specific flight, but I want to see if the seat opens up in Bus/First.

So what option do I have? Can I be on waiting list on Bus/First and keeping the Prem Econ?

Or I have to give up my Prem Econ seat now by cancelling it and put myself in Bus/First waiting list?

Because it seems they have more seats available a few weeks out from Jun 23.

If Bus/First opens up, what process I need to do? Can I pay the differences in point / fee or I need to cancel the prem econ first and rebook it? How fast can the point re-deposit?

Thank you
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I believe you can keep ur pe seat whilst waiting for C seat if you want to keep it under the same rez*. U cant upgrade to F unless you refund and rebook. Except until date of flight u can still upgrade to next class using miles (not F, which u need to cancel n rebook)

If you refund and rebook, then can refund you instantly and book you in so dont have any “down time”.

* i last waitlisted a ticketed booking before all the changes so im not sure. But rebooking was a “new” experience so that should still work.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
@toni8284......Do you have a ticket on premium economy, and you are waitlisted to upgrade that ticket to business class using miles, miles that you don't currently have and plan to get via a SPG transfer?
Or, do you have a ticket on premium economy, but you want to book another ticket as an award ticket in business class using miles (and you are waitlisted, while still planning to do a SPG transfer)?
If the former, see the link here for the upgrade rules and conditions.
Economy Class/Premium Economy Class > Business Class: Booking Class W*/E*/Y/B*/H*/K*
Note that you will need the miles in your account if the upgrade clears, otherwise you lose it. So, you cant get the award to clear and then do the SPG transfer, since the SPG points transfer is not instanteneous and takes a week or so. Tough decision here.

If the later, well, go ahead and waitlist! Same issue with transfer of SPG points though.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

I do have a ticket on Premium Economy (used SPG points transfered to JAL and booked as an award ticket 32500 miles).

Now I want to upgrade to Business/First as award ticket 50000 miles / 75000 miles I think.

I did NOT pay for my Premium Economy.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by toni8284
I need some advise, I booked a award flight from JFK - HND on Jun 23 with Prem Econ.

But the Business / First now is waiting list.

Now I have enough SPG enough to transfer to JAL to get Business/First. I want to be on this specific flight, but I want to see if the seat opens up in Bus/First.

So what option do I have? Can I be on waiting list on Bus/First and keeping the Prem Econ?
You can't. The rule says if you have a confirmed reservation, you can't have another flight on a waitlist.
For example, if you have 23Jun2018 HND-SIN, you can't waitlist for 24Jun2018 HND-SIN, nor a different class of the same 23Jun2018 flight.

Or I have to give up my Prem Econ seat now by cancelling it and put myself in Bus/First waiting list?
Yes.

If Bus/First opens up, what process I need to do? Can I pay the differences in point / fee or I need to cancel the prem econ first and rebook it? How fast can the point re-deposit?
Refund and, reissue.
However, during transferring points from SPG to JMB, an availability may be gone.

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; Feb 20, 2018 at 6:29 am
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:54 am

I don't think you can waitlist, but if it opens up, you can make a class change by phone paying the miles difference plus a handling fee.
If you do it on the day of your flight at the airport you don't have to pay the handling fee.
Not sure if anything changed with the new system though.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by jgchiker
I don't think you can waitlist, but if it opens up, you can make a class change by phone paying the miles difference plus a handling fee.
Yes, you are right. However, OP has to transfer SPG points to JMB.
So, there is a chance that opened award inventory is gone before transfer completes.

If you do it on the day of your flight at the airport you don't have to pay the handling fee.
Not sure if anything changed with the new system though.
Yes. you can upgrade your award to business at the airport. However, again, OP has to trasnfer SPG points to JMB.
So, it is impossible at the airport unless SPG to JMB takes only a few minutes.
Tokyoite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.