FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   booking code question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1891532-booking-code-question.html)

saaveraward Jan 31, 2018 12:45 pm

booking code question

I've used AA miles for a first ticket on JL and it shows I'm booked in to Z class. Z class seems to translate to discount business. Is this correct as I want to save a search for an alternate flight on EF? Thanks

JALPak Jan 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Z is F award inventory.

saaveraward Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm

Thank you.

Is JL fairly new to expert flyer? I seem to remember a time when you could not save a search. I was surprised it took my request.

CPH-Flyer Jan 31, 2018 3:29 pm

Z is business saver for Star Alliance, that is probably the mix up somewhere in your translation. :)

JALPak Jan 31, 2018 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29363825)
Z is business saver for Star Alliance, that is probably the mix up somewhere in your translation. :)

AA uses Z class for something else too IIRC

saaveraward Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm

Expert flyer says Z is business, thus the original question.

CPH-Flyer Jan 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29363897)
AA uses Z class for something else too IIRC

The times I redeemed AA first (TPAC flights) it was booked in Z. Though a couple of years ago.

JALPak Jan 31, 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29363944)
The times I redeemed AA first (TPAC flights) it was booked in Z. Though a couple of years ago.

Maybe it's just they had problem displaying one of the redemption class with the correct class of service on its website?

CPH-Flyer Jan 31, 2018 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward (Post 29363907)
Expert flyer says Z is business, thus the original question.

I guess Expertflyer is more influenced by Star Alliance.

The problem is that very few of the letters are uniform across airlines. W is premium economy on OneWorld, and heavily discounted economy class on Star Alliance. But even within alliances there are different applications, P is discounted business class on Lufthansa but discounted first class on Thai.

CPH-Flyer Jan 31, 2018 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29364001)
Maybe it's just they had problem displaying one of the redemption class with the correct class of service on its website?

It was printed as booking class on the boarding pass as well.

jgchiker Feb 1, 2018 4:11 pm

This thread should be moved to AA.

saaveraward Feb 1, 2018 4:14 pm

No, it should not. I asked about booking codes on JL only and why my res shows Z for first but expert flyer shows Z as discount business so I asked for clarification. Ticket stock is immaterial. The forum here was very helpful.

KVS Feb 1, 2018 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward (Post 29363130)
I've used AA miles for a first ticket on JL and it shows I'm booked in to Z class. Z class seems to translate to discount business. Is this correct as I want to save a search for an alternate flight on EF? Thanks

Your booking is correct. You can find an accurate list of JL Award Booking Classes in the OneWorld section of the KVS Tool User Guide (which actually supports it).

sergad Feb 2, 2018 5:42 pm

I am confused by this thread. I am an expert flyer member trying to set up an alert on a JAL flight for first class. Is this possible? The expert flyer shows first class booking classes of A, F and P.

CPH-Flyer Feb 2, 2018 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by sergad (Post 29373380)
I am confused by this thread. I am an expert flyer member trying to set up an alert on a JAL flight for first class. Is this possible? The expert flyer shows first class booking classes of A, F and P.

Assuming you want to sets up an alert for an award seat on JAL, you have to watch out for for booking class Z. Whether you can do that on EF I don't know.