Wiki Posts
Search

Abandoned at NRT on Monday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Abandoned at NRT on Monday

Was in NRT when "snowmaggedon" happened. We sat in the plane for over 4 hours. Then NRT closed and the flight was canceled. On the way out of the plane we were given a sheet of paper and told to contact JAL. As I was flying JAL metal on an AA ticket, I called AA immediately and got booked on an AA flight the next evening. I"m not familiar with contract of carriage on JAL, but I was wondering if I was entitled to any form of compensation? One other thing, we were initially delayed due to incoming aircraft being late, had we gone off on scheduled time, we would of made it out of NRT. Does that matter?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:48 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by tomj888
Was in NRT when "snowmaggedon" happened. We sat in the plane for over 4 hours. Then NRT closed and the flight was canceled. On the way out of the plane we were given a sheet of paper and told to contact JAL. As I was flying JAL metal on an AA ticket, I called AA immediately and got booked on an AA flight the next evening. I"m not familiar with contract of carriage on JAL, but I was wondering if I was entitled to any form of compensation? One other thing, we were initially delayed due to incoming aircraft being late, had we gone off on scheduled time, we would of made it out of NRT. Does that matter?
No compensation as this is weather related. File a claim with your insurance company instead.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
please let me know which airline would compensate, i would give them quite a bit of business to game the system.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:34 am

Were you on JL8? I was in the lounge, watching your plane. Pushback tug hooks up. Final Boarding called. Jetbridge retracted. Watching, watching, watching. I was waiting for JL4 to JFK. I ended up rebooked on JL10 to ORD on Tuesday.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by kaka
please let me know which airline would compensate, i would give them quite a bit of business to game the system.
None that I'm aware of will... partially for this very reason. But, that's what travel insurance is for, either as a separate policy or through a credit card policy.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
"Abandoned at NRT on Monday" ...Who abandoned you? JAL? It is weather, and sorry to tell you that they (JAL) neither control the weather nor airport, so there is nothing more to do. Feel lucky that at the very least least you got a rebook the next day. Your insurance should cover any incidental costs such as hotel for the night.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
"Your insurance should cover any incidental costs such as hotel for the night.
* If you can find one...

Airport hotels were sold out. Trains and buses were disrupted (last one was around 11:20pm anyways- public transport from narita late night sucks even without weather delay)

Airport offered free shuttles to Tokyo station starting 1am. I got on the second bus, got to Tokyo station around 3am, then taxi to hotel around 3:30

​​​​​​snow again this friday

(Related threads)
1/22 NRT Snow Delays

Narita airport mess 1/22/18
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by kaka
BA, or any EU carrier within EU would pay for hotel, food, and taxi, as required by EU261 Regulation - I had a blast during december snow in at LHR, booked myself into a presidential suite and had more drinks then I should have had
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
BA, or any EU carrier within EU would pay for hotel, food, and taxi, as required by EU261 Regulation - I had a blast during december snow in at LHR, booked myself into a presidential suite and had more drinks then I should have had
then fly them not jl or cx. U get ow status miles eitgerway
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'd be surprised if BA covered all of a presidential suite. The rules are not a carte blanche for all spends. Reasonable expenses are covered by the rules. But if they did, kudos for getting them to cough up for that.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I'd be surprised if BA covered all of a presidential suite. The rules are not a carte blanche for all spends. Reasonable expenses are covered by the rules. But if they did, kudos for getting them to cough up for that.
I got a good price, booked a normal room, knew what BA budget I can push for and approached the front desk saying I have this budget for a room and am willing to basically give them all of it provided they give the the presidential suite, it was 9pm and nobody was gonna book it, so they obliged
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I got a good price, booked a normal room, knew what BA budget I can push for and approached the front desk saying I have this budget for a room and am willing to basically give them all of it provided they give the the presidential suite, it was 9pm and nobody was gonna book it, so they obliged
Asking and negotiating are special skills unique to each person. Sounds like you're blessed with a good share of it. Kudos to you. ^^

I didn't quite follow the part I have in bold in your quote above, though. It's not important to the thread so you don't have to address it. We can just leave it at "good job"!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: JL JML, Delta Plat, CA Plat, CZ Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton DM
Like all mentioned above, the delay caused by weather won't actually bring you any compensation. I would suggest you contact the airline ground agent and ask some kind of meal vouchers or even hotel stays, but YMMV...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.