Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JFK lounge service switched from AF to LH (except for PY pax)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

As of today (16 Jan'18):

Notice: Change of Lounge Service at John F. Kennedy International Airport (New York) - JAL International Flights
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
So no shower for C and Sapphire passengers but it will be available to F, Emerald, and eligible PY/Y passengers?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Yes, unfortunately. Unless, the C/Saphire passengers can negotiate to use the Airfrance lounge...
I'm confident JAL will revise this after some serious complaints in the next few months.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It is going to be a vast improvement as ounge options for most passengers. The AF lounge is pretty dire. The shower is not that much of a loss, I would not want to use the AF shower facility again.
SKT-DK and BOStonTravels like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It is going to be a vast improvement as ounge options for most passengers. The AF lounge is pretty dire. The shower is not that much of a loss, I would not want to use the AF shower facility again.
Agree. AF lounge is far from great. But the shower is important for me and others before a long flight to Tokyo.
I prefer AF lounge with shower than good lounge with NO shower.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by LandMiler
Agree. AF lounge is far from great. But the shower is important for me and others before a long flight to Tokyo.
I prefer AF lounge with shower than good lounge with NO shower.
Did you use the shower in the AF lounge? Do they even clean it between guests? While I appreciate a shower between long haul flights, this is one lounge where I would skip it.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Did you use the shower in the AF lounge? Do they even clean it between guests? While I appreciate a shower between long haul flights, this is one lounge where I would skip it.
Yes. I did use it in a couple of years ago! I remember shampoo bottles on the wall were all broken. Still better than nothing.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:21 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by cyborg
Charts on the JAL Website for the JFL lounge access page show business class has access to both LH business lounge and AF lounge. The "Change of Lounge Service" notice linked makes the matter a bit confusing. Any idea which is correct?

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/lounge/jfk/

There is no information about JAL access on the LH site, so no way to determine if JAL F gets access to the "Wine and Dine" section upstairs. I suspect not, but would like to know if anyone has the chance to check it out.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
beaides the nespresso machine the AF lounge is a real dump, the showers gross. Not sure what AF was thinking when they redid the lounge a few years ago considering how beautiful La Premiere is at CDG. Shame!

The LH lounge is an upgrade. I am familiar with it operating as an LH lounge, unsure how it will be when JAL uses (in terms of catering, etc). The business lounge on the bottom floor is ok but upstairs Senator Lounge (star gold and LH Senator card holders) is really decent. That will be a lot of space for JAL first and OWE. The top floor is reserved for LH First and used to have a beautiful spread when it was catered by Do and Co. I am curious if this section would be open (and catered) for JAL first passengers.

Last edited by BOStonTravels; Jan 17, 2018 at 3:20 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:46 am

Also wondering of the LH First Class Wining and Dining will be available to JL F pax. Of course, doubt it's open during the JAL JFK departures window.

Last edited by MattEvan; Jan 17, 2018 at 9:52 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:32 am

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:21 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Charts on the JAL Website for the JFL lounge access page show business class has access to both LH business lounge and AF lounge. The "Change of Lounge Service" notice linked makes the matter a bit confusing. Any idea which is correct?
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/service/lounge/jfk/

There is no information about JAL access on the LH site, so no way to determine if JAL F gets access to the "Wine and Dine" section upstairs. I suspect not, but would like to know if anyone has the chance to check it out.

Cheers,

-Cyborg

The Lufthansa website shows the Senator Lounge opening at Noon while the JAL notice has it opening at 0730. I wonder if JAL will be using a different contract staff and catering arrangement than LH in the afternoon/evening. Perhaps this is how they are able to use this *A member's lounge in one of their prime international locations.

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Good catch on the difference in access rules. I would expect that AF would still permit JL J and F pax access (though perhaps not to the F level), and that LH would not permit JL access to their First Class Lounge.

Mrs. D reports today that she prefers the LH Senator Lounge to the AF second level. No frills, "German kind of bread," not sure if that is a plus.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I like T4, but would be nice to move over to T8 and use AA's Flagship Lounge (with showers), along with the Flagship Dining Option as CX currently does.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:16 am

Any update if F passengers can use the F wine and dine? I used it a few years ago as LH F passenger and it was great. Although it is small (and private) there is also a back stairwell to take you down to the senator floor which is also where the bathrooms are.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:36 am

deleted
Gino Troian likes this.

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:32 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.