Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JFK lounge service switched from AF to LH (except for PY pax)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK lounge service switched from AF to LH (except for PY pax)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by knit-in
If you'll have the time check them both out. Let us know your what you thought of each.
Will do.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sambagrrl07

Would you mind sharing why? I am looking for better food, power outlets, and quiet. I don’t care about a shower at JFK.
They're very close to each other so as Knit-in suggested, easy to check both of them out. About 2 or 3 gates apart with the LH one right there as you clear security and then the AF one down the right side concourse. Easiest thing may be to pop into the LH one as you go by and then go to the AF one and then you can settle in wherever you want.

As I recall, the AF food selection varies based on time of day. It's better during the AF departures which start in the afternoon and go through the evening. They clear a lot of the better stuff when it reverts to a PP lounge around 10pm which is when the KE crowd shows up. I did not go over there in the morning so can't speak to the morning spread. I will say that its very crowded in the early evening during peak AF departures. Which is also why they close off access to PP members during those hours.

I also recall outlets not being that plentiful at AF.

For your priorities of quiet and outlets, the LH lounge may be a better choice. The LH lounge has usually been the quieter of the two but that may be b/c I'm in the LH lounge in the morning and the AF lounge in the afternoon. I certainly found the food adequate in the Senator lounge for the JAL morning departure to Narita.

I'm indifferent between the two. I find it surprising that people have such strong feelings for one vs the other. I can understand dinging the KE lounge.

Give them both a shot.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks, th14. I will!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
Do passengers flying F on JAL still have access to the AA flagship lounge in Terminal 8?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by zhaofa90
Do passengers flying F on JAL still have access to the AA flagship lounge in Terminal 8?
If you arrive in F a d have a short haul connection the same day yes, or long-haul in J. If you arrive on a domestic flight (or pre cleared flight) in to T8 I would guess so.

If you purely depart from JFK, even if you could, would you really want to go through JFK security twice just for a lounge visit? There is no airside connection between terminals in JFK. I don't know if TSA allows access to any terminal with a boarding pass. But I would not want to spend the time for a not needed terminal change.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:08 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you arrive in F a d have a short haul connection the same day yes, or long-haul in J. If you arrive on a domestic flight (or pre cleared flight) in to T8 I would guess so.

If you purely depart from JFK, even if you could, would you really want to go through JFK security twice just for a lounge visit? There is no airside connection between terminals in JFK. I don't know if TSA allows access to any terminal with a boarding pass. But I would not want to spend the time for a not needed terminal change.
The AA flagship lounge at JFK isn't really worth all these trouble. It's definitely a great improvement over the previous options but it's just a small buffet with lots of people in it LOL or if you know the hidden part of the lounge, there's a small menu with very relaxing atmosphere but still not worth it IMHO
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:14 pm

Arriving in T8 from latam, can i use the lounge for 1 hour before connecting to jl flight to narita? I would need to recheck baggage again
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by tboons
Arriving in T8 from latam, can i use the lounge for 1 hour before connecting to jl flight to narita? I would need to recheck baggage again
When arriving on LATAM in T8 you will be directed to immigration and customs, once you clear customs you should recheck your bags in T8. There are special counters for this just when you exit from customs, look for the signs. Then proceed to T1 for the JAL flight, and based on the class of your JL flight you can use the lounges here.

You could (not entirely sure if that is your question) use the AA lounges in T8. But as there is no airside connection, it would require you to clear security in T8, exit and then reclear security in T1. Not really worth it if you ask me
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You could (not entirely sure if that is your question) use the AA lounges in T8. But as there is no airside connection, it would require you to clear security in T8, exit and then reclear security in T1. Not really worth it if you ask me
Also at the mercy of the line minders/TSA to let you in a different terminal that your ticketed departure. That's been a difficulty in the past at JFK.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:43 pm

With a 3 hours connection,it looks abut tight. Will just stay at the LH or AF lounge.

AF lounge for the shower and LH lounge for breakfast spread?

OWE here.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tboons
With a 3 hours connection,it looks abut tight. Will just stay at the LH or AF lounge.

AF lounge for the shower and LH lounge for breakfast spread?

OWE here.
LH Senator lounge for every aspect comparing the two.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
I did the Lufthansa lounge this spring and besides the beer, there was not much good about it. It says a lot about a spread when people look at it, trying to see if something looks interesting enough to eat, and then walk off. It seemed very much like a continental breakfast at a budget hotel. Especially when you compare it to drinking champagne and eating croissants with smoked salmon in the Air France lounge.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCBunny
I did the Lufthansa lounge this spring and besides the beer, there was not much good about it. It says a lot about a spread when people look at it, trying to see if something looks interesting enough to eat, and then walk off. It seemed very much like a continental breakfast at a budget hotel. Especially when you compare it to drinking champagne and eating croissants with smoked salmon in the Air France lounge.
I guess the Air France spread is a lot better for their own departures? There has been no champagne, and nothing worth touching on the buffet the times I have been there with JAL. Sounds quite similar to what you describe.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Maybe there's something different for the afternoon departures? I've always taken the morning flight. Granted, I haven't used it this year because in Spring they were directing everyone to use Lufthansa. I have a flight out in December and will use AF. I'll report back what I see.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:59 am

Read that LH only has 1 shower booth and its gross...

Any comments? Long flight on latam so really appreciate a shower before another long flight on JL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.