Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Couple of questions on Y->PY airport upgrades

Old Jan 9, 18, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Same as location

We're flying JFK-NRT-HKG on JL, booked in Y as AA codeshare. We're arriving in JFK on an AA flight. Both flights look wide open in premium economy.

I read about the opportunity to upgrade to PY at the airport (JAL - Upgrading to Premium Economy Class at the airport). Normally I'd consider $350 a bit steep, but for a 14 hour flight I think it may be worth it. Given that the cabin is pretty much empty, is it likely that upgrades will indeed be offered? Do I have to go to the check-in counter for this, or is it possible to do it at a transfer desk or the AF lounge airside? We currently have the 27 J-H duo seats on the 777-300, any comments on whether the upgrade would be worth it are appreciated! (never flown JL before).

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 9, 18, 9:38 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld View Post
We're flying JFK-NRT-HKG on JL, booked in Y as AA codeshare. We're arriving in JFK on an AA flight. Both flights look wide open in premium economy.

I read about the opportunity to upgrade to PY at the airport (JAL - Upgrading to Premium Economy Class at the airport). Normally I'd consider $350 a bit steep, but for a 14 hour flight I think it may be worth it. Given that the cabin is pretty much empty, is it likely that upgrades will indeed be offered? Do I have to go to the check-in counter for this, or is it possible to do it at a transfer desk or the AF lounge airside? We currently have the 27 J-H duo seats on the 777-300, any comments on whether the upgrade would be worth it are appreciated! (never flown JL before).

Thanks in advance!
Don't you need to exit the AA terminal to get to T1 at JFK?
Old Jan 9, 18, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Don't you need to exit the AA terminal to get to T1 at JFK?
Yes, there is no airside transfer, exit the terminal, take the train. So visiting the check in counter is not a problem.
Old Jan 10, 18, 1:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
You will need to do the upgrade at the check-in counter.
Note that the upgrade is per sector, so the JFK-NRT upgrade and NRT-HKG upgrade are processed and paid separately.
Also, although Both flights look wide open in premium economy, preference will be given to free upgrades for JAL elites, so you may be suprised to see that seats are gone.
Old Jan 10, 18, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Same as location
Thanks for the info! Indeed transfer is landside at JFK so it's no problem to visit a check-in counter.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: