Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

ITM TO HND only available 2 months in advance??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

I am trying to book a trip for August but I can't find any flights listed past mid march??? Is it really the case that the flights aren't loaded any further in advance or is it an IT glitch? I've tried calling JAL but I'm in a different time zone and haven't been able to reach them when they're open.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by estnet
I am trying to book a trip for August but I can't find any flights listed past mid march??? Is it really the case that the flights aren't loaded any further in advance or is it an IT glitch? I've tried calling JAL but I'm in a different time zone and haven't been able to reach them when they're open.
Domestic flights are only bookable 2 months in advance.

However, you can book the JAL Explorer Pass which lets you select the flights even more than 2 months if you already have a confirmed international booking to and fro Japan.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - I thought I was going crazy !

I was trying to book this as an extra leg on an award ticket but since I couldn't find revenue I could see why AA couldn't see any award seats. Strangely ita lists flights for further dates (but of course when I try to book they don't appear)

When I looked at the JAL pass it looks like I'd have to have a round trip on oneworld -but I may fly one way on JAL and the other on UA - so I guess that wouldn't qualify
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:14 am

Thanks - I thought I was going crazy !

I was trying to book this as an extra leg on an award ticket but since I couldn't find revenue I could see why AA couldn't see any award seats. Strangely ita lists flights for further dates (but of course when I try to book they don't appear)

When I looked at the JAL pass it looks like I'd have to have a round trip on oneworld -but I may fly one way on JAL and the other on UA - so I guess that wouldn't qualify
The JAL Explorer pass can be used on revenue or award flights regardless of alliance. You just need to have a confirmed roundtrip itinerary to/fro Japan (cause you'll need to key in the route and eticket number).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:54 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lcpteck
The JAL Explorer pass can be used on revenue or award flights regardless of alliance. You just need to have a confirmed roundtrip itinerary to/fro Japan (cause you'll need to key in the route and eticket number).
round trip fare not itinerary.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
round trip fare not itinerary.
Ah yes.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Weird that somehow I had been directed to a page that said JAL pass required one world rt ticket -thought it was strange at the time and now I can't find it. So I can book a one way ticket using the JAL pass more than 2 months ahead?
BUT what is even stranger is that I had booked an award ticket the other direction that includes a flight hnd-itm for 5 months from now. Not clear how AA did that and can't do it in the other direction 2 weeks later.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:52 pm

Weird that somehow I had been directed to a page that said JAL pass required one world rt ticket -thought it was strange at the time and now I can't find it. So I can book a one way ticket using the JAL pass more than 2 months ahead?
BUT what is even stranger is that I had booked an award ticket the other direction that includes a flight hnd-itm for 5 months from now. Not clear how AA did that and can't do it in the other direction 2 weeks later.
I'm not sure what has changed but JAL Explorer Pass works as long as you have a confirmed international ticket to/fro Japan. Yeah, the pass is for a one way, you can book up to 5 one way tickets.

If your flight includes an international segment, you can book up to 1 year in advance (or whatever is allowed). If you're booking a purely domestic flight then only 2 months ahead.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:16 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Both JAL and ANA have two types of discount tickets/passes for overseas visitors. Those for passengers arriving/departing on flights operated by their respective alliance and those available to any temporary visitor regardless of the airline used.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
2 months limitation is only for higher price tickets such as (Normal, Tokubinwari)
Relatively lower tickets (Sakitoku etc.) are sold in 6 months duration.
For tickets of 25 March 2018 to 27 October 2018 are sold from 09:30AM JST on 25 January 2018 (for ordinary customers, 11:00AM JST 23 January 2018 for JMB status members).

Response time of web site in this ticketing gets very slow.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
class J is not available on.pass to be booked in advance but can be upgraded paying 1k jpy (8 usd, penuts) on day of departure if space available. best use of 1k jpy in japan in my view
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I'm not sure what has changed but JAL Explorer Pass works as long as you have a confirmed international ticket to/fro Japan. Yeah, the pass is for a one way, you can book up to 5 one way tickets.

If your flight includes an international segment, you can book up to 1 year in advance (or whatever is allowed). If you're booking a purely domestic flight then only 2 months ahead.
Ahhh, so if I search for itm-sfo the itm-hnd show up, but not if I just look at the domestic portion - so I'll call AA again and see if they can book something (to add onto my award) so I don't have to pay separately but I'll wait a few days so the people stuck by weather can through.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
when in august are you planning to fly?
1 week mid-month of August is blackout, methinks
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
when in august are you planning to fly?
1 week mid-month of August is blackout, methinks
First week -what is going on mid month?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
obon. everyone goes off to holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.