FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   problem with my luggage allowance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1886105-problem-my-luggage-allowance.html)

pikapiu Jan 3, 2018 1:36 pm

problem with my luggage allowance

Hello, I am posting my question here because BA and JL give me different answers.

I have bought some flight with BA from Switzerland to HKG with BA and way back from ITM-HND-LHR with JL under BA flight number for 2PAX in PY. The luggage allowance shows 2 pieces of 23kg each. But as an emerald card holder (BA gold) I am allowed on the way to Asia 3 pieces of 32kg each so in total 6 luggages of 32kg. But what is my allowance with JL when going back?

Before making my reservation BA agent told me that I am allowed 6 luggages of 32kg each as it is a BA ticket under BA flight number so BA rules apply. I had some doubts.
Called JL to make sure and been told no it is 2 luggages each of 23kg only +1 piece for me as an emerald card holder. So in total 5 pieces of 23kg but website state 3 pieces of 32kg each for JMB status holder. The JL agent also told me to book Japan explorer pass fare to have the same allowance as long haul flights.
Recalled BA to make things clear but been told they do not know but should be 3 of 32kg for me and 2 of 23kg for the other PAX. Been advise to speak to a supervisor at JL call center.

So please help me,
What is my allowance when going back with JL?
Is it true that if I book intra Japan flights under the "Japan Explorer Pass" I would have to same allowance ?

Thank you very much in advance
PS: I hope I am clear enough otherwise do not hesitate to ask

LTN Phobia Jan 3, 2018 7:15 pm

BA's baggage allowance for Oneworld Emerald in Premium Economy is 32 kg x 3, and this is extended to other passengers on the same booking as yours (note, only those on the same booking as you will receive your extra allowance).

You personally would not be allowed 6 pieces of baggage - it would be 3 pieces per passenger on your booking, by the way, in case BA agent was not clear.

Baggage allowance is determined by the operating carrier of the most significant sector and since the most significant sector would be JL on the way back, I'd have thought that JL's allowance would be applicable.

Extra weight allowance for Emerald (32 kg instead of 23 kg) is very much a BA thing, and I believe the baggage allowance on JL would be 23 kg x 3 (23 kg x 2 for PE, plus 23 kg x 1 for Emerald), and the extra piece of luggage would not be applicable to the extra passenger without status, so I believe JL agent would be correct.

JMB status holders are treated differently from non-JL OW status holders so it is best not to rely on information for JMB status holders (same applies to other OW carriers' own members vs others).

Regardless of baggage allowances though, it's worth remembering that carrying 3 x 32 kg luggage + cabin baggage is not easy even on a trolley and you might like to think about the practicality (I do it very often and it is never easy, and 6 pieces of full size luggage would never fit in a standard taxi either).

pikapiu Jan 4, 2018 2:51 pm

Thank you very much for your help LTN Phobia. I also travel often with 3 x 32kg from Asia to Europe + cabin bags, I just have that much shopping every time but for the first time I wanted to change a little bit and travel with JL instead of BA on long haul.

Actually I just found something interesting on BA.com it says : If every flight in your journey has a BA code (e.g. BA1234) you will get British Airways’ checked baggage allowance, even if some or all of the flights are operated by other airlines (so-called 'codeshare' flights).

So does it means that I should receive the BA allowance as an BA Gold? I mean 3 x 32kg at least for me?

On this subject I also found this on CX website :This is an example to illustrate the difference between flights purchased on and after April 1, 2015, when the amendment to the IATA Resolution 302 came into effect.If you purchased your ticket on or after the 1 April, 2015, you would follow the policy of the marketing carrier. If the abbreviation code of your flight number is ‘CX’, we are the marketing carrier and you would follow our policy.If you purchased your ticket on and before the 31st March 2015, you would follow the policy of the operating carrier. As the flight is operated by Fiji Airways, you would follow their baggage policy.

As for the treatment from others OW carriers as an emerald status holder, I have never been treated differently as their own members for the most important parts for me (check bag allowance, advanced seat selection). But then the cases were just more simple like +20kg with CX or + 1 pieces with same max kg as other checked bags intra Asia JL flights.

thank you again ^^

Wasabi Tofu Jan 5, 2018 6:10 am

Even JAL's site says same thing.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/boarding/codeshare/

*Services at the airport and in-flight

Operating carrier of codeshare flight will provide services of both airport and in-flight.
Operating carrier's policy applies for counter hours, in-flight sevice, acceptance of infants and children, and disruption handling etc.
Basically ticket selling carrier's free baggage allowance and charges will be applied but please check with reservation or operating carrier for the details since it will depends on IATA provision, U.S. Department of Transportation and Canadian Transportation Agency order.
(Please see followings for the codeshare flight with American Airlines and WestJet.)
Bold by me.

LTN Phobia Jan 7, 2018 5:16 am

Originally Posted by pikapiu (Post 29250772)

Actually I just found something interesting on BA.com it says : If every flight in your journey has a BA code (e.g. BA1234) you will get British Airways’ checked baggage allowance, even if some or all of the flights are operated by other airlines (so-called 'codeshare' flights).

The problem here is such references do not (usually) deal with status-based extra baggage allowance. It is just dealing with normal allowances based on booking carriers.

You could risk taking extra baggage if you are prepared to pay the potential extra baggage fee (which is in fact not too bad on JL) if it turns out that the allowances are as per the lower limit, but if you would rather avoid that, then I'd really recommend keeping it within the standard JL allowance.

beckoa Jan 8, 2018 1:33 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 29260740)
The problem here is such references do not (usually) deal with status-based extra baggage allowance. It is just dealing with normal allowances based on booking carriers.
You could risk taking extra baggage if you are prepared to pay the potential extra baggage fee (which is in fact not too bad on JL) if it turns out that the allowances are as per the lower limit, but if you would rather avoid that, then I'd really recommend keeping it within the standard JL allowance.

Since BA issued the BA coded JL operated flight, could the OP get in writing a statement from BA of the proper baggage allowances? And if the checkin desk does not accept this, send BA the bill for the overcharges in luggage? Yes, it's a bit of a game of chicken, but can be worth it.

LTN Phobia Jan 11, 2018 1:11 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 29264179)
Since BA issued the BA coded JL operated flight, could the OP get in writing a statement from BA of the proper baggage allowances? And if the checkin desk does not accept this, send BA the bill for the overcharges in luggage? Yes, it's a bit of a game of chicken, but can be worth it.

That assumes such a letter would be forthcoming though, and I have my doubts if they would.

If the Manage My Booking is showing the higher baggage allowance, then I guess the OP could use that as evidence (or a piece with which to argue his/her case).