FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Double Fly On Points Promotion 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1884733-double-fly-points-promotion-2018-a.html)

lcpteck Dec 27, 2017 2:28 am

Double Fly On Points Promotion 2018

FLY ON Members only JAL Group Domestic Flight Double FLY ON Points Promotion "for a month of your choice"

Promotion Period

2018: April 1, 2018 (Sunday) - March 31, 2019 (Sunday)(flight date)

Promotion Registration Period

2018: Registration will be accepted on/after December 1, 2017 (Friday)

Eligible Members

2018: JAL Mileage Bank (JMB) members who qualify for 2018 FLY ON status based on the flight activity from January through December, 2017.

lcpteck Dec 27, 2017 2:30 am

Didn't see this post anywhere so here you go.

Based on the wording of the eligibility, I assume this is for anyone who qualified as a status member during the 2017 period? So as long as one gets Crystal and above in 2017, one would qualify?

JALPak Dec 27, 2017 2:38 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 29218378)
Didn't see this post anywhere so here you go.

Based on the wording of the eligibility, I assume this is for anyone who qualified as a status member during the 2017 period? So as long as one gets Crystal and above in 2017, one would qualify?

Yes, JMB Crystal, JMB Sapphire, JGC Premier, and JMB Diamonds. Same promotion as last year.

Yes, we won't have a specific thread for this but @CPH-Flyer has posted this promotion will be extended when we were speculation whether some promotions will be extended.

lcpteck Dec 27, 2017 2:55 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29218382)
Yes, JMB Crystal, JMB Sapphire, JGC Premier, and JMB Diamonds. Same promotion as last year.

Yes, we won't have a specific thread for this but @CPH-Flyer has posted this promotion will be extended when we were speculation whether some promotions will be extended.

Looks like I have to plan for this, I just finished my qualifying flight for JGC Premier and is waiting for the flights to post these few days and hopefully status updated by this year. That means I would have to re-qualify again in 2018 calendar year for 2019 status right?

JALPak Dec 27, 2017 3:09 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 29218406)
Looks like I have to plan for this, I just finished my qualifying flight for JGC Premier and is waiting for the flights to post these few days and hopefully status updated by this year. That means I would have to re-qualify again in 2018 calendar year for 2019 status right?

Yea this is for 2019 or 2020 status depending on which month you register for. If I keep my normal flying pattern, I may not even need this promotion unless I want to go for JMB Diamond next year LOL

lcpteck Dec 27, 2017 4:51 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29218419)
Yea this is for 2019 or 2020 status depending on which month you register for. If I keep my normal flying pattern, I may not even need this promotion unless I want to go for JMB Diamond next year LOL

Okay, I'll just wait for my flights/status to be updated in the meantime.

CPH-Flyer Dec 27, 2017 8:51 am

This is the worst campaign, it has no point what so ever. I got a questionnaire about JMB campaigns, and rated this accordingly. Hopefully they'll wake up eventually and run better campaigns.

JALPak Dec 27, 2017 9:49 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29219138)
This is the worst campaign, it has no point what so ever. I got a questionnaire about JMB campaigns, and rated this accordingly. Hopefully they'll wake up eventually and run better campaigns.

I wouldn't say no point whatsoever. I did took a couple more domestic flights because of this campaign this year and went the extra mile to go for JGCP. So JAL got ~USD2000 more from me because of the campaign. But also because I flown too much in the month I registered for the 2x FOPs, I don't have to fly as much next year to re-qualify next year by shifting my Nov/Dec trip to Dec/Jan LOL

CPH-Flyer Dec 27, 2017 10:08 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29219400)
I wouldn't say no point whatsoever. I did took a couple more domestic flights because of this campaign this year and went the extra mile to go for JGCP. So JAL got ~USD2000 more from me because of the campaign.

The question is if those 2000 USD is worth the added price of the lounge visits through the year, and various other services added. Depending on your flying patterns it quickly becomes borderline bad business.

JALPak Dec 27, 2017 10:22 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29219481)
The question is if those 2000 USD is worth the added price of the lounge visits through the year, and various other services added. Depending on your flying patterns it quickly becomes borderline bad business.

For Sapphire vs JGCP, it's only a relatively small difference between F and J lounge fee. But for Crystal vs Sapphire/Emerald, there's a bigger difference. And according to the CX board, the CX lounge dragon "confirmed" it's the operating carrier who pays for the entry. So JAL doesn't have to pay the extra fees when the FLY ON members fly on other carriers.

So for me, JL got extra US$2000 and probably will have to pay QF US$100-200 extra for the F lounge at LAX (Sometimes I even skipped the lounge visit because I was running late) and CX F lounge at HKG (but I plan to stick to the QF lounge as I only go there for a bottle of water unless I have too much time to kill). Then I got the lounge coupons and JAL coupons as the gift which is US$250-350 depending on where I use the lounge coupon. So it's not that bad for my case :) Not sure about others though.

But then there's another problem of having more higher tier FLY ON members which makes it less exclusive.

CPH-Flyer Dec 27, 2017 10:55 am

One part is indeed that there are already way too many status members, it does partially take the point away of being status member. A second part is that I doubt the bigger part of the financial gain, but it does truly depend on flying patterns. Last part is strictly personal, but I have already bookings in place worth 60K FOP, so I have zero reason to even sign up for any month.

JALPak Dec 27, 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29219656)
One part is indeed that there are already way too many status members, it does partially take the point away of being status member. A second part is that I doubt the bigger part of the financial gain, but it does truly depend on flying patterns. Last part is strictly personal, but I have already bookings in place worth 60K FOP, so I have zero reason to even sign up for any month.

Yea I was amazed by the number of so called elites on my last LAX-NRT flight. I only saw half of the manifest and at least 50% of them have JGC and there were 2 PRST! :eek:

If you sign up for a month, you may be able to make PRST this year but I doubt it's FOP based though :p

CPH-Flyer Dec 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29219856)
Yea I was amazed by the number of so called elites on my last LAX-NRT flight. I only saw half of the manifest and at least 50% of them have JGC and there were 2 PRST! :eek:

If you sign up for a month, you may be able to make PRST this year but I doubt it's FOP based though :p

What is PRST? And is there an official qualification level?

JALPak Dec 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29220057)
What is PRST? And is there an official qualification level?

Prestige. There’s no announced qualification level.

CPH-Flyer Dec 28, 2017 1:38 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29221354)

Prestige. There’s no announced qualification level.

I guessed there would not be. I would think it will mainly be 会長 and 社長 from major Japanese companies, so I will be pretty far down the list waiting for a card....