No more Salon from 2018?

Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Very sad. Cristal is excellent, but Salon is something else... Some of the other F wines planned are really disappointing still.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Having tried Salon, Cristal and Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill on ground with proper glassware (Burgundy Glass) and proper wine treatment (Decanted Salon and Pol Roger), I would say Salon is a totally different class of it's own..... But again tasting Salon in the sky is kind of a waste as well.
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Having tried Salon, Cristal and Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill on ground with proper glassware (Burgundy Glass) and proper wine treatment (Decanted Salon and Pol Roger), I would say Salon is a totally different class of it's own..... But again tasting Salon in the sky is kind of a waste as well.
Salon most certainly does not come in to its proper form on an airplane. And especially with the young vintages JAL served. But still in my view the best glass of champagne in the sky, so far. I look forward to trying how the other options behave in the air.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
But again tasting Salon in the sky is kind of a waste as well.
But perhaps better than never getting to taste Salon at all, no?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: OWP, *G, IHG Spire, HH Diam., McD FF Plat.
Bummer. Have very fond memories of the 2002 Salon and Kusuda pinot on a flight a few years ago. Even at 40k ft, the Salon was incredible! Rather than Cristal, they should've gone for something more esoteric like Selosse or Billecart Nicholas or even vintage Krug. But brand bling and production volumes probably prevailed.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:29 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Cristal is not that much cheaper than Salon. But at least they picked something that is not common among other carriers. I guess the lack of clarity is due to a gradual transition as stock runs out.

I am not Cristal fan. But I am fairly sure I can suppres the gag reflexes long enough to drink it....
speaking of gag reflexes, I am currently trying to fight that. Churchill you recommended is way too strong for me (and the menu says this is gentle!? Lol). I am switching back to Cristal for the rest of the flight
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

speaking of gag reflexes, I am currently trying to fight that. Churchill you recommended is way too strong for me (and the menu says this is gentle!? Lol). I am switching back to Cristal for the rest of the flight
At least we will never have to fight over the last bottle of Churchill ....
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:44 am
Original Poster

At least we will never have to fight over the last bottle of Churchill ....
But I will ask the CA to reserve 1/8 of the last bottle since I am “entitled” to it just to piss you off LOL
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Anyone have an update on this? I believe I have seen a few trip reports in 2018 showing they are still serving Salon.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are still not serving Salon.

Until new vintages are available, they will have to find alternative options.

​​​​​​. ..
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
They are still not serving Salon.

Until new vintages are available, they will have to find alternative options.

​​​​​​. ..
Hopefully JAL will be able to get their hands on some 2007. The 2008 is only being bottled in Magnums, so they seem like poor candidates for serving in-flight. There also won't be another vintage for quite some time, as Salon has already announced there won't be bottling 2009-2012.

All in all, I wouldn't get my hopes up for the next several years. But we may get lucky with the 2007.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After a bit of Googling I found that the 2007 is already in shops, so I guess we will know semi soon if JAL got a batch of them

I should go to my usual supplier and see if they have some, seems like there is a dry spell coming as I very rarely have the opportunity to open a magnum, I will probably not be trying the 2008.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

!? gagging on churchill?
When will the november duty free be out for reservations btw?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
!? gagging on churchill?
When will the november duty free be out for reservations btw?
end of oct
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

end of oct
like the last week?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.