Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canceling January flights now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Canceling January flights now?

Way back in April I purchased one of the $328 US-Singapore round trip fares on JAL for a trip in January 2018, gambling that at that price I'd be able to get the time off work. Sadly due to work and other personal reasons it's not going to happen for sure.

If I know that, is there any reason I should notify JAL now? Based on my reading of this forum, it would seem advantageous to wait until the last minute on the small chance that there is a significant service change or some weather event that forces them to cancel/significantly reschedule the flight, which would presumably allow me to call and get some kind of credit for something due to the major schedule change. (This seems highly unlikely, but you never know!)

I have no expectations on getting my money back as it was a nonrefundable fare and I gambled in April 2017 that it would work for January 2018 (oh well!) but I just want to make sure there's nothing I haven't thought of.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
So basically you are wishing for disaster to happen to the people in US/Japan/Singapore so that you can get your money back?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
So basically you are wishing for disaster to happen to the people in US/Japan/Singapore so that you can get your money back?
I'm sorry, when did I say I was "wishing for disaster"? Aside from not answering my question, there's no need to exaggerate my intentions. All I meant was that if for ANY REASON a flight should be canceled -- out of my control, obviously, but perhaps it needs to be said so no one else accuses me of wishing disaster on anyone -- it would allow me a refund. That's it.

Thanks for the help. /sarcasm
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by andrewesque
If I know that, is there any reason I should notify JAL now?
none. just eat the loss or get the time off!
Based on my reading of this forum, it would seem advantageous to wait until the last minute on the small chance that there is a significant service change or some weather event that forces them to cancel/significantly reschedule the flight, which would presumably allow me to call and get some kind of credit for something due to the major schedule change. (This seems highly unlikely, but you never know!)
keep your fingers crossed!

I have no expectations on getting my money back as it was a nonrefundable fare and I gambled in April 2017 that it would work for January 2018 (oh well!) but I just want to make sure there's nothing I haven't thought of.
find someone with your name and wishing to fly to Singapore, and sell them your ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.